TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil changes?

I see what you are saying but when it does reset it will go to 100%. The topic here is dealing with engine failure or some part breaking due not following the manual. I don't think you can predict when something is going to fail so you would be resetting your reminder after the fact. And this will be checked. Also this all plays on the honesty issue. Anyone can lie about when they changed the oil. But when they pull the info from the computer and it has been several months and reminder has not been reset and you still have oil life left. How can ford blame the owner? They are just going buy what the car is telling them. But if you bring in a car with a failed part and the reminder was reset a day or two before and shows 99% or 100% oil life and the oil is dirty. Then yes they will know. That is what I was saying

I just think that the indicator is more of a convenience for the driver and would never be considered as evidence in any sort of warranty dispute because it has nothing to do with when you actually change the oil as you mention. JMHO... :lurk:

Yeah, but an oil change every 6 months? Come on that is just plain stupid. This should be dictated by mileage driving habits ect. And that is why going by the reminder can't be faulted. If ford did not want people to use this reminder they would have never put it in the car. I guess knowing what I do about oil and what it can do, I am just not sold on the 3k mile rule. But this is just me talking. Besides if this motor is as tough as people say it is oil should not be a issue, unless you use the wrong grade or pick up some trash in the pick up and it gets plugged. So I say to each his own. In the end just do what gives you piece of mind. We should enjoy our rides so do what makes you feel like you are taking care of her.

Yeah, but an oil change every 6 months? Come on that is just plain stupid. This should be dictated by mileage driving habits ect. And that is why going by the reminder can't be faulted. If ford did not want people to use this reminder they would have never put it in the car. I guess knowing what I do about oil and what it can do, I am just not sold on the 3k mile rule. But this is just me talking. Besides if this motor is as tough as people say it is oil should not be a issue, unless you use the wrong grade or pick up some trash in the pick up and it gets plugged. So I say to each his own. In the end just do what gives you piece of mind. We should enjoy our rides so do what makes you feel like you are taking care of her.

Six months seems stupid to me, too, but it is very specific in my '08 manuals.

Page 5 Of Scheduled Maintenance Guide....Maximum Oil Change Interval "Normal Schedule: 7,500 Miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first".

Page 2/3 Warranty Guide "Failure to perform scheduled manitenance as specified in the Scheduled Maitenance Guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance are retained with the vehicle....."

Like you said, each to his own....

I read a Mustang magazine not too long back that when the writer toured the Niche line they commented that that day they were building "Field Service Engines" for GT's. Wouldn't need "Field Service Engines" unless some where being replaced for some reason.....Bulletproof or not, some do fail apparently....

But your 08 does not have the oil life meter does it? What does it read in the. '10 guide? And if this is that important to ford then I am sure the ECM has been programmed to back what the guide reads. So I would think ford made the reminder run hand in hand with the oil change guideline. like I said before both trucks. I have now the guide states use the reminder. Also service mgr agreed this was acceptable on all cars equipped with this option.

Funny how things like oil always kick off a good debate. I love this site! And you all are great. A good way to learn things.

Archived