TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Changed out my Pedals and my Tune seems off.........

Good Afternoon all,

I recently changed out my Pedals for the Shelby ones, I took off the Accelerator pedal to do so. Is it possible this could throw something off??? For some reason the car seems different after. Could just be me getting used to the power, but I am not sure. By the way I have the 550HP Whipple with the Tune that came with it.

Thank All

Bill

How long have you had it before you switched out the pedals?

The best explanation I can give you is that the pedal design is a different from the stock pedal. You will just have to get us to that one now, so no biggie.

Good Afternoon all,

I recently changed out my Pedals for the Shelby ones, I took off the Accelerator pedal to do so. Is it possible this could throw something off??? For some reason the car seems different after. Could just be me getting used to the power, but I am not sure. By the way I have the 550HP Whipple with the Tune that came with it.

Thank All

Bill

Is the SPP pedal weighted differently perhaps? These won't affect the tune at all. However, the throttle pedal is really just an actuator connected to a wiring harness that drives the throttle body - "Drive By Wire". I suppose there's a possibility that something came loose in the harness? But the odds of the gas working at all are pretty slim, if that was the case. I'd say the post above is probably right. If the weight or physical size of the pedal pads is significantly different, it'll probably just take a little time to get used to them.

Ken

I'll just weigh in with another possibility: the fly-by-wire pedal has some tiny fingers that scrape across a stationary set of contacts. There was a thriving movement that said you could improve throttle response by optimizing the contact patch. That took some fine work with pliers or something, and seemed to me to be 1) unlikely to have much actual effect and 2) potentially an avenue for screwed-upness to enter the chain.

I never tried it, needless to say, but if you exposed those little fingers to the outside world, the potential for misadjustment was there.

The other option, then as now, is to reset the pedal as recommended elsewhere on the forums:

1) Turn on the ignition and wait for all the lights to come on and go off and settle down - half a minute, maybe

2) Sloooowwwly depress the gas pedal to its full stroke, hold it for ten seconds

3) Sloooowwwly release the pedal

4) Turn off the ignition, wait ten seconds

5) Start the engine and note the improved response

I did this several times, and could not sense any improvement, but it could just be my lack of sensitivity. I did get a good giggle, thinking of the hundreds of Mustangers across the country, all eager for every possible increment in performance, presssing, hoollding, releaassing ...

Archived