TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Salesman BS

mrdci

Stopped by Jerry's Ford in Lessburg VA today as I saw they had a Black Vert in the show room. Well I park the truck walk in the door and notice the cars a bottom stripe delete vert with the red inserts. Very nice car. So the salesman comes over and says ready to take the Shelby home today. I had already laughed when I saw the Assesed Market Value tag in on the window of +25K. I said not unless your doing a 40% discount for the holidays and said I'll just wait til next year. He said they're only making 3000 and not making them next year. I said sure you go on telling yourself that and the people who want these cars know more about them than you. He went back to his little desk and left me be the rest of the time.

Do you guys think salesman believe this crap or is it like a scare tactic to try and get someon uneducated to buy one.

Stopped by Jerry's Ford in Lessburg VA today as I saw they had a Black Vert in the show room. Well I park the truck walk in the door and notice the cars a bottom stripe delete vert with the red inserts. Very nice car. So the salesman comes over and says ready to take the Shelby home today. I had already laughed when I saw the Assesed Market Value tag in on the window of +25K. I said not unless your doing a 40% discount for the holidays and said I'll just wait til next year. He said they're only making 3000 and not making them next year. I said sure you go on telling yourself that and the people who want these cars know more about them than you. He went back to his little desk and left me be the rest of the time.

Do you guys think salesman believe this crap or is it like a scare tactic to try and get someon uneducated to buy one.

Probably a little bit of both.

All the sales and management people I have spoke to over the months know very little about these cars. We on this site probably know about 70% more about these cars than the GM's at most stores. I have had to bring info from the web to surrort arguments to some of the more hard headed ones. All that stinks in their mind is 500HP and limited edition, beyond that they are making up a story.

D I T T O !!! Don't get me wrong Im sure there are some good ones out there, but I have not met ANY salesmen who know ANYTHING about these or most of their cars! All they seem to know is how to :censored: the customer!!! So sad, but soooooo true.

I called Walker Ford in Clearwater Fl. yesterday and there salesman had the same B.S. for me about 'might not be any made next year'. while I believe this is salesman junk talk, i'm wondering if something could be up with Ford reducing it's work force by almost 50% next year and getting so much smaller. will there ability to produce performance vehicles be limited by the 'CAFE' standards rules they need to meet. I remember there was something posted a while back about only being able to build so many performance vehicles as a percentage of the total vehicles sold. Again with their getting so much smaller to fit there place in the auto market, could that some how limit the performance based cars they can build?

I called Walker Ford in Clearwater Fl. yesterday and there salesman had the same B.S. for me about 'might not be any made next year'. while I believe this is salesman junk talk, i'm wondering if something could be up with Ford reducing it's work force by almost 50% next year and getting so much smaller. will there ability to produce performance vehicles be limited by the 'CAFE' standards rules they need to meet. I remember there was something posted a while back about only being able to build so many performance vehicles as a percentage of the total vehicles sold. Again with their getting so much smaller to fit there place in the auto market, could that some how limit the performance based cars they can build?

Sales people are no different than any other line of work. You have your long term dedicated sales staff who know what they are talking about and you have your bottom feeders ... who are new .. or inexpierenced or just dont give a rats ass. I have seen them all at our ford store.

I think product knowledge is good at our store with some of the sales staff but you need to understand since this is a limited production run some wont take the time to really get to know the car.

Regarding production, everything I hear from this list ... our zone rep ... SVT .... is this car is a 2 year run. End of story.

dond

Sales people are no different than any other line of work. You have your long term dedicated sales staff who know what they are talking about and you have your bottom feeders ... who are new .. or inexpierenced or just dont give a rats ass. I have seen them all at our ford store.

I think product knowledge is good at our store with some of the sales staff but you need to understand since this is a limited production run some wont take the time to really get to know the car.

Regarding production, everything I hear from this list ... our zone rep ... SVT .... is this car is a 2 year run. End of story.

dond

i have heard the same as you. Good luck with your new toy, I'm jealous. i wish my local dealer would have honored the contract and deposit $4000.00 deposit he took from me. who knows how long it will take for me get one now.

i have heard the same as you. Good luck with your new toy, I'm jealous. i wish my local dealer would have honored the contract and deposit $4000.00 deposit he took from me. who knows how long it will take for me get one now.

I really do feel for you ... most dealers regardless of what the car is bringing over MSRP ... be it verbal or in writing should honor an agreement to sell the car to you even if it was made a year ago.

I myself am very fortunite to get this car. The dealer allowed me to get the our second car with a marginal mark up over MSRP. Further more, our zone rep confided in me that she used a special allocation to get my car built sooner than alot of the other shelbys that were ordered. Each zone has 1 - 3 special allocations for the Shelby that they use at their discretion to get the car built faster. My shelby was ordered august 14 2006 and i got a full vin in mid october.( 2 mths ). I've read the horror stories on this list and am eternally grateful to have had my car pulled early do to connections.

Other wise I have no doubt my 07 shelby would have been a 08 being delievered in Feb or March !

dond

I really do feel for you ... most dealers regardless of what the car is bringing over MSRP ... be it verbal or in writing should honor an agreement to sell the car to you even if it was made a year ago.

I myself am very fortunite to get this car. The dealer allowed me to get the our second car with a marginal mark up over MSRP. Further more, our zone rep confided in me that she used a special allocation to get my car built sooner than alot of the other shelbys that were ordered. Each zone has 1 - 3 special allocations for the Shelby that they use at their discretion to get the car built faster. My shelby was ordered august 14 2006 and i got a full vin in mid october.( 2 mths ). I've read the horror stories on this list and am eternally grateful to have had my car pulled early do to connections.

Other wise I have no doubt my 07 shelby would have been a 08 being delievered in Feb or March !

dond

if you can order any more for that deal let me know, 08 model is okay.

dond

08 will not be ready to ship by Feb, March of 07. They will start 08 production early summer of 07

Correct. 2008 MY starts June 1. Ford will still be delivering 2007s in Feb/March 2007 and later....like mine. :banghead:

Thought that when the plant closed for the christmas break they would be tooling 08 models. Since I am not in the current thread of ordering a 08 ... I stand corrected.

Just like banghead said, all the people with 07 orders will continue to be built and delivered in early to mid 07 than the 08 production will start.

dond

I've had the same experience and posted it here a while back - just about the same numbers too but it was an internet marketing person that was eith uninformed or trying a shady sales tactic. In any case I've found that some reps and dealers are very well informed and honest and others not so much....some times it is a both depending on the rep but more often than not I think it is the dealership as a whole and reflects on their level of professionalism. I have talked to a number of dealers trying to get a deal set up for MSRP and while this may open a can of works i still think it will happen for people eventually - I just don't want to wait that long so I am now looking in the 5-10K over range but only for what I want. I had to walk from an 11K over deal yesterday because I am still having a hard time swalling 10K and the car will just sit in my garage. The fact is that car sales is like any other profession. Some good and some not. Some honest and some not. All out to make money not there for the love of the game so to speak.

dond

Correct. 2 years only.

Correct. 2 years only.

I hear 2 years only. Then some say a 3rd year is possible. And then others say that Ford will make these till everyone that wants one, gets one.

How can you firmly say 2 years only.

I hear 2 years only. Then some say a 3rd year is possible. And then others say that Ford will make these till everyone that wants one, gets one.

I am guess probably due to the redesign of the base Mustang in 2009.

Do we know how many made so far? Last I heard we were around 3400? Is that close? How do we find out? Is the world really round? Do I ask too many questions?

Please use the search button before you waste our time. :hysterical:

The way I was able to get mine for 3k over was because the lack of knowlege of the car by the GM of Sales. During our conversation I ask him what was the MSRP was and he told me that it was 40K at that point I knew I had him because I knew the msrp for a loaded coupe was just over 45K so I just played dumb. He had already told me that they would not sell it below a 10k adm. He also told me all of the BS that you guys are posting. I just played dumb to all of this and then I made him a offer of 53k drive out and told him that I would put 10 k down right then and he took it.

In his mind it was 40k for the car plus the 10k for the adm and then 3k would pay all of tax the gas guzzler and tag and title. they went ahead and cashed my deposite and I knew then that I had won the battle.

So Thanks to all of my researh and This wonderful website I saved myself a total of $7000.00.

I know I still paid 3k over but I have my Shelby and It is worth every penny that I have paid for it. It is a wonderful car and I hope I get burried in it. Thank you SVT, Ford and Mr Shelby I love you all !!!!!!!!!

My opinion......

There is a 2 year agreement with a single additional year option with Shelby. That's '07 and '08. The original plan was for a redesign in 2009. That may or may not happen based on the company's most recent performance.

They have a ton of employees to pay out when/if they take early retirement.

They're downsizing operations globally, regardless of the rank and file's desire to leave early. It's sort of like joining the Air Force before you got drafted into the Army infantry (no offense to any Army vets...but this happened a lot "back in the day", believe me). You're gonna get it one way or another.

At the current rate...not to mention what will happen with production cuts...the company would have to sell a lot of high mpg vehicles (which they aren't) to make up for the gas guzzling GT500. CAFE.

bj

My opinion......

There is a 2 year agreement with a single additional year option with Shelby. That's '07 and '08. The original plan was for a redesign in 2009. That may or may not happen based on the company's most recent performance.

They have a ton of employees to pay out when/if they take early retirement.

They're downsizing operations globally, regardless of the rank and file's desire to leave early. It's sort of like joining the Air Force before you got drafted into the Army infantry (no offense to any Army vets...but this happened a lot "back in the day", believe me). You're gonna get it one way or another.

At the current rate...not to mention what will happen with production cuts...the company would have to sell a lot of high mpg vehicles (which they aren't) to make up for the gas guzzling GT500. CAFE.

bj

I agree with you on the 2yrs + 1 option but I also think if the demand is still there Ford will have no choice but to build more. I can not imagine an agreement with Shelby is too hard to get to make another year or two....I have no facts to base anything on but can not see a company that clearly needs money stopping the production of a hot item that they are selling as fast as they can build in most cases. At the very least i would hope they have enough business sense to open the flood gates for orders and build what there is before stopping production and moving on - even if it took them 2 more yrs to build that.

In anycase worst they would do is remove the "Shelby" and call it a Cobra. I want mine now and have made good offers at 5-10K over but been out bid in one case and denied in another. I believe the ADM is falling but very slowly and while I have said all along that MSRP will happen I am begining to think that it might not based on what I've seen in person so far. I know I will hold out for 10K over max and find it hard to believe i won't be able to get one for that at some point. At this time of year I'd rather have my $ anyway.

No matter what it's a great car and they have not gotten to the half way point yet so no worries - despite the attempts to sell me the limited 1st production run models :)

All the sales and management people I have spoke to over the months know very little about these cars. We on this site probably know about 70% more about these cars than the GM's at most stores. I have had to bring info from the web to surrort arguments to some of the more hard headed ones. All that stinks in their mind is 500HP and limited edition, beyond that they are making up a story.

+1 And thanks again too Robert Lane and 5ohB for leading the factual information charge. Without the two of you, we'd still be speculating on rumors right now from said sales people.

I agree with you on the 2yrs + 1 option but I also think if the demand is still there Ford will have no choice but to build more. I can not imagine an agreement with Shelby is too hard to get to make another year or two....I have no facts to base anything on but can not see a company that clearly needs money stopping the production of a hot item that they are selling as fast as they can build in most cases. At the very least i would hope they have enough business sense to open the flood gates for orders and build what there is before stopping production and moving on - even if it took them 2 more yrs to build that.

In anycase worst they would do is remove the "Shelby" and call it a Cobra. I want mine now and have made good offers at 5-10K over but been out bid in one case and denied in another. I believe the ADM is falling but very slowly and while I have said all along that MSRP will happen I am begining to think that it might not based on what I've seen in person so far. I know I will hold out for 10K over max and find it hard to believe i won't be able to get one for that at some point. At this time of year I'd rather have my $ anyway.

No matter what it's a great car and they have not gotten to the half way point yet so no worries - despite the attempts to sell me the limited 1st production run models :)

I agree with nearly all of this post. The key is that they are just now reaching the first 6 months of production. They have only been shipping for about 4.5 months. We still have a lot car deliveries to do yet.

You are not taking into account the CAFE statement that BJ posted on the gas guzzling MPG issue. The laws and rules may prevent a 3rd year. Do you copy. Grabber over and out.

Recent Road and Track article says 3 years. I don't know what to think at this point, but it really doesn't matter much to me since I hope to have an '07 in a couple weeks.

Dave

Recent Road and Track article says 3 years. I don't know what to think at this point, but it really doesn't matter much to me since I hope to have an '07 in a couple weeks.

Dave

Such a grinch you are.

I miss Carnut. :cry:

You are not taking into account the CAFE statement that BJ posted on the gas guzzling MPG issue. The laws and rules may prevent a 3rd year. Do you copy. Grabber over and out.

True I was not considering that...although I do remember it a little I can't recall the details, but Hummer makes the same thing each year and has no issue. Is it a HP thing or a gas milage thing and if it is a model yr thing and they just took a crap ton of orders and made them through 2012 for instance still as a 2008 Shelby would that be a loop hole? I am not familiar enough to know.

I only think that Ford can not and will not stop making these cars as long as the demand to buy them remains. That being said I fully expect now to pay a 5-10K adm to get one not later than fall 2007. I could care less about model year but am interested in seeing what if any changes come about for 2008. If there are some changes and they are considered a big deal (functional scoopes, 4.10 or 3.73 gear options, alum. block, or painted stripes for instance) then the ADM on remaining 2007 likely would be gone in a hurry but the 2008 model would have a lot more.

My realistic expectation would be they change little to nothing as why mess with it if it ain't broken applies here from a cost standpoint. I have to believe they would pump out as many as possible the way they are selling when dealers don't try to bend over the client's too much. Pretty much anything with an 11K or less adm is gone in a few days to a week.

Bottom line no one really knows - half hope they limit production and half hope they pound out as manay as there are people over 16 yrs of age. It seems to be that most of us with out the car want more and those with it tend to want there to be a limited run for easy to figure reasons.....not always the case but more often than not true I think. Personally I fall into the I don't care how many they make as long as I get one group. I know it's selfish but I do hope everyone here gets one too....just don't leave me out :)

I was told by an SVT person, Shelby is signed for 2 model years, with possible option for a 3rd year.

Archived