TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sad day for Me and my SGT

azmartin

It's was a sad day this Monday. I stepped out of my F-150 nothing abnormal, stepped down and heard a loud POP. It was crazy, couldn't move my right ankle without severe pain. Went to my Chiroprator, his office is close, xrayed. I had a problem. Seen the Foot master later in the day, he confirmed. I have a severe avulsion, the tendon pulled a piece of the bone away from my heel. Sucks, 3 weeks then re-xray, 4 to 6 weeks of not much anything. To much effort on that foot and could pull the whole tendon off, then major surgery. My son said if it would make me feel better he would drive me around in the SGT, not the same. :shift: I know it would make him feel better.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go to Flagstaff in Sept for the Route 66 Days. Be careful out there, don't play to hard, look what happens. :cry:

I am finally starting to realize what my wife means when she tells me I'm not 25 anymore. I have coached wrestling for over 10 years at the high school level, so I stay in shape, very active always going and going, never had this type of thing happen. I guess it's time my mind speeds up and my body slows down.

Keep those Shelby's running, make up some road time for me. :shift:

I'll just be eating :lurk: and :finger: and :banghead: my head against the wall for the next 3 weeks or so.

The trouble with that kind of injury - beyond the pain and inconvenience - is that we tend to regard them as less serious than broken bones, take more chances during the healing, and re-injure them. That sucker should be in a cast, my non-medical opinion.

Take better care of it than you think you should. Strong, healthy-healing vibes sent your way.

Thats what happens when you get old....stuff starts falling off...

I'm 47, still play Ice Hockey (usually) every week, and EVERY morning after, it gets harder, with a longer recovery time to get moving...but damn it, I love it so...

Any who, speedy recovery...

FEEL BETTER MY FRIEND ; NOTHING WORSE THAN BONE AND TENDON

PROBLEMS WITH YOUR FEET. JUST A HEADS UP TO TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY.

IT TOOK ME AN EXTRA 3 WEEKS TO HEAL FROM THE SAME INJURY YOU HAVE.

I HAVE A F-250 AND I REPEATLY HAD FOOT PROBLEMS UNTIL I FINAL REALIZED THAT

WHEN I WAS GETTING OUT OF MY TRUCK I WAS STEPPING DOWN ON TO THE

PAVEMENT AND CAUSING TENDON AND SMALL STRESS FACTURES. TO SUM IT

UP IT HAPPEN 4 OR 5 TIMES IN 1 YEAR. :banghead: B.O.L.

SCOTTY

Getting old really stinks. I hope you get better sooner than later.

I am 45 now. a few years ago I had to give up playing softball or go under the knife for surgery. I chose to give up softball. If you knew me, this was really tough as I have played ball since I was 6 years old.

It's was a sad day this Monday. I stepped out of my F-150 nothing abnormal, stepped down and heard a loud POP. It was crazy, couldn't move my right ankle without severe pain. Went to my Chiroprator, his office is close, xrayed. I had a problem. Seen the Foot master later in the day, he confirmed. I have a severe avulsion, the tendon pulled a piece of the bone away from my heel. Sucks, 3 weeks then re-xray, 4 to 6 weeks of not much anything. To much effort on that foot and could pull the whole tendon off, then major surgery. My son said if it would make me feel better he would drive me around in the SGT, not the same. :shift: I know it would make him feel better.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go to Flagstaff in Sept for the Route 66 Days. Be careful out there, don't play to hard, look what happens. :cry:

Know just how you feel I really want to take my SGT down to So Cal this week end , for the 281 MotorSports Team Shelby event , My car is on the front of 281 Motor Sports Flyer , however I ruptured my right achellies tendon (SNAP!) , had surgery two weeks ago, and it's just not safe to try and drive it the boot I'm wearing .............I just look at the car (07SGT 0652 White) and keep waxing it .

Zale Schuster

Achilles Tendon Rupture July 19 2009

Achilles Rupture occurred at Lopez Lake approx 10:00Am July 19 2009 on North side of Lake on Towolski Trail while trying to maintain balance after coming to a stop on stop on my mountain bike on a 30 degree incline . The surface was irregular rock, and when I put my right foot down it had all my weight but at a radical angle , I did hear a snap, but after a minute I was back up on my feet . I rode the bike back about 3 miles ,not locked into the pedal but with my heal on the center of the pedal . There was no pain unless I put pressure on the ball of the foot to push off with my toes . I knew it was more than a strain when I stopped at the lake parking lot and took off my shoe , I could see a slight bulge between the heal and the calf and where I would expect to see a taught Achilles tendon just above the heal ,there was slight depression , and softness. I knew right away what had happened.

I saw Dr. Haverty my General Practitioner on Monday , and his diagnoses was that I most likely I had a right achellies tendon rupture. I was comfortable on it with crutches and went to work on Tuesday. Wednesday I had an appointment with Dr, David Book , and he confirmed the achellies tendon rupture.

July 24th : Dr. Book arranged surgery for Friday and it was performed about 11:30 , Only discomfort I had was after the surgery I thru-up in the way home after surgery .I had some tightness in my chest which went away a couple days later.

The cast applied on Friday was removed the next Thursday the 30th, and Dr. Book felt the repair looked ok , he performed a Thompson test by squeezing my right calf and checking to see the tendon move my ankle. Rose put the cast back on , and I went to Nobbe Orthopedics to get a Bledsoe Achilles Boot fitted. The first one was too large and Jerry the Nobbe Tech ordered a medium which was fit on Friday the 31st of July , and if fits well.

I was fairly comfortable Saturday and Sunday and , took off the boot replacing it with the original cast when I went to sleep and putting the boot back on in the morning. I was also able to shower on Friday night , and Sunday morning .....felt very good .

Staples will be removed Monday morning tomorrow. Swelling is almost gone, no pain ,just some tenderness in the tendon. Still trying not to put too much weight on it.

August 3 rd Today the 12 staples were removed , no pain Rosie did it in two minutes, and applied 12 little skin tapes. Will have a meeting with Dr. book on Wed. to see how long before rehab . I re-fit the boot today adding the heal strap/retainer , and trimming 2.5” off the large calf wrap , it is much more comfortable, and my heal stays centered on the supports.

August 5th. Went back to see Dr. Book , and he is satisfied with the post-op so far. The incision is healing fast , and it seems that the tendon is where it should be , I go back in 4 weeks . He said I can do some air exercise when I remove the boot ,just flexing the ankle, but won’t start the rehab for another 3/4 weeks. I have tinkered with the boot , and it’s assortment of straps , and stays, and I have it pretty comfortable with lots of support , I can walk on it without too much difficulty ,but I will stay on the cruches as much as possible for ,,,,,,,,,,I don’t know couple of months , I guess ????

Know just how you feel I really want to take my SGT down to So Cal this week end , for the 281 MotorSports Team Shelby event , My car is on the front of 281 Motor Sports Flyer , however I ruptured my right achellies tendon (SNAP!) , had surgery two weeks ago, and it's just not safe to try and drive it the boot I'm wearing .............I just look at the car (07SGT 0652 White) and keep waxing it .

Zale Schuster

Achilles Tendon Rupture July 19 2009

Achilles Rupture occurred at Lopez Lake approx 10:00Am July 19 2009 on North side of Lake on Towolski Trail while trying to maintain balance after coming to a stop on stop on my mountain bike on a 30 degree incline . The surface was irregular rock, and when I put my right foot down it had all my weight but at a radical angle , I did hear a snap, but after a minute I was back up on my feet . I rode the bike back about 3 miles ,not locked into the pedal but with my heal on the center of the pedal . There was no pain unless I put pressure on the ball of the foot to push off with my toes . I knew it was more than a strain when I stopped at the lake parking lot and took off my shoe , I could see a slight bulge between the heal and the calf and where I would expect to see a taught Achilles tendon just above the heal ,there was slight depression , and softness. I knew right away what had happened.

I saw Dr. Haverty my General Practitioner on Monday , and his diagnoses was that I most likely I had a right achellies tendon rupture. I was comfortable on it with crutches and went to work on Tuesday. Wednesday I had an appointment with Dr, David Book , and he confirmed the achellies tendon rupture.

July 24th : Dr. Book arranged surgery for Friday and it was performed about 11:30 , Only discomfort I had was after the surgery I thru-up in the way home after surgery .I had some tightness in my chest which went away a couple days later.

The cast applied on Friday was removed the next Thursday the 30th, and Dr. Book felt the repair looked ok , he performed a Thompson test by squeezing my right calf and checking to see the tendon move my ankle. Rose put the cast back on , and I went to Nobbe Orthopedics to get a Bledsoe Achilles Boot fitted. The first one was too large and Jerry the Nobbe Tech ordered a medium which was fit on Friday the 31st of July , and if fits well.

I was fairly comfortable Saturday and Sunday and , took off the boot replacing it with the original cast when I went to sleep and putting the boot back on in the morning. I was also able to shower on Friday night , and Sunday morning .....felt very good .

Staples will be removed Monday morning tomorrow. Swelling is almost gone, no pain ,just some tenderness in the tendon. Still trying not to put too much weight on it.

August 3 rd Today the 12 staples were removed , no pain Rosie did it in two minutes, and applied 12 little skin tapes. Will have a meeting with Dr. book on Wed. to see how long before rehab . I re-fit the boot today adding the heal strap/retainer , and trimming 2.5” off the large calf wrap , it is much more comfortable, and my heal stays centered on the supports.

August 5th. Went back to see Dr. Book , and he is satisfied with the post-op so far. The incision is healing fast , and it seems that the tendon is where it should be , I go back in 4 weeks . He said I can do some air exercise when I remove the boot ,just flexing the ankle, but won’t start the rehab for another 3/4 weeks. I have tinkered with the boot , and it’s assortment of straps , and stays, and I have it pretty comfortable with lots of support , I can walk on it without too much difficulty ,but I will stay on the cruches as much as possible for ,,,,,,,,,,I don’t know couple of months , I guess ????

Thanks for the story. You had the surgery, I am so not wanting that. Have my boot on, no weigth on it, no driving, no nothing, should be good in 4 to 6 weeks. Starting to rethink my activities. I am going to stay busy with my paperwork and do some phone contact work. I know I damaged or stressed the tendon,bone up while hiking on the moutain a few days before, and probably stressed it numerous times with no healing in between. Based on your incedent I am lucky I was just stepping down in a parking lot close to help. I do Hope youl heal well. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the story. You had the surgery, I am so not wanting that. Have my boot on, no weigth on it, no driving, no nothing, should be good in 4 to 6 weeks. Starting to rethink my activities. I am going to stay busy with my paperwork and do some phone contact work. I know I damaged or stressed the tendon,bone up while hiking on the moutain a few days before, and probably stressed it numerous times with no healing in between. Based on your incedent I am lucky I was just stepping down in a parking lot close to help. I do Hope youl heal well. Keep us posted.

I had this achilles surgery too including a modification because I blew out my peroneal (spelling) tendon also and tore the ligaments. I had mytek pins place in the ankle to hold the things together and lost 1/2 my peoneal (spelling again) tendon (vertically 1/2 that is). Doctors told me a year before I could run again and 12-18mos to jump out of planes. I was running 5 miles a day less than 60 days later and jumping out of planes 75 days later. A great mental attitude about it goes a long way! (as you know being a wrestling coach)

Best of luck and hopefully the pain goes down soon.

Feel better and speedy recovery!!!

I had this achilles surgery too including a modification because I blew out my peroneal (spelling) tendon also and tore the ligaments. I had mytek pins place in the ankle to hold the things together and lost 1/2 my peoneal (spelling again) tendon (vertically 1/2 that is). Doctors told me a year before I could run again and 12-18mos to jump out of planes. I was running 5 miles a day less than 60 days later and jumping out of planes 75 days later. A great mental attitude about it goes a long way! (as you know being a wrestling coach)

Best of luck and hopefully the pain goes down soon.

Thanks for the reply. This just scared the crap out of me. My brother is a Doc and told me I was very lucky. Just need to keep positive, don't push to hard and should be good. Wrestling practice will start here soon. :dance:

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

:happy feet: :happy feet: Just returned from the Doc. XRays look good, bones healing well, I have been a good boy. I am sure if I wasn't waiting to drive my SGT :shift: I would have not been as well behaved and messed up my heal bones, and tendons real good. At least no surgery, bones, tendons are looking good. The Doc doesn't have to pin the bones back together. Still a few more weeks to heal but, YESSSSS. I promised my wife, "No more stupid". Who says you can't fix stupid?

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

:happy feet: :happy feet: Just returned from the Doc. XRays look good, bones healing well, I have been a good boy. I am sure if I wasn't waiting to drive my SGT :shift: I would have not been as well behaved and messed up my heal bones, and tendons real good. At least no surgery, bones, tendons are looking good. The Doc doesn't have to pin the bones back together. Still a few more weeks to heal but, YESSSSS. I promised my wife, "No more stupid". Who says you can't fix stupid?

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

Glad to hear you're doing well! On the plus side you're in AZ! So you have plenty of driving in the months ahead. If you were here in Chicago you would be getting back to 100% just as the snow started. :banghead:

Trust me, this has not been fun, looking at my SGT, washing the SGT, sitting in the SGT, Going NO Where in the SGT. :cry:

Soon, yes Soon. :shift: :happy feet:

Glad to hear you're back on the road to recovery. I find that as I get older I need to take more Tylenol after any activity.

Hey, maybe I can get finally my cams and delete plates in my car. Problem is/was, I couldn't lean over at all, no stretching of the heal area. So not even able to work under the hood. I will have them in by October, hopefully and will let you know how it goes.

Great ta hear that you are almost there...!!!!!! Just think how great that first drive will feel....

Glad ta hear that you don't have pins or anything like that...

I shattered my wrist a few years ago and had pins and that friggin external fixator...can't imagine what thar would be like on a leg...if they even use it for that...

anyways..

hang tough Bro'

your day is coming..!!!!!

Archived