TEAM SHELBY FORUM

nitrous oxide

Dude, don't do it..

NOS is for people who have no clue how to make real power! That is why the "Boy Racers" like it..

Nothing can beat real horsepower, Real hardcore auto affectionados will frown when they see NOS, but will smile wildly when they hear a good high lift long duration cam!

If you want real power that lasts, build your motor, get a Supercharger,,see your car 50000 miles from now.. Otherwise get your NOS and get a new motor in 20000..

GNB

Dude, don't do it..

NOS is for people who have no clue how to make real power! That is why the "Boy Racers" like it..

Nothing can beat real horsepower, Real hardcore auto affectionados will frown when they see NOS, but will smile wildly when they hear a good high lift long duration cam!

If you want real power that lasts, build your motor, get a Supercharger,,see your car 50000 miles from now.. Otherwise get your NOS and get a new motor in 20000..

GNB

I do agree with u that it can b a nightmare and the engine life is cut in half.. My only prob is the cash flow and am wanting the HP... If I get it Im no speed demon by no means and have never ran my SGT hard... I just want to know I have the HP if I want to go and fart around at the track........Thanks for the reply and will take every response into consideration....

Another option for you,

Get a new set of cams, there is a nice high lift cam from ford racing, Ford Racing P/N: M-6550-3V

this is a nice cam set, requires no alteration to your existing heads motor springs etc.. the coolest thing is this:

1, adds 30hp, not a great deal but you said you really do not hot rod the car

2. Sounds friggin wicked!! Did I say wicked, I mean friggin wicked!!!!!

3. install with a minimal set of tools, if you are a gearhead, otherwise it is a day in a garage.

It probably is the best gain in HP you can get for under a grand and safest for your engine..

NOS is cheap but then most people do not stop at the small shots, and over "Gas" thier cars which is was I was eluding to in the previous post

If you like to show your car, these cams will turn heads!

Also a set of headers is a good install...

Some ear candy for you

GNB

I've done both, it depends on which camp your at right now, I've used NOS with no problems, I always used a wet kit that operated on WOT only, less likely to blow her up. I've had engines built up, that takes time and money. look at where your at and decide what's best for you at this time. Good luck.

I like the idea of being able to use these kits as either water-methanol injection systems or nitro-methane boosters!

Way cool. I need to focus my research efforts on these for awhile I think. For the small amount of $ and the advertised benefits, it seems like a hell of a cool idea.

Ken

You can run a 100-125 shot of Nitrous for a long time on the stock block, just make sure your tune is good and put all the safety neccesities, things like a the TPS switch, window switch ect.

I love Blowers but what I like about Nitrous is that if you are heavy footed while driving around town or feel the need to race every nice car that comes around, with Nitrous you usally will not have the bottles on or heated or whatever, so in many peoples cases this lessens the chance of you racing on the street and getting in trouble! :finger:

At the track you will be just as competitive as any guy with a blower. On a 100 shot if you have tires and can drive a bit you should have no problem being in the 11's. :drool:

Jim

Well after doing some serious thinking about it, I said the hell with it and am getting it done... I am getting the work done at gearheads in arlington texas which is a awesome mod motor mod shop... I am getting a 150 shot done to and the jets to back her back down to a 100 shot.. they told me that the gt motors can go up to a 150 shop and b allright if you dont hit the juice all the time and im no speed demon by no means just want it when i go to the track every now and them.. Also getting all the saftey stuff like the wot and all the nos shut off switches... also getting a sct tuner to help b on the safe side... If I do blow the motor I guess i can max my credit card and upgrade to a gt500 motor lol lol... :shift::shift:

Well after doing some serious thinking about it, I said the hell with it and am getting it done... I am getting the work done at gearheads in arlington texas which is a awesome mod motor mod shop... I am getting a 150 shot done to and the jets to back her back down to a 100 shot.. they told me that the gt motors can go up to a 150 shop and b allright if you dont hit the juice all the time and im no speed demon by no means just want it when i go to the track every now and them.. Also getting all the saftey stuff like the wot and all the nos shut off switches... also getting a sct tuner to help b on the safe side... If I do blow the motor I guess i can max my credit card and upgrade to a gt500 motor lol lol... :shift::shift:

You wont last long a 150, plus you will need to upgrade at least the fuel pump / injectors. Stay with the 100 or 125 and it will put you over 400 hp and high 400's of torque!!!! Your fuel system can hold the 100-125 no problem. It will also cope with a 150 but just not for long. :(

The SCT tuner is a good investment that way they can put your NA tune in and your Nitrous tune. Of course you can use it if you put a blower on as well. SCT, IMO is the best tuning software out there. I have been using it since 2004 in conjuction with a dyno tune.

Congrats!

Jim

I like the idea of being able to use these kits as either water-methanol injection systems or nitro-methane boosters!

Way cool. I need to focus my research efforts on these for awhile I think. For the small amount of $ and the advertised benefits, it seems like a hell of a cool idea.

Ken

im not exactly sure how THEIR Nitro Meth Booster works, but I have to assume its a very small amount of Nitro Methane.

I've worked on one car that ran nitro meth injection, a 1987 Buick Grand National GNX. Though it was a lot of maintenance to keep that motor running, the car was worth it. It was like the little engine that could. It was incredibly fun, and it's turbo 6 + nitro meth would dust almost anything off the road when we ran it a few years ago. However, it corrodes everything and i was told spits out nice toxic fumes for you to idle in.

If i recall correctly, you can run it super rich. It doesn't need nearly as much oxygen to burn as gasoline, burns quicker and you wont get burning fuel exiting the cylinder even with the rich air/fuel mixtures because of its explosive properties.

long story short...nitro meth is a wicked racer chemical...its nasty car steroids that i might run if I had a top fuel car funny car or something old to mess with...but it's never going near my SGT.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got the kit put on yesterday at gearheads in arlington which I might add is a top notch shop... On a 100 shot with the sct tuner and the dyno tune she put down 386 on the juice without the juice It put down 283 to the back wheels... I am pretty happy with the results that i got... I have not yet got to hit the juice on her myself have to get a good set of tires and go to the track to see what it will do in the 1/4 mile...

Well i got the kit put on yesterday at gearheads in arlington which I might add is a top notch shop... On a 100 shot with the sct tuner and the dyno tune she put down 386 on the juice without the juice It put down 283 to the back wheels... I am pretty happy with the results that i got... I have not yet got to hit the juice on her myself have to get a good set of tires and go to the track to see what it will do in the 1/4 mile...

Nice!!! Pics?

what kind of yno were those numbers from?

"However, it corrodes everything and i was told spits out nice toxic fumes for you to idle in."

I have never heard this but it has to do something to the engine otherwise people would install these in a lot of cars rather than just a few who want higher HP without the usuall SC or other mods to increase it.

Are there any documents or web sites that you know of that says these Nitrous kits are bad for our cars or engines in particular?

Toxic Fumes and Corrosion is not what I would want in my Shelby GT even when I am whining about the low stock HP they have!

"However, it corrodes everything and i was told spits out nice toxic fumes for you to idle in."

I have never heard this but it has to do something to the engine otherwise people would install these in a lot of cars rather than just a few who want higher HP without the usuall SC or other mods to increase it.

Are there any documents or web sites that you know of that says these Nitrous kits are bad for our cars or engines in particular?

Toxic Fumes and Corrosion is not what I would want in my Shelby GT even when I am whining about the low stock HP they have!

The shop that I had the work done said its the best mod you can do for the money on any gt and as long as you used it as intended the car-motor would be fine....... Also for the fumes corrosion I have never heard that from any car spraying nos... I know alot of guys say no to the juice but I am confident in it and dont rag my car to begin with and will only use it at the track...

Nice!!! Pics?

I will take picts tomm and post them up..u will be very surprised when u see under the hood... The guys at gearheads hid everything under the hood very well that it alll blends in... The average joe would not even no that I had nos unless u new what to look for... The trunk is a diff story aint much to do with a 10 pound bottle lol........ :shift:

Guest hfrosso
is there anyone else here that has nos on there SGT or am I the only one brave enough to do the mod lol... post up if u gotty..

now you got me quite interest in this mod.

if you don't mind me asking how much did the kit cost you plus install??

i would like to have an idea .

and yeah pic's!!!!

thank's!

now you got me quite interest in this mod.

if you don't mind me asking how much did the kit cost you plus install??

i would like to have an idea .

and yeah pic's!!!!

thank's!

the basic kit a 50-150 shot was about 400.00 But i also bought a sct handheld tuner about 350.00 the nitrous purge kit 150.00 and the dyno tune was 150.00.. so basicly it was about 1200.00 give or take... I did get the car out on a back roadin no mans land and hit the nos from 1st threw 3rd and holy smokes, its basically a diff car when the nos is activated.... I will deff post some picts of the kit tomm you will be really surprised how hidden everything is under the hood, just the way I wanted it.. also the activation switch and purge switch in the car is hidden where you cant see it... I also want to add dont be scared to do this there are alot of guys that dont understand that as long as u use the nos as intended you wont thrash your car but if you get out there and keep your foot on the throttle and and spray for just for example 1st threw 5th and peg your car out racing down the highway look foaward in your motors life to get really cut in half...

I also want to add dont be scared to do this there are alot of guys that dont understand that as long as u use the nos as intended you wont thrash your car but if you get out there and keep your foot on the throttle and and spray for just for example 1st threw 5th and peg your car out racing down the highway look foaward in your motors life to get really cut in half...

Maybe you should not be scared but you should be REALLY careful. I agree that it can be a great mod to almost any car as long as it's used correctly.

Note that many (maybe most) Nitrous explosions in EFI motors are due to vapor pooling in the intake manifold at low RPM's (below 2500). An RPM activated system can help avoid spraying at low RPM's or after hitting the Rev Limiter.

You should always have a fire extinguser nearby because if you blow up the intake manifold you can replace it for $89 but you are also likely to rupture the fuel lines under pressure and that is not good.

Maybe you should not be scared but you should be REALLY careful. I agree that it can be a great mod to almost any car as long as it's used correctly.

Note that many (maybe most) Nitrous explosions in EFI motors are due to vapor pooling in the intake manifold at low RPM's (below 2500). An RPM activated system can help avoid spraying at low RPM's or after hitting the Rev Limiter.

You should always have a fire extinguser nearby because if you blow up the intake manifold you can replace it for $89 but you are also likely to rupture the fuel lines under pressure and that is not good.

Wow those were some crazy vids for sure and I do carry a fire ext. in my car... Also I do recommend anyone to get the wot switch and I also have it on my car that the nos only sprays at wide open throttle soons as im out of the throttle its no longer spraying.. To me this is basically like any other high HP mod they all come with its risk... each to there own though at the time it was the best mod for my budget and I got the HP numbers i wanted... :shift:

Archived