TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whats your profession

alaska

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Cool thread, thanks Alaska.

Greetings and salutations to all our brethren, especially the military, law enforcement and fire fighters. Thank you for all you do!

Another Fire Protection industry guy here! Detection side however.

18 years with SimplexGrinnell in Canada. Started with them in Toronto and moved to Edmonton close to 4 years ago. :cold:

Many unique experiences working in the Diamond mines of the Northwest Territories. As seen on "Ice Road Truckers".

Also, alot of work in Fort MacMurray with the booming Oil Sands production. :sandbox: and locally as well.

No shortage of work in the industry here for sure.

Never had a "Muscle" car before, but began to feel the need....was considering an older Vette, then started looking at the current Factory offerings from all manufacturers and as soon as I saw the 2010 GT500, my search was over. The next week I was at a dealer and hopefully within a month the rest will be history!

Cheers, Andy

I'm 45 and I'm in charge of machine maintenance at a packaging plant. I've been with the company since it started over 15 years ago. I do all of the installations, assemblies, electrical and fabrication also. It's been a great job. I've been as far away as Italy and most recently, Toronto and Cleveland, to check out machinery before putting it in our plant. At our busiest, I had four mechanics working for me. Business did slow down a lot though a few months ago so now I'm back to wrenching and taking care of everything myself.

I've been busy as hell recently trying to keep up with everything so I'd say that's a sign that things are starting to pick back up. We're also installing our second new production line this year so it looks like my job is secure.

I've had some great cars in my day, a '68 Javelin, '69 Torino 351W 4V coupe, 2 '87 RX-7 Turbo II's, and an '06 RX-8. I always loved the old Shelby's and grew up a Ford guy so it was awesome to finally get my own Shelby.

Hi, Cool thread, thanks Alaska.

Greetings and salutations to all our brethren, especially the military, law enforcement and fire fighters. Thank you for all you do!

Another Fire Protection industry guy here! Detection side however.

18 years with SimplexGrinnell in Canada. Started with them in Toronto and moved to Edmonton close to 4 years ago. :cold:

Many unique experiences working in the Diamond mines of the Northwest Territories. As seen on "Ice Road Truckers".

Also, alot of work in Fort MacMurray with the booming Oil Sands production. :sandbox: and locally as well.

No shortage of work in the industry here for sure.

Never had a "Muscle" car before, but began to feel the need....was considering an older Vette, then started looking at the current Factory offerings from all manufacturers and as soon as I saw the 2010 GT500, my search was over. The next week I was at a dealer and hopefully within a month the rest will be history!

Cheers, Andy

Andy I got my start when simplex grinnell was ony grinnell here in alaska was with them for 10 years they were great to me and I still have a lot of good friends there. I also have my NICET in fire alarm also. Edmonton in nice I drove through in March bringing a new work truck back from pheonix.

Andy I got my start when simplex grinnell was ony grinnell here in alaska was with them for 10 years they were great to me and I still have a lot of good friends there. I also have my NICET in fire alarm also. Edmonton in nice I drove through in March bringing a new work truck back from pheonix.

Alaska, good for your son, it is a great profession, very rewarding, and if you can be successful in private practice, you can make a great living. So much safer than taking medicine for musculoskeletal conditions, and much more effective. Nothing against MD's, but when it comes to back pain, neck pain, Chiropractors are the best at treating these conditions. Palmar is a great school, so is National Chiropractic College in Chicago. I learned my technique there, but went to school in Los Angeles, at Cleveland Chiropractic college. If you or your son have any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

:banghead:

WTF!!! :redcard: Have you been riding the bus? how is this even possible? The only way I can figure this is you are a FWD or AWD guy....lol :headscratch:

LOL....really just could not resist giving you a hard time about this. I have had motorcycles with 2x as much HP as in your comment. :hysterical:

Just take it easy when you get her. Remeber there will be ZERO torque steer. This is a RWD beast...Enjoy...

OH yeah!!! Please leave the traction control on...!!! :hysterical:

Actually, can you convert CC to HP? It was a 1976 Toyota Corolla SR5 (Sport Coupe) as my first car. I don't think the car had a HP rating. The only thing I recall is 1600 CC's. Anyway, the car was pretty awesome - overhead digital diags, cluster gauge stock on dash, and used points and distributor cap.

47 y.o old in a few weeks, 25 years at the same company.

I'm the Vice President, and we manufacture hydraulic automatic swimming pool safety covers.

I've been here so long, I've seen and survived other downturns before (not at this level mind you).

Our industry (pools & spas) was down nationally about 40-60% last year. As I mentioned, I've gone thru this before, and I knew our downturn would be delayed until this year, and it has materialized.

Fortunately for us, we are NOWHERE nears those numbers, for these reasons,

1) the best team (employees) around

2) the best product in the industry. Period!

3) we ship worldwide, so we have diversification

Thats my story, I'm stickin' to it! After 25 years, I'm like that bad rash, they just can't get rid of me :hysterical:

47 y.o old in a few weeks, 25 years at the same company.

I'm the Vice President, and we manufacture hydraulic automatic swimming pool safety covers.

I've been here so long, I've seen and survived other downturns before (not at this level mind you).

Our industry (pools & spas) was down nationally about 40-60% last year. As I mentioned, I've gone thru this before, and I knew our downturn would be delayed until this year, and it has materialized.

Fortunately for us, we are NOWHERE nears those numbers, for these reasons,

1) the best team (employees) around

2) the best product in the industry. Period!

3) we ship worldwide, so we have diversification

Thats my story, I'm stickin' to it! After 25 years, I'm like that bad rash, they just can't get rid of me :hysterical:

I now your industry must be suffering I actually picked up a service van out of Phoenix in March that belonged to a pool service company that went under. That was quite the drive I flew down on a Monday picked up the truck headed straight home for Alaska got in that Friday night total 0f 3,989 miles drove it alone. Good luck and hopefully things will pick up soon.

I've spent the last 28 years working at a small manufacturing company (machine shop). We manufacture parts for the Aerospace, Automobile, Medical and Defense industries. We've got parts circling the earth in Satellites, parts in the Space Shuttle and even parts on the surface of Mars.

Just like Tom (Cali KR ) I'm like that bad rash, they just can't get rid of me as well.

I'm 64 yoa and have had Mustangs since 1984. My college roommate had a new 66 GT350 and after that, I was hooked. Grew up in Florida, graduated from USF in 68 and went into the military for two fun-filled years. Got married while in the service and moved to Montgomery County, Md. Took a job with the Mont. Co Dept. of Police and stayed for 32 years. I spent the last twenty in the homicide section. Retired in 03 and worked for a friend's Ford dealership for a while, but was offered a position in DOD that I couldn't refuse.

Enjoying semi-retirement and my 07 GT500 is my fifth new Mustang. Have had all manner of Ford performance cars; SVT contour, and two SHO's. Still always come back to the Mustangs. Wife is now looking at the new 2010 SHO. Will it never end? We definitely have a diverse group here and I enjoy reading the threads and participating when the need arrises.

33y/o, work in IT as a network admin for a bank in Albuquerque NM. Been in IT for about 7 years. Come from a very small town in the southeast corner of NM, where the only good jobs are Potash Mining and Oil Field work. I've done both, and both are good old fashioned hard work and good pay for the area. Only issue is both jobs tend have cycles about every 2-3 years where about 80% of the employees are laid-off. Luckily I've been able to bounce back and forth between the two. But always had an interest in technology and got all my certs, etc while working the mines. I got sick of worrying about how I was going to feed my family and moved to ABQ. Been working my way up the ladder ever since. As far as the recent tough times, the bank I work for took zero bailout money and is very conservative. We actually have done well through this period, considering all.

I've owned a few potential muscle cars, some mustangs and ragged camaro's. Tried with what I could to beef them up but always wound having to sell them off. I've always had to drive the clunker while I made sure the wife has a nice vehicle. Now that it's my turn, we started looking at Chally's and the Camaro since I love all American muscle. First time I saw the 2010 GT500 I was sold. it was from the front and I could see the hint of an AC Cobra in the grille. (reason I ordered it Kona with white stripes, wife wanted black on black) As for this highly debated "rear-end" I love it. I love the car from every single angle. You cant make it look bad. I'm not a fan of the HID lights(personal preference) But even with them you cant make it look bad. Ford brought their A game with this one.

It's good to see all you hard-working guys getting your well deserved GT500's. I hope to be joining you sometime next week hopefully. But this car has been a long time coming for me, whats a few more weeks right?

I'm 45, spent 20 years in the Marines, retired as a Major and have been working for a large defense/homeland security company for the last three years. Although I live in the Charleston, SC area, I'm currently the head of business development for the Louisiana/Mississippi area.

Have owned lots of Mustangs/Cobras, including a 95 Cobra R that I road race (though the car is still better than I am). Currently getting ready to run an 88 Mustang 4 cylinder in the 24 Hours of LeMons at the Lemons Fall South Race in September. Name of our team is Infidel Racing.....mostly we are former/retired military.

Loving my Grabber Blue coupe, had it to 125 on the day that I picked it up from the dealer.....

Sempre Fidelis, "Devil." :D

:salute:

I retired just over a year ago, after working 35+ years in Electrtical Engeneering at a local electric utility. Fortunately, I bailed out of my 401k before the stock market crash and put most of it in 5% insured bank CDs. One of the best decisions I ever made!

Another good decision was purchasing a 2010 GT 500, which I received a little over a week ago. Was a big car fan from my teens and my favorite was the 427 Cobra that Shelby first introduced. Have have a few other interesting vehicles, including an '85 V-Max, a 2006 GSXR 1000, now a Can-Am Spyder 3-wheeler and a V Star 1100 Silverado. Prev. had an 85 RX-7 GSL SE and a 2006 Must. GT, with K&N CAI and Magnaflow axle-backs.

Only have 135 miles on my GT500, so far, but really like it, even though I am waiting a while before really getting on it. It is silver-black with nav. Looks great, pictures do it no justice. The geek in me loves the nav syst, ripping CDs and downloading pics, including the coba emblem that, unfortunately disappears, a few seconds after ignition!

I think I am the old guy here. Just turned 57. Retiring this winter after 35 years as an Air TRAFFIC CONTROL SUPERVISOR. Worked for Ford here in CANADA IN 1970 -1972 AND CAMPAIGNED A 1970 SCJ 428 HARDTOP. BLEW IT UP IN Brainard and replaced with a boss 302 - tunnel ram - 490 hp - 5.14 gears ; ran it in E mod prod.1975 bought a 69 mach 1 with a 427 2x4 from a 67 fairlane/ fmx auto. TRIED A VETTE ( 1971 ) NEXT BUT IT ATE PARTS LIKE CRAZY..aLLmy other cars are ACURAS NOW other than the gt500.

Also had a mint 1990 gt 5.0 vert but got bored of it.

MET MY WIFE OF 36 YEARS AT THE STRIP IN 1970.The new car is my retirement gift. Love it but will get more hp soon.

Great site. TAKE CARE !!!!!!!

I think I am the old guy here. Just turned 57. Retiring this winter after 35 years as an Air TRAFFIC CONTROL SUPERVISOR. Worked for Ford here in CANADA IN 1970 -1972 AND CAMPAIGNED A 1970 SCJ 428 HARDTOP. BLEW IT UP IN Brainard and replaced with a boss 302 - tunnel ram - 490 hp - 5.14 gears ; ran it in E mod prod.1975 bought a 69 mach 1 with a 427 2x4 from a 67 fairlane/ fmx auto. TRIED A VETTE ( 1971 ) NEXT BUT IT ATE PARTS LIKE CRAZY..aLLmy other cars are ACURAS NOW other than the gt500.

Also had a mint 1990 gt 5.0 vert but got bored of it.

MET MY WIFE OF 36 YEARS AT THE STRIP IN 1970.The new car is my retirement gift. Love it but will get more hp soon.

Great site. TAKE CARE !!!!!!!

There are a couple of us "Old Guys" here on the forum.

My most memorable experience with an Air Traffic Controller was several years ago. I was doing some IFR training in the clouds at 3,500 ft., 17 NM North East of the airport. We were doing an intersection hold while waiting for clearance to begin the ILS approach.

The Cessna Cardinal swallowed a valve, we declared an emergency and the young airman at Tyndall AFB (they furnished our radar) took good care of us as we glided back towards the airport in the clouds.

We broke out around 1800 ft, engine vibrating badly but still running with very little power. The controller asked us for the usual stuff, souls on board, fuel remaing etc. The old Grizzled Instructer that was with me had flown combat in both Korea and Vietnam told him "Tyndall we are going to have to get back to you in a minute, we are looking for a place to crash right now."

That remark kind of broke the tension for me and we both laughed, I flew the plane, the Instructor kept noting landing areas as we glided along.

When the valve broke off, most of it went out of the cylinder in to the exhaust, we found a large piece of it balled up in the muffler. The piston had pounded the heck out of it. Some small pieces went in to the crankcase but the engine kept running long enough with a little power to stretch our glide to the runway.

I called Tyndall later and commended the young airman for helping us with vectors and clearing the airspace for us, he was very cool during the emergency. It helps to have someone to talk to with you are in trouble. :beerchug: :beerchug:

I had an expensive overhaul on the engine.

Steve

I'm 61 and sold my Property & Casualty Insurance agency last year. My wife and i are both retired , she has 30 years teaching retirement. I invested alot in the stock market over 25 years and moved 60% out in may 2007. Put some in a 5 year cd paying 5% and bought some bonds funds . I get a retirement from Aetna @ 65. We earn way more than we spend and will never out live our savings. Paid off my house 10 years ago . My son went to Ga Tech on a baseball ride so that didn't cost me anything. Then went on to play pro ball for a few years. I have seen the ups and downs of the economy many times and it allways seems that the current down is allways the worst when your in it. It will get better just save and invest. Don't buy on credit and the hell with keeping up with the jones, they are trying to keep up with you.

Oh i have owned over 15+ mustangs over those years. Bought a used 1970 Mach 1 in 1971 right out of college and haven't stop since. Some of the most fun ones were a 66 Shelby GT350, 69 GT350, 70 GT500, 70 Boss 302 ( several ) 1970 351 mach 1, 2001 cobra mustang, 2003 cobra" terminator", 2003 mach 1. 2007 SGT, 2007 saleen pj 302,2007 GT500, and alot of non Ford muscle over the years.

I'm 61 and sold my Property & Casualty Insurance agency last year. My wife and i are both retired , she has 30 years teaching retirement. I invested alot in the stock market over 25 years and toke 60% out in may 2007. Put some in a 5 year cd paying 5% and bought some bonds. I get a retirement from Aetna @ 65. We earn way more than we spend and will never out live our savings. Paid off my house 10 years ago . My son went to Ga Tech on a baseball ride so that didn't cost me anything. Then went on to play pro ball for a few years. I haved seen the ups and downs of the economy many times and it allways seems that the current down is allways the worst when your in it. It will get better just save and invest. Don't buy on credit and the hell with keeping up with the jones, they are trying to keep up with you.

Oh i have owned over 15+ mustangs over those years. Bought a used 1970 Mach 1 in 1971 right out of college and haven't stop since. Some of the most fun ones were a 66 Shelby GT350, 69 GT350, 70 GT500, 70 Boss 302 ( several ) 1970 351 mach 1, 2001 cobra mustang, 2003 cobra" terminator", 2003 mach 1. 2007 SGT, 2007 saleen pj 302,2007 GT500, and alot of non Ford muscle over the years.

Im 64 and retired 10 years ago from Lucent with 33 years service.Was a VP for their fiber optic business worldwide.Have a small strategy consulting business for fiber industry

Im 64 and retired 10 years ago from Lucent with 33 years service.Was a VP for their fiber optic business worldwide.Have a small strategy consulting business for fiber industry

Great

Physician

Well I quess that means that I am the only Funeral Director on this site:) Live at the the FH and work 24-7, been a partner with the firm for 2 years now. Life is good, when driving the Torch Red Monster :happy feet:

Archived