TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is anyone using a donut spare in their SGT? If so, where did you get it? Which one?

I had a 180 year old woman run me into a curb today, trying to avoid certain collision with the front end of her ginormous SUV downtown. She also nearly hit a couple of parked cars. She was talking on a cell, by the way, didn't seem to notice and didn't even slow down. I immediately heard my passenger rear tire blow out.

I pulled over and then assessed the damage. I found a giant gash in the sidewall of the tire, but luckily no damage to the wheel. I was only 4 blocks from a Big O, so I reluctantly pulled out the SVT compressor/fix a flat from the trunk and filled her up with the gooey stuff. It wouldn't hold pressure obviously, since the sidewall was the source of the leak, but it was enough to avoid damage to the rim as I drove it to the tire shop. Amazingly, they were able to track down a matching Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 255/45ZR18 in town and I only waited for about 1/2 hour for the whole thing. It did, however, cost me about $300.

Anyway, when not on the track, I need a flippin spare like every other car on the planet has! What's the solution? :headscratch:

Ken

IMG00027-20090804-1056.jpg

And Ken... They say the "safest" place is on the track! At least everyone there is thinking the same thing and NOT on the cell phone, putting on makeup or yelling at the kids! I'm glad to see there was no real damage, although, i'm AMAZED the woman, the SUV and anyone else within 100 yds survived.... I would have gone balistic! :) But hey, that's just me!

If you want a spare the easiest place to get one is from a junk yard from a GT or a V6. The trick is getting it on, ground clearances, and brake clearances (if you have have brake upgrades). I got one for my SGT, but I have yet to try and put it on to make sure it works :doh:

If you want a spare the easiest place to get one is from a junk yard from a GT or a V6. The trick is getting it on, ground clearances, and brake clearances (if you have have brake upgrades). I got one for my SGT, but I have yet to try and put it on to make sure it works :doh:

Sell him the spare out of the Terlingua. It doesn't need it any more, wont fit with those 6 piston brakes.

Chris

HEY GUYS,

I BELIEVE THE SPARE TIRE THAT COMES WITH THE 05-09 MUSTANG GT WILL

WORK WITHT THE SHELBY GT AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT HAVE A BRAKE UPGRADE.

THE BRAKES ON THE SHELBY GT ARE THE SAME AS THE STOCK

MUSTANG GT BRAKES .

SCOTTY

HEY GUYS,

I BELIEVE THE SPARE TIRE THAT COMES WITH THE 05-09 MUSTANG GT WILL

WORK WITHT THE SHELBY GT AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT HAVE A BRAKE UPGRADE.

THE BRAKES ON THE SHELBY GT ARE THE SAME AS THE STOCK

MUSTANG GT BRAKES .

SCOTTY

Good call. Thanks for the input guys.

I'll try to track down a spare from an MGT for sure. The brakes I plan on upgrading to are the Griggs 4-on-4, which don't have humongous rotors anyway.

So that spare might clear those brakes with the same 1/2" spacers I'll be running for the 18" bullitts to clear. I'll keep you posted.

Ken

The MGT spare (or donut) is a 17" wheel with the tiny temporary tire, whereas any SGT is an 18" or larger diameter wheel. Because of this, I understand (based on previous threads on this subject) that one should never use the donut on the rear axle because it can really screw things up w/ the limited slip. As for being used on the front of the car, the difference in wheel sizes alone would make the use of the donut very challenging of steering and handling.

The best bet appears to be, as mentioned above, getting another wheel/tire that is the same size as the others on your car, along with a lug wrench, jack, etc., and putting them into your trunk. This is what I will do for any extended trips. A few months ago I bought a new MGT jack and lug wrench online from www.silverstatefordparts.com .

The MGT spare (or donut) is a 17" wheel with the tiny temporary tire, whereas any SGT is an 18" or larger diameter wheel. Because of this, I understand (based on previous threads on this subject) that one should never use the donut on the rear axle because it can really screw things up w/ the limited slip. As for being used on the front of the car, the difference in wheel sizes alone would make the use of the donut very challenging of steering and handling.

The best bet appears to be, as mentioned above, getting another wheel/tire that is the same size as the others on your car, along with a lug wrench, jack, etc., and putting them into your trunk. This is what I will do for any extended trips. A few months ago I bought a new MGT jack and lug wrench online from www.silverstatefordparts.com .

Does the MGT jack fit under the SGT since its lower than a stock GT? Or do you need to drive the car up on a 2x8 to get enough clearance for the jack?

-yellow pony

Archived