TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

5.0 modular motor 390 HP NA, maybe they stroked the 4.6 like I said they should I swear theres ford spys on this site, lol.

Ford showed a 5.0 Cammer (400HP) with four 2V Webbers at SEMA '04. But I doubt we'll see carbs ;-). Nevertheless, that means the right stroker crank already exists for the modular (with 3.55 bore) for 302 CID -- so they have the parts for a Boss 302, if that's what they decide. Amazing how tight rumor on the Boss has been -- amazing!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford showed a 5.0 Cammer (400HP) with four 2V Webbers at SEMA '04. But I doubt we'll see carbs ;-). Nevertheless, that means the right stroker crank already exists for the modular (with 3.55 bore) for 302 CID -- so they have the parts for a Boss 302, if that's what they decide. Amazing how tight rumor on the Boss has been -- amazing!

Yes, it is amazing...NOW I'm really excited...can't wait for '08!! :drool::woohoo:

Hasn't Ford had a spray bore 5.0 for a while now? I think you could buy it OTC FRPP. They used it for racing, I believe. I would think that all of the R&D has been played out here.

I think they used spray-bore on the 5.0 FR500. That would permit a 4.6 to be bored further since the spray liner takes less space than the traditional cylinder liner. Using the spray bore technology, it would permit a 5.0 that marginally overdquare (as opposed to getting to 5.0 with a slightly stroked 4.6 and conventional cyl liners).

You might enjoy this link to an excellent article on the FR500 which was used to develop many of the FRPP engine and handling parts for the present mustang and modular/cratesMustang FR500 Road Atlanta Eval Great article and the links at the bottom compare it quite favorably to the Vette and Viper and also give full specifications. Their opinion is that Dan Davis was pushing hard to get the FR500 made as a production mustang (Sort of like a Boss 302-R, don't you think?! :) WOuldn't that be a kick!

I met Dan Davis at SEMA 04 where he was showing his inverted blower-in-the-valley mod 5.4 design that seemingly reverted to a more conventional s/c-on-top design to become the GT500 motor (just my guess). I believe he is still head of Ford Racing programs -- and a real delight to talk to. I could not get an specific insight on a future Boss (this was fall '04), however the questions did bring a boyish smile to his face.

The current 4.6 and 5.4 are the same motor but the 5.4 has a longer stroke like the 351M and the 400M just larger stroke, So to have a stroke between the 4.6 and 5.4 is simple and cheap as hell for Ford, slap on GT500 heads and trans and were set all the parts are allready there and available and 390 NA HP is no prob for the set up I just said.

The current 4.6 and 5.4 are the same motor but the 5.4 has a longer stroke like the 351M and the 400M just larger stroke, So to have a stroke between the 4.6 and 5.4 is simple and cheap as hell for Ford, slap on GT500 heads and trans and were set all the parts are allready there and available and 390 NA HP is no prob for the set up I just said.

Yeah, Maniac, that's what I was referring to on the 5.0 Cammer with the Webers -- that motor got to 5.0 with a slight stroke, as you suggest.

I was also responding to PFA's post mentioning spray-bore technlogy which, due to no separate cylinder liners, permits boring a 4.6 to 5.0 (you can get about 4mm extra bore instead of stroking to 5.0), and the slightly oversquare result of boring to 5.0 will be more amenable to a higher revving Boss 302 NA modular (6,800-7,000 should be no problem). I think that's where PFA was coming from in his post. That's how they did FR500 5.0 motor that I posted the link to. Either way is fine, but if I had a choice I'd take the larger bore method, which would require spray-bore since otherwise the modular can't realistically go past a bore of 3.55"/90mm (as in the 4.6 and 5.4). The only possible downside to spray-bore (which supposedly was going into production when the FR500 article was written but haven't heard of it since) is that after 100,000 miles or whatever, you can't just pop in new liners; you'd have to allign-bore and install conventional liners and revert back to 4.6L (then again, a few years later, spray-bore tech may have made it to the aftermarket rebuilders and that 'problem' will have gone away).

Yeah, Maniac, that's what I was referring to on the 5.0 Cammer with the Webers -- that motor got to 5.0 with a slight stroke, as you suggest.

I was also responding to PFA's post mentioning spray-bore technlogy which, due to no separate cylinder liners, permits boring a 4.6 to 5.0 (you can get about 4mm extra bore instead of stroking to 5.0), and the slightly oversquare result of boring to 5.0 will be more amenable to a higher revving Boss 302 NA modular (6,800-7,000 should be no problem). I think that's where PFA was coming from in his post. That's how they did FR500 5.0 motor that I posted the link to. Either way is fine, but if I had a choice I'd take the larger bore method, which would require spray-bore since otherwise the modular can't realistically go past a bore of 3.55"/90mm (as in the 4.6 and 5.4). The only possible downside to spray-bore (which supposedly was going into production when the FR500 article was written but haven't heard of it since) is that after 100,000 miles or whatever, you can't just pop in new liners; you'd have to allign-bore and install conventional liners and revert back to 4.6L (then again, a few years later, spray-bore tech may have made it to the aftermarket rebuilders and that 'problem' will have gone away).

I'd to would prefer a slightly oversquare 5.0L to promote the hi-revving power I personally desire in a Boss Mustang. However, I clearly see the issues with the spray-bore technology and the impact on the ability to rebuild the engine using the traditional methods. I don't think Ford would sign off on a spray-bore engine from a durability standpoint unless that issue can be resolved. Of course, I'm sure Ford would be more than happy to sell you a brand-new spray-bore block... :doh:

The end result is either Ford develops a methodology for rebuilding a spray-bore block or the existing 4.6L block is stroked to 5.0L resulting in a more rpm restricted design. I know which version I'd like to see under the hood of my Boss :yup:

I think ford will prob lean more toward larger stroke then spray-bore due to the durability standpoint and cost factor, whatever ford chooses ill just be glad that there will finally be a mustang again making close to 400 hp with out a power adder, lol. Now take are new 400hp NA 5.0 and if u want more power then throw on a supercharger, I like the idea of allready 400hp NA, camaros gonna do it and the challenger to both around 400 hp NA.

I think ford will prob lean more toward larger stroke then spray-bore due to the durability standpoint and cost factor, whatever ford chooses ill just be glad that there will finally be a mustang again making close to 400 hp with out a power adder, lol. Now take are new 400hp NA 5.0 and if u want more power then throw on a supercharger, I like the idea of allready 400hp NA, camaros gonna do it and the challenger to both around 400 hp NA.

Definitely agree with you regarding a 400 hp naturally aspirated engine from Ford, it's way over due...I'm certainly looking forward to owning one!! :happy feet:

Definitely agree with you regarding a 400 hp naturally aspirated engine from Ford, it's way over due...I'm certainly looking forward to owning one!! :happy feet:

yeah, +1.. nice light, balanced, 400HP NA curve-carver :happy feet:

:yahoo:

yeah, +1.. nice light, balanced, 400HP NA curve-carver :happy feet:

:yahoo:

So now the REALLY hard question, what color? Mine has to be black...although tungsten gray would be nice...come to think of it vista blue would be awesome too....oh heck, how about one of each!! Well, I can certainly dream.... :happy feet:

WOW look at this BOSS 302post-2845-1154283102_thumb.jpg

That's awesome!!!

68fastback, I scoured all the local stores until I found a copy of the September MotorTrend article. The pic they displayed showed similar side stripes with GT500 wheels. The only pic was a drivers side shot so I couldn't tell if the front was any different but it appeared to have a stock GT front. The engine is reported to be a rev-happy 390 hp 5.0L with the stock GT500 suspension settings and the removal of unecessary equipment for a notable weight reduction. All I have to say is, AWESOME!!!!!! :woohoo::yahoo:

That's awesome!!!

68fastback, I scoured all the local stores until I found a copy of the September MotorTrend article. The pic they displayed showed similar side stripes with GT500 wheels. The only pic was a drivers side shot so I couldn't tell if the front was any different but it appeared to have a stock GT front. The engine is reported to be a rev-happy 390 hp 5.0L with the stock GT500 suspension settings and the removal of unecessary equipment for a notable weight reduction. All I have to say is, AWESOME!!!!!! :woohoo::yahoo:

Cool, Fanatic! ...and awesome! I've gotta find a copy this week! 390hp NA would do it for me, especially if around 3500 lbs! Just thinking out loud.. the Aussie GT-P (Falcon-based) that got rave reviews is 290KW (divide by .746 and you get 389HP -- close enough), but it's a 5.4L. I'm hoping Motor Trend is right on the 5.0 and still 390HP -- that would be awesome in a lightened Boss! I'm not so sure it will be easy to pass emissions with 390 NA HP from a 5.0 'cause I'm thinking some serious cam timing/overlap would be needed -- but, hopefully they've figured that out! Did they say anything about it being aluminum? Can't believe they'd do a steel Boss 5.0.

Just wonder how long Ford will wait to leak the next set of Boss tidbits to the media -- I figure they won't do anything to seriously jeopardize GT500 ADM pre-negotiations, so will wait until mid-winter (Jan/Feb '07) when pre-committed allocation rounds are past and they're well into share-of-nation. If it's true that the Boss will be an '08, I think the GT500 will only run two years, and will be $500-800 over invoice by mid-winter '08 IMO ...that's when they'll likely start leaking details on an '09 Mach-1, after the Camaro and Challenger launches are locked/shipping -- to do as much hold-out damamge as possible. That would also be 100% consistent with Fords two-year overlapped flavor-of-the-year rollout we've heard rumored/talked about. It all kinda fits nicely!

It's also 100% consistent with what a Ford insider told me several months ago but I've been ignoring because I figured it was speculation (whihch it still may be), except that it seems to be. playing out exactly as he said... he also told me the '09 mustang refresh was just a holding pattern and would almost certainly slip to '10, which is consistent with other rumors and would put Ford in the catbird seat to more effectively respond to GM/DCX's round-2... a nice position to be in. hmmmm....

One can only imagine what we'll be seeing served up in 4 model-years or so, since by then there's not too much retro stang stuff I'm especially interested in seeing repeated (with no offense intended to anyone) :) Would be a nice time for a clean-sheet of paper Mustang, maybe.

'Let the games begin!!! :shift::cheerleader::party:

Here's a link to some more info though I haven't seen the mag yet:

2008 Boss per Motor Trend!

In this update at the bottom of Dan's link it says"

July 27, 2006 - 12:57 P.M. CT, Update: An anonymous source, who says he has close ties to someone on the design team, says the 2008 Boss will not be powered by the 5.0 liter engine but instead be powered by a 6.2 liter engine that is naturally aspirated, producing 390 horsepower.

Written by: Brent Wilson " That is the Hurricane. If I recall correctly the hurricane was not envisiged as a four cam engine was it? And the yellow "BOSS" pictured in the MT article is simply a GT500 with a stripe photoshopped on. It has the ride height, nose and wheels of the GT500. Hmm....

July 27, 2006 - 12:57 P.M. CT, Update: An anonymous source, who says he has close ties to someone on the design team, says the 2008 Boss will not be powered by the 5.0 liter engine but instead be powered by a 6.2 liter engine that is naturally aspirated, producing 390 horsepower.

Written by: Brent Wilson " That is the Hurricane. If I recall correctly the hurricane was not envisiged as a four cam engine was it? And the yellow "BOSS" pictured in the MT article is simply a GT500 with a stripe photoshopped on. It has the ride height, nose and wheels of the GT500. Hmm....

All I have to say to Ford is if they produce a 6.2L version of the Boss, they MUST produce a 5.0L version with the aforementioned 390 hp NA. I certainly think the market could support two Boss Mustangs, a modern version of the 302 Boss (with 390 HP) and a iteration of the Boss 429 with the 6.2L Hurricane (min of 475 HP). The "Big" Boss could be slated to replace the GT500. Personally, I will be extremely, severly disappointed if Ford doesn't produce a Boss 302. :rant:

In 69 there was Mach 1s, bosses, shelbys,and the GT models, y there couldent be a BOSS 302 and BOSS 429 or 390 even makes no sense to me if they build it ppl will buy it. And one question, em I the only one who sees a 1970 front end on that green BOSS, were was the source on that picture? Check it out that might be either a glimpse of the new BOSS or perhaps are 09 or 10 mustang.

Heres a 70 BOSS 302

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars...3-000002big.jpg

Good catch, Rob! I didn't even see that. If I recall my 385-series nums, it's good to about 4.15 bore (or .6" more than the present modular series) but I don't believe the original 385-series was conceived as an OHC engine. The SOHC version of the 427 was done later for NASCAR homolagation and when NASCAR banned it (because it was too fast) Ford pulled out -- but the design is there. While I've heard rumors that the revised Hurrcane was to get DOHC treatment and have even heard rumors that Cosworth worked with Ford on the heads, I can find not a shread of evidence to support that. And if the sole purpose were in F-series SuperDutys, I can't see that Ford would make that investment (tho I would love if they did!) and I would think it would be an iron motor (but see below*).

On 3/27/06 the Editor of Ford Muscle stated [in the context of use in Ford trucks]: "Analysts say Ford’s Cleveland casting plant has received orders for a new 6.2-liter engine block, with work to begin next year. The speculation is that the Ford engine will outgun the Hemi and may be used in other company platforms." I'm wondering if the Ford insider quote might not actually be in the context of a big Boss (427/429), which would logically be an '09 to be historically correct. So, maybe we'll see both Boss versions after all?!

* I also find it courious that after so many years of so many people lamenting not being able to get 427SC 4-bolt side-oilers for their new-issue CS cobras, that Carroll Shelby is now offering them, modeled on the originals but beefed-up with huge valley cross-ribs, deep-skirt aluminum block, enormous 6-bolt (4 from the side and two down) mains, and even the legendary siamesed-cylinder treatment (+/- 516cid square-point or thereabouts). The blocks are certified to hold at least 1500HP. All of this work is being done through Shelby's engine builder in CA and all related parts are also available: pistons, h-beam rods, intakes, etc. If Ford brings the hurricane back to our beloved pony car, it would seem that Mr.S., coincidentally, has a whole bunch of hi-po goodies for it.

68fastback, I hope you are correct that the comment by the Ford insider is a forbearance of a future GT500 replacement "Big" Boss and NOT an indication that the Boss will only come in a single 6.2L flavor. I would certainly agree that a DOHC version of the 6.2L Hurricane in the "Big" Boss would be an awesome successor to the GT500. Ford will need to introduce an engine to compete with the Hemi both in terms of performance and media attention.

However, a 6.2L Boss would likely be quite heavy and certainly not in keeping with the Boss 302 theme of lighter weight, excellent weight distribution and high-revving horsepower in a road race inspired package, capable of performance in all categories, not just straight line acceleration. Certainly the demand exists for two Boss models and that would be my personal preference, introduce a new Boss 302 in '08 and a "Big" Boss (rated at 429 hp...hmmmm ;) )to replace the GT500 in '09. If Ford only chooses to offer one Boss model, it most certainly must be a Boss 302 IMHO. B)

68fastback, I hope you are correct that the comment by the Ford insider is a forbearance of a future GT500 replacement "Big" Boss and NOT an indication that the Boss will only come in a single 6.2L flavor. I would certainly agree that a DOHC version of the 6.2L Hurricane in the "Big" Boss would be an awesome successor to the GT500. Ford will need to introduce an engine to compete with the Hemi both in terms of performance and media attention.

However, a 6.2L Boss would likely be quite heavy and certainly not in keeping with the Boss 302 theme of lighter weight, excellent weight distribution and high-revving horsepower in a road race inspired package, capable of performance in all categories, not just straight line acceleration. Certainly the demand exists for two Boss models and that would be my personal preference, introduce a new Boss 302 in '08 and a "Big" Boss (rated at 429 hp...hmmmm ;) )to replace the GT500 in '09. If Ford only chooses to offer one Boss model, it most certainly must be a Boss 302 IMHO. B)

+1

also, found MT bit on the Boss... I think JETSOLVER is correct: gt500 w/ photoshop'd stripes though the ride height on the pg 14-15 MT article does look a bit lower (easy photoshop fix as well).

It's amazing how MT states it "will get the impressive Shelby GT500 suspension setup." but they seem unsure of the displacement (saying 5.0-liter in one spot and rev-happy...about 5.0 litres in another) or relevant questions (spray-bore vs sleeve) yet they're sure it "rev-happy" and a mod motor developed off the existing alloy mod series ....and it will get Boss stripes (duh!). Sounds like they're covering their bets and just wanted to be first to show a pic (of something).

+1

also, found MT bit on the Boss... I think JETSOLVER is correct: gt500 w/ photoshop'd stripes though the ride height on the pg 14-15 MT article does look a bit lower (easy photoshop fix as well).

It's amazing how MT states it "will get the impressive Shelby GT500 suspension setup." but they seem unsure of the displacement (saying 5.0-liter in one spot and rev-happy...about 5.0 litres in another) or relevant questions (spray-bore vs sleeve) yet they're sure it "rev-happy" and a mod motor developed off the existing alloy mod series ....and it will get Boss stripes (duh!). Sounds like they're covering their bets and just wanted to be first to show a pic (of something).

Agreed, I just think they are reacting to rumors and want to be first to publish a alleged photo of the Boss. I'll also agree with an earlier statement, we should see something more concrete during the 2007 show circuit.

* I also find it courious that after so many years of so many people lamenting not being able to get 427SC 4-bolt side-oilers for their new-issue CS cobras, that Carroll Shelby is now offering them, modeled on the originals but beefed-up with huge valley cross-ribs, deep-skirt aluminum block, enormous 6-bolt (4 from the side and two down) mains, and even the legendary siamesed-cylinder treatment (+/- 516cid square-point or thereabouts).

Funny most of those specs are what made me so excited about the original Teksid cast 4 valve mod. engine. 6-bolt deep skirt block with a real first for FORD, a cylinder head that actually could breath on both sides. And it took up a very small footprint in length, and weight, as well as arguably width. And for those who never got to experiance the original N.A. 4 valve, the first time I took it all the way to 7400 revs I d :censored: m near wet myself. The first modern available, AFFORDABLE, V/8 that could scream like that with the A/C on....and deliver good fuel economy. I thought(and still think most days) that I'd found the holy grail. As to the proposed Hurricane, an iron block would be a big letdown for me.(as is the GTR500 on that point) The suggestion that a new BOSS might transfer the entire GT500 suspension suggests to me that the weight bias issue might still be a problem. I still hope(wonder) if FORD will have the corporate will to finish what they started with the GT500, and call that the BOSS. :baby:

Funny most of those specs are what made me so excited about the original Teksid cast 4 valve mod. engine. 6-bolt deep skirt block with a real first for FORD, a cylinder head that actually could breath on both sides. And it took up a very small footprint in length, and weight, as well as arguably width. And for those who never got to experiance the original N.A. 4 valve, the first time I took it all the way to 7400 revs I d :censored: m near wet myself. The first modern available, AFFORDABLE, V/8 that could scream like that with the A/C on....and deliver good fuel economy. I thought(and still think most days) that I'd found the holy grail. As to the proposed Hurricane, an iron block would be a big letdown for me.(as is the GTR500 on that point) The suggestion that a new BOSS might transfer the entire GT500 suspension suggests to me that the weight bias issue might still be a problem. I still hope(wonder) if FORD will have the corporate will to finish what they started with the GT500, and call that the BOSS. :baby:

That's why I liked the '01 Cobra all alloy modular so much too <sigh> even if only 320HP. Never felt any NA motor pull so linearly like that before -- that sold me on the DOHC modulars.

Btw, also, found this little tidbit over at Autoweek:

The Ford Mustang will be restyled for the 2010 model year, one year later than previously planned.

The Mustang is likely to get a bigger engine developed under the Hurricane program. The main Hurricane engine is expected to have a 6.2-liter displacement, but a 5.8-liter is also possible. Ford could revive the Boss name to brand the engines.

Ford has pledged to keep the Mustang nameplate fresh by doing special versions each model year.

We can only hope that's on the '10 base to battle the Hemi and a 5.0 Boss will be an NA mod.

I also read thru all the Autoweek stuff on the truck rollouts. Chick full of 6.4 Diesel (my bet is on dual turbo! ;-) but not a word about 6.2 Hurricane or any reference to a big block NA truck motor... I thought that curious since the Mustang references above were in the same writeups.

Agreed, if all Ford does is replicate the GT500 w/o a SC and call it a Boss, I'll have to decline. Among all the Mustang models that Ford produced (without Shelby's involvement) the Boss stands as the pinnacle of the Mustang hierarchy. If Ford doesn't produce a model that is truly unique and maintains the Boss legacy, buyers will leave for other marques and the Mustang image will suffer. Ford should stop playing games and give us a true, authentic Boss!!! :rockon::yup:

That'd be ok with me, 'cause a 351 with 385-series bore-spacing would be a oversquare 'rev-happy' motor!

Maybe that's it!?

IF Ford decides not to produce a Boss 302, then a Boss 351 would be a close second as long as she does rev hard and the car performs in the handling and braking arenas.

Two pieces of interesting Ford news on the net today:

- Ford to announce a new Shelby next week!!! (source: Wards Auto) Wards Auto ...scroll down, left column...

Could this be the GT350? or Boss? or ???

- Ford to Brand it's first engine (ala 'Hemi') -- announcement to come soon (source: SEMA)

I'll post this as a new topic over at GT500 Meeting Place since we don't know exactly what car this all relates to, but, man this is good news! Ford to Brand Engine

Could it be the Hurricane?!!!!

-Dan

<edit:> 1st item link above to Wards: they've updated their site today (8/4/06), so topic is gone, but I'm sure we'll hear more real soon. 2nd link still good.

Two pieces of interesting Ford news on the net today:

- Ford to announce a new Shelby next week!!! (source: Wards Auto) Wards Auto ...scroll down, left column...

Could this be the GT350? or Boss? or ???

- Ford to Brand it's first engine (ala 'Hemi') -- announcement to come soon (source: SEMA)

I'll post this as a new topic over at GT500 Meeting Place since we don't know exactly what car this all relates to, but, man this is good news! Ford to Brand Engine

Could it be the Hurricane?!!!!

-Dan

Accord to what I have ready, the Shelby GT (or GT350) will essentially be the same car as GT-H, available in some different color combos and with either a automatic or 5 spd. Interesting development for sure and not totally unexpected.

Haven't heard the information on the engine branding but it certainly makes sense for Ford's "Bold Moves" marketing initiative. Great find!!

Archived