TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

39, any idea what intake and heads are being considered. I would think the FordGT heads would work well but the '01 Cobra intake would need to be port-matched. If not the FordGT heads, I would think we'll only see 350HP or so, which doesn't make much sense to me. Any insight?

What about fr's Z aluminum high flowing comp head? Suppose to have better flow than the GT40 head. It has all the goodies too. big intakes, exhaust, roller rockers, the whole kit and kaboodle. They make it for the 302 up to and including the 351 I think.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in!!! :beerchug:

Talk about "Bold Moves", I can see the headline now "Ford exec Fields has beers with group of enthusiasts and develops new Mustang models on a cocktail napkin while Coletti throws darts!" Hmm, I wonder if Brad Pitt would be available to play me in the commercial :hysterical:

It is really is too bad Ford wouldn't consider such an idea, consider the kind of perspective a small group of well informed enthusiasts could bring to the process. Essentially what Ford would have is a group of consultants without the high price or the BS. I'd sign a non-disclosure and non-compete agreements just to have the opportunity to have input into such an undertaking....Ok, I just woke up from my dream :doh:

Ditto, Fanatic... especially since a big chunk of the audience for these specialty rides is the (ahem) 40+ crowd, who tends to know exactly what they want.

Let's included Dan davis so we get the engine the way we want it too (he's in charge of all performance V-engine development)

Dear William Clay... :sos:

Ditto, Fanatic... especially since a big chunk of the audience for these specialty rides is the (ahem) 40+ crowd, who tends to know exactly what they want.

Let's included Dan davis so we get the engine the way we want it too (he's in charge of all performance V-engine development)

Dear William Clay... :sos:

Given Ford's dire financial predicament, they might just be willing to listen to such a concept, who knows. I just know they had better not deliver the Boss as a stripe and tape model but a true high performance pony car.

I spoke with someone at SVT and this is what I was told: 1. They signed off on the GT500 program a while ago (we all knew that). 2. They are working on 3.5L V6 twin turbo Ford Five Hundreds for the upcoming Lincoln MKS. 3. They are also working on a turbo charged Fusion.

I have asked different people about a non-modular Mustang V8 powerplant and was told that it is a no-go for now. Of course, this COULD CHANGE on Friday :) <OR> maybe someone has better sources than me!

I spoke with someone at SVT and this is what I was told: 1. They signed off on the GT500 program a while ago (we all knew that). 2. They are working on 3.5L V6 twin turbo Ford Five Hundreds for the upcoming Lincoln MKS. 3. They are also working on a turbo charged Fusion.

I have asked different people about a non-modular Mustang V8 powerplant and was told that it is a no-go for now. Of course, this COULD CHANGE on Friday :) <OR> maybe someone has better sources than me!

Robert, I take that statement to mean that we will only see a Mod V8 in the current car but there MIGHT be a possibility for the new V8 family to appear in MY '10 as part of the restyle. That is certainly a realistic assumption and an idea that has been hypothesized in various threads on the subject, thoughts?

Thanks for the info! :party: MMMM turbo's, or is that whooosh? :hysterical: Looking forward to the next stuff. And BTW, Thanks Robert for giving us a home and congrats on the rise in rank in the online world. I really appreciate all you have done for us and the site!!!

39, any idea what intake and heads are being considered. I would think the FordGT heads would work well but the '01 Cobra intake would need to be port-matched. If not the FordGT heads, I would think we'll only see 350HP or so, which doesn't make much sense to me. Any insight?

That kind of info. was not given. Some 'things' are being fixed or corrected depends on which way you look at it and is why they haven't 'offically' said whether its a 2008 or 2009 model. HP rating is still up in the air as we know the 5.0 Cammer is really around 420hp, but someone else doesn't want the Boss's hp anywhere near the Shelby GT500. Just think of 1969 and the rest you can figure out.... And NO, I cannot say where I got this info....

Robert, I take that statement to mean that we will only see a Mod V8 in the current car but there MIGHT be a possibility for the new V8 family to appear in MY '10 as part of the restyle. That is certainly a realistic assumption and an idea that has been hypothesized in various threads on the subject, thoughts?

I am skeptical about anything else but a mod engine in the Mustang for a long time. Ford is skiddish about this whole new Hurricane engine program to begin with, especially with the sudden drop in truck sales. I would not be too surprised to see the program put on ice again.

I think we've seen the plateau of the Mustang's H.P. with the GT500.

It's been fun to see the site grow - and we've only had one paid advertisment the whole time :)

I am skeptical about anything else but a mod engine in the Mustang for a long time. Ford is skiddish about this whole new Hurricane engine program to begin with, especially with the sudden drop in truck sales. I would not be too surprised to see the program put on ice again.

It's been fun to see the site grow - and we've only had one paid advertisment the whole time :)

Robert, thanks so much for the info (and the great site here!).

It sure would be good to know how large the Cleveland plant order was in March for the revised-385/Hurricane. Even just approx scale numbers would tell us whether it's engineering models or actual testing or actually for the '08 super-duty. Maybe Ford is just playing coy, because not spending money to make money (if a bigger engine is actually impacting truck sales as stated by analysts) says they're not getting it yet. I hope that's not the case.

Also, unless the market for HP toys collapses, Ford has to have a bigger V8 in the refreshed MY '10 mustang and even that's about a year too late. I hope they haven't forgotten that it's the tiny enthusiast segment that sells a lot of their cars and trucks.

Sorry, don't mean to be preaching to the choir ;)

Thanks again for all...

-Dan

<edit:>

PS - I'm wonderig if that twin-turbo is not actually a dual-turbo (using the trick Aussie design). hmmm.

I really think the GT500s performance will be the benchmark for future Mustangs for years to come.

I don't know much about the 3.5L V6 twin turbo project other than it's in a Ford Five Hundred.

A big thank you and congratulations Robert!! It's a great site that only continues to get better. I'll agree that the GT500 will set the benchmark for HP for several years to come, however, depending upon how an individual defines performance will determine their personal benchmark. For me, ultimate HP takes a back seat to a balanced performer with a broad powerband with excellent handling and braking.

I wouldn't think the Hurricane (or Boss) would exceed the HP of the GT500 but might come close to matching it (say 475) for the GT500 replacement in MY '10. IMHO Ford needs the Hurricane program to compete in the marketplace but that's just my own personal bias.

I wouldn't think the Hurricane (or Boss) would exceed the HP of the GT500 but might come close to matching it (say 475) for the GT500 replacement in MY '10. IMHO Ford needs the Hurricane program to compete in the marketplace but that's just my own personal bias.

+1 Ford needs it badly in MY'10 at the latest (and needs it yesterday in the F-series).

It's ironic to me that DCX has a big hulking 'hemi' (effectively in name only) that has a huge following (most not knowing what a 'hemi' astually is, I think) and because of it's realtively large displacement, it makes good power and torque and has good emissions due to relatively low Power/CID ratio. That's reason #1 why Ford needs a big block.

The GT500 motor, while a marvellous and sophisticated engine, will never, IMHO, be the basis of the aftermarket hot-rod crowd, except in a few stock-body based drag classes. Just not enough cubes for that block to be used in the top classes. If Ford had an NA big-block stang in the mid-400HP range, it would be the basis for the REAL HP wars that get waged on the street (like it or not, that's where the cred is made). And an alloy big block with the right bottom-end starting point from Ford, would undoubtedly become the new "427" of the 60s. That opens the door to big-block crate motors, an area that GM has seen gold in. That's reason #2 why Ford needs a big block.

If they can get a name like 'the BOSS' to stick to that motor (should be a cinch if it's a great motor), it will drag gobs of performance cred whether in F-series trucks, in NASCAR (or in the unlikely event of re-entering NHRA Pro-Stock -- if it's great motor, private teams will do it for Ford). That's reason #3 why Ford needs a [serious] big block.

My bet is that Ford will do the 'Hurricane' (not a literal 385-series, which is outdated based on what's been learned) as a new taller-deck, wider-bore, modular base (even if there's never a V6 or other derivative based on it), because that's how you keep your options open these days. Ford misjudged the CID game once, I don't think they'll fall for that twice -- and to not do the Hurricane would mean all the F-series erosion due to the Hemi and Ford's stated plans to have the Mustang rule the pony-car class would just be rhetoric. If that's so, it will be a huge [and sad] mistake IMO.

So I see the Boss/hurricane as essential to Ford's image and ability to sell it's recovery to the media and, much more importantly, to the enthusiasts who, admittedly, will range from F-series guys who will say "Yeah, it's a BOSS," to the track-dogs (hey, an alloy 5.8 BOSS in a Boss 351 would be the cat's a$$), to the big-CID drag-boys who have been propping up Fords name with aftermarket product (except in Pro-stock), to the mudder and monster-truck crowd (has an avid 'brand' following) who have been doing likewise on their own. You can only hold such folks out to dry for so long (witness Glidden) before they MUST jump ship.

For the first time in ages, Ford actually has genuine BUSINESS reasons and motivation to undo the damage and vacuuous erosion resulting from their long semi-comatose performance condition (mustang being the flagship and only performance vehicle -- again, the cash-cow approach and legacy of JN!)

I'm still having faith (but hoping that's not what Ford's hoping!). It's time to re-earn the stripes! This opportunity will be gone after MY'10 and catch-up is a bad game to play by design. ;)

Thanks, Fanatic... You are cool, my friend. :rockon:

I see you changed your signature area to: Next Mustang: 2008 - '09 Ford Boss Mustang -- well, allright!!

Did you just do that, or did I just wake-up? <lol>

I noticed over at the Mustang Source you're keeping them 'honest.' :victory: Seems they're pretty sure the MY'09 redesign is still on track. The absence of spoiler part nums is interesting. Got my fingers crossed ;) Certainly MY'09 is the 'right' timing.

--------------------------------

Couple more [crazy] thoughts...

Not that Ford has to be historically true to the heritage models, but the Boss 302 in '69 <edit> did have a killer hi-rise long-runer intake -- analygous to the Cammer 3-pc unit? (funny how things repeat).

The '69 Boss 429 is a classic, but the '70, though having the same nominal HP rating, was the true gem with its solid lifter motor and a much improved low-restriction exhaust. Then the Boss 351 followed in early '71, I beleive. In the context of a big-block mustangs in the future, it will be hard to play the sequence in that order (if Ford does do all three at some point).

I'm just wondering how/what might roll-out when to embrace the classic mustangs. Could be: BOSS302, GT500KR (a 3rd year Shelby variant?), BOSS351, BOSS429? With ShelbyAutos variants along the way. Also, the redesigned Mustang (acommodating the big-block) would start-up at the new mustang plant after mustang leaves AAI, I would think (?)

possible sequence...???

07:

Ford: BaseGT, GT/CS, GT500

SA: GT-H

08:

Ford: BaseGT, Boss302, GT500

SA: ShelbyGT, GT350(s/c'd baseGT?)

09: (new design?)

Ford: BaseGT', Boss351 (Boss302 if redesign in '10)

SA: GT350, GT500KR (if redesign in '10)

10: (new design)

Ford: BaseGT, Boss351, Boss429

SA: Shelby Boss-nnn?

Just grasping at straws ... trying to see what rollout might work with the historical models and the redesign/plant-change (assuming Mazda still wants full AAI capacity)

Anybody have any insights?

Not that Ford has to be historically true to the heritage models, but the Boss 302 in '68 did have a killer hi-rise long-runer intake -- analygous to the Cammer 3-pc unit? (funny how things repeat).

The '69 Boss 429 is a classic, but the '70, though having the same nominal HP rating, was the true gem with its solid lifter motor and a much improved low-restriction exhaust. Then the Boss 351 followed in early '71, I beleive. In the context of a big-block mustangs in the future, it will be hard to play the sequence in that order (if Ford does do all three at some point).

I wasn't aware of a 68 Boss 302....are you sure you didn't mean 69? As far as I know, the Boss 302 and 429 were 69 and 70 model years.

I don't know the particulars of the 429 engines (maybe someone can shed some light for me) but I do blieve that the early 69 429 had an S code and that was more sought after....please correct me if I'm wrong. I cannot remember why though...maybe smog stuff????

I wasn't aware of a 68 Boss 302....are you sure you didn't mean 69? As far as I know, the Boss 302 and 429 were 69 and 70 model years.

I don't know the particulars of the 429 engines (maybe someone can shed some light for me) but I do blieve that the early 69 429 had an S code and that was more sought after....please correct me if I'm wrong. I cannot remember why though...maybe smog stuff????

You are correct, it was a 'finger-check' <lol> Boss 302 and 429 in '69 and '70 (I'll go edit that post -- thanks PFA)

I thought all the '69 Boss 429s were hydraulic lifters and all the '70s were mechanical, but I'll see what I can find.

-Dan

Here's what I've been able to find browsing online and from Brad Bowling's book:

The '69 Boss 429 (Z-code):

Forged-steel crank and rods, semi-hemi alum heads, 735cfm Holley, and 3.91 Traction loc and the early '69s had slick magnesium valve-covers (replaced with aluminum at some point) but they were hydraulic lifters in '69, 375HP rating, 859 made.

In '70 the Boss 429 (Z-code):

Essentially identical to the '69 but got the mechanical lifters, Hurst shifter, better fan/cooling design, bigger rear sway bar, lower restriction exhaust (and the unique gloss black hood scoop) but kept same official 375HP rating, 499 made.

I've heard both Boss 429s were more like 475-485HP [gross] but were rated low so buyers could get insurance. There were also two supercharged (rootes-type) "Super-Boss429 Lawman" 1200HP special-editions done by Ford to entertain the troops in Nam -- one survives ;-)

You are correct, it was a 'finger-check' <lol> Boss 302 and 429 in '69 and '70 (I'll go edit that post -- thanks PFA)

I thought all the '69 Boss 429s were hydraulic lifters and all the '70s were mechanical, but I'll see what I can find.

-Dan

Here's what I've been able to find browsing online and from Brad Bowling's book:

Forged-steel crank and rods, semi-hemi alum heads, 735cfm Holley, and 3.91 Traction loc and the early '69s had slick magnesium valve-covers (replaced with aluminum at some point) but they were hydraulic lifters in '69, 375HP rating, 859 made.

Essentially identical to the '69 but got the mechanical lifters, Hurst shifter, better fan/cooling design, bigger rear sway bar, lower restriction exhaust (and the unique gloss black hood scoop) but kept same official 375HP rating, 499 made.

I've heard both Boss 429s were more like 475-485HP [gross] but were rated low so buyers could get insurance. There were also two supercharged (rootes-type) "Super-Boss429 Lawman" 1200HP special-editions done by Ford to entertain the troops in Nam -- one survives ;-)

Thats cool.

I was referring the S code as a stamp/sticker on the engine, maybe for emissions??? There was an S and a T.

I didn't know what the engine code was-----Z.

I never heard of the Super Boss!! Any pictures or stats on that? That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Thats cool.

I was referring the S code as a stamp/sticker on the engine, maybe for emissions??? There was an S and a T.

I didn't know what the engine code was-----Z.

I never heard of the Super Boss!! Any pictures or stats on that? That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Re: S-code/emissions... dunno -- couldn't find anything in book or online.

Here's a link to the Super Boss 429 that was dropped/crushed Crushed Super Boss 429 There were also 12 Mack1 CJs that Al Ecstrand did [for Ford?]. There are also links on that page to the surviving Super Boss which I believe I saw on TV recently in the possession of wrestler Bill(?) Goldberg.

Here's a pic of one of the Super Bosses being loaded by the Nav for it's trip to Nam:

post-4902-1156705568_thumb.jpg

If you do a search on it you'll come up with a buch of references, but I think most wind up at the same pages you can get to through the link above (and the links in that page(s)).

Looks awesome even today! ;-)

-Dan

post-4902-1156705568_thumb.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...-8%26safe%3Doff

I wonder if Ford will send mustangs cross seas for are boys in irac? That pay tribute and bring Ford some good too.

Yeah, they could use those extra runways at Baghdad International. Probably not nearly safe enough but our roops would sure appreciate it, I think.

God bless them all!

Jesse James went and filmed a Monster Garage over there... They made a wheelie-popping Hummer with a big Chevy crate motor. Unfortunately the GM tranny's torque converter just would not work right, but, man, did that motor-pool group have some fun -- the sarge was a gal... and a gearhead... so cool to see.

-Dan

Actually,some of the later 69's got solid lifter cams ,unfortunatly mine had a juice cam when I got it in 1969.

That has since been corrected!!

post-2941-1156772921_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1156772969_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1156773084_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1156772921_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1156772969_thumb.jpg

post-2941-1156773084_thumb.jpg

Actually,some of the later 69's got solid lifter cams ,unfortunatly mine had a juice cam when I got it in 1969.

That has since been corrected!!

Wow! She is a beauty, '69 Boss429 you've owned since new... so very cool!

I'm not surprised some late '69s got the solids... most of the books I've seen get a lot of the smaller details wrong -- they usually go by the info Ford releases rather than actual owner info -- which would be a daunting task to gather. Thanks for the insight!

-Dan

Thanks, Fanatic... You are cool, my friend. :rockon:

I see you changed your signature area to: Next Mustang: 2008 - '09 Ford Boss Mustang -- well, allright!!

Did you just do that, or did I just wake-up? <lol>

I noticed over at the Mustang Source you're keeping them 'honest.' :victory: Seems they're pretty sure the MY'09 redesign is still on track. The absence of spoiler part nums is interesting. Got my fingers crossed ;) Certainly MY'09 is the 'right' timing.

--------------------------------

Not that Ford has to be historically true to the heritage models, but the Boss 302 in '69 <edit> did have a killer hi-rise long-runer intake -- analygous to the Cammer 3-pc unit? (funny how things repeat).

I'm just wondering how/what might roll-out when to embrace the classic mustangs. Could be: BOSS302, GT500KR (a 3rd year Shelby variant?), BOSS351, BOSS429? With ShelbyAutos variants along the way. Also, the redesigned Mustang (acommodating the big-block) would start-up at the new mustang plant after mustang leaves AAI, I would think (?)

possible sequence...???

07:

Ford: BaseGT, GT/CS, GT500

SA: GT-H

08:

Ford: BaseGT, Boss302, GT500

SA: ShelbyGT, GT350(s/c'd baseGT?)

09: (new design?)

Ford: BaseGT', Boss351 (Boss302 if redesign in '10)

SA: GT350, GT500KR (if redesign in '10)

Ford: BaseGT, Boss351, Boss429

SA: Shelby Boss-nnn?

Just grasping at straws ... trying to see what rollout might work with the historical models and the redesign/plant-change (assuming Mazda still wants full AAI capacity)

Anybody have any insights?

That's been my sig for some time, no worries though, I'd much rather have your knowledge, insight and genuine stimulating conversation as opposed to you noticing the content of my signature. :yup:

I've been trying to keep those guys over at The Mustang Source straight but I'm certainly in the minority regarding future Boss content.

I don't really have any insights but here's my $.02....

07:

Ford: Base, GT, GT/CS, GT500

SA: GT-H and Shelby GT (I thought the Shelby GT production was to commence in Q1 '07 but I could be misinformed (never wrong) :hysterical:)

08:

Ford: Base, GT, Boss302, GT500

SA: Shelby GT

09: (no new design)

Ford: Base, GT, Boss 302, Mach I, Boss 429

SA: GT500KR

Ford: Base, GT, Boss 351

SA: Shelby Super Boss :unsure:

That's been my sig for some time, no worries though, I'd much rather have your knowledge, insight and genuine stimulating conversation as opposed to you noticing the content of my signature. :yup:

I've been trying to keep those guys over at The Mustang Source straight but I'm certainly in the minority regarding future Boss content.

I don't really have any insights but here's my $.02....

07:

Ford: Base, GT, GT/CS, GT500

SA: GT-H and Shelby GT (I thought the Shelby GT production was to commence in Q1 '07 but I could be misinformed (never wrong) :hysterical:)

08:

Ford: Base, GT, Boss302, GT500

SA: Shelby GT

09: (no new design)

Ford: Base, GT, Boss 302, Mach I, Boss 429

SA: GT500KR

Ford: Base, GT, Boss 351

SA: Shelby Super Boss :unsure:

Thanks, fanatic ... and ditto here too -- like your rollout... I think you probablyhave the most likely scenario unless SA feels they have to do a KR by the '08 anniversary.

Amy B said they're still working out the details with Ford and she quoted me an approximate monthly capacity on the Shelby GT builds -- I guess they could start making them before their availability date (which I think Mark Fields said was January 07). Unfortunately, I can't remember the capacity she mentioned, but I do remember it being considerably higher than the GT-H (500 in about 12 weeks).

Must be the same brain cell that noticed your signature ;) damn, teqach my gray matter to chew bubble-gum and walk at the same time -- old age is a bitch <lol>

Thanks, fanatic ... and ditto here too -- like your rollout... I think you probablyhave the most likely scenario unless SA feels they have to do a KR by the '08 anniversary.

Amy B said they're still working out the details with Ford and she quoted me an approximate monthly capacity on the Shelby GT builds -- I guess they could start making them before their availability date (which I think Mark Fields said was January 07). Unfortunately, I can't remember the capacity she mentioned, but I do remember it being considerably higher than the GT-H (500 in about 12 weeks).

Must be the same brain cell that noticed your signature ;) damn, teqach my gray matter to chew bubble-gum and walk at the same time -- old age is a bitch <lol>

That would also work nicely with the alleged "third year" of GT500 production... of course nothin would prevent Ford from kicking it up another 50hp by swapping to a twin-screw just to give the LS7 Camaro a fair shot. <lol>

That would also work nicely with the alleged "third year" of GT500 production... of course nothin would prevent Ford from kicking it up another 50hp by swapping to a twin-screw just to give the LS7 Camaro a fair shot. <lol>

I like your thinking!! So then we could call it the GT550 or the GT500R. Oh the agony, if I only had more $ to spend...let's see, first a Boss 302, then a GT500KR...oh, and I'd like to have a Shelby GT as a daily driver.... :sos:

I like your thinking!! So then we could call it the GT550 or the GT500R. Oh the agony, if I only had more $ to spend...let's see, first a Boss 302, then a GT500KR...oh, and I'd like to have a Shelby GT as a daily driver.... :sos:

<lol> yeah, feeling poor here too -- but we feel the love <sigh> :party:

Archived