TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP/Whipple 400HP and a Automatic SGT

I have driven the GT all weekend and filled her up twice. Lets start from the begining. The kit is complete right down to the last tie wrap. Install time was about 8 hours which includes technical phone calls to Ford Racing. We used a lift, air tools, and a technicians who restore and maintain cars for a living to do the install. We dont install superchargers on a daily basis. Average DIY install is about double depending on how well you can read instructions and turn a wrench. The only problem we encountered was the tuning issue which FRPP sent a new tune the next morning and the car fired right up. If you have a SGT call FRPP with the voucher number and tell them you have a Shelby. This way you save 24 hours of the car being down. One thing we noticed is Ford gives you extra length hose which we cut in some areas to clean up the engine bay. We are currently working on a fuel rail that goes over the whipple to replace the rubber one. Not that it doesnt work but details are everything. The tune itself seems decent for a MAIL ORDER tune. Its rich and safe for any climate or condition. The one thing that suprised me is the transmission shift strategy. Its pretty tight and fast. Kickdowns are really quick and help build boost ( and blow the tires off the car which I did a few times)quickly. Fuel economy hasnt been determined yet but thats because I want HP not MPG with this vehicle. Now where this kit really helps is in the torque area. The car weighs about 3700lbs. and needs torque because of the 281 cubes under the hood. The SC more than makes up for it. I believe a roots type SC should be considered before a centrifigal SC on a automatic street car. You eliminate the need for a torque converter and boost is instant.

Driving the car around town and on the highway is a blast. The car is quiet and very much like stock. The only hint of the SC is the exhaust note is louder and the whine under boost(which we all love). I drove it about 150 miles and I wasnt easy on the car. Performance is night and day compared to stock. I will have track times soon. My best pre SC stock time to date is 13.29 at 105.36mph. The SC should make this very interesting when the fall cool dry air gets here. The Density Altitude can easily get into the negatives. When I run it Ill post the times and issues if there are any. Heres some pictures after the install was done. Next are gauges and more research into pullies tunes and so on.

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

If you are on the fence about purchasing this kit dont be. Its a great kit and requires no butchering of the car which I really liked. Plus if you look around the kit can be had for around $5,000.00 with free shipping. I bought mine thru a local Ford dealer that I work with. The reason for this post is because Ive gotten emails asking on my thoughts so I figured I would post them. Plus if this helps anyone in the future great.

We could have gone a couple of ways. To the rear, front, and over the top. If we can add some bling and function to the line I will. Some braided hose and fittings might work.

Horsbyt, I did the NON IC kit. It would have been nice to reuse the strut tower brace too. I usually put a hand on the brace and lean in to detail under the hood. LOL Now I have to use the top of the SC.

I plan on adding a SC at some point but will probably go with the 550 Whipple. I do have one question 93 octane is not readily available near me can the tune be adjusted t0 accept 91 octane ? I can find 93 but it's a lot harder to locate and doesn't exist in my town.

Don

I plan on adding a SC at some point but will probably go with the 550 Whipple. I do have one question 93 octane is not readily available near me can the tune be adjusted t0 accept 91 octane ? I can find 93 but it's a lot harder to locate and doesn't exist in my town.

Don

91 octane is the lowest that you can go on your programer. Tom

I plan on adding a SC at some point but will probably go with the 550 Whipple......

Don

Wow Steve, that looks great!! Congratulations!!

Darnit Steve!!! I was thinking about going the SC route until Tasca put me on hold last month, I've been thinking about how much moola it is. I don't know if I want to spend it. You got me back to thinking about it again.

its a great mod and worth every penny. Reconsider it. You will enjoy the car even more. Well Im off to go drive her right now.

I couldn't agree more. The SGT is transformed into a street monster with an SC. If you have the dough, don't hesitate. The smiles it brings are well worth the money, effort, and install. But be prepared to drop some more cash on tires, brakes, and suspension! :)

ShowCar, your engine bay looks great. That Whipple is a beautiful little piece of machinery.

Ken

I took the Shelby to Great lakes Dragaway last night. First couple of runs were 13.2 and 13.1 at 108mph. After a few driver adjustments she cracked off a 12.90 at 110mph. It turns out traction is much more of an issue now not that Im suprised. I used to cut 1.90 60ft. times very very consistantly. Now my 60fts. were 2.20-2.25. I lost three tenths at the line. So I put some dry heat in the Goodyears and could only get a 2.16 60ft. on my best pass. The density altitude was 1983ft. Temps were in the mid 70's and humidity was about 66%. I learned that the FRPP tune is way to safe even for a blown car. The Drive by wire throttle actually shuts each time the car shifts. Friends in the stands said they could hear the SC whine then stop, whine then stop, whine then stop, then whine to the finsih line thru fourth gear. It felt just like that in the car too. But only at full throttle. One run I went about 3/4 throttle the whole run and trapped 108mph. My tailpipes are nice and black after about 600miles on the car. I will have her dynoed soon. Stay tuned.

I took the Shelby to Great lakes Dragaway last night. First couple of runs were 13.2 and 13.1 at 108mph. After a few driver adjustments she cracked off a 12.90 at 110mph. It turns out traction is much more of an issue now not that Im suprised. I used to cut 1.90 60ft. times very very consistantly. Now my 60fts. were 2.20-2.25. I lost three tenths at the line. So I put some dry heat in the Goodyears and could only get a 2.16 60ft. on my best pass. The density altitude was 1983ft. Temps were in the mid 70's and humidity was about 66%. I learned that the FRPP tune is way to safe even for a blown car. The Drive by wire throttle actually shuts each time the car shifts. Friends in the stands said they could hear the SC whine then stop, whine then stop, whine then stop, then whine to the finsih line thru fourth gear. It felt just like that in the car too. But only at full throttle. One run I went about 3/4 throttle the whole run and trapped 108mph. My tailpipes are nice and black after about 600miles on the car. I will have her dynoed soon. Stay tuned.

Traction is a serious problem for me too. I need tires yesterday. The F1's aren't cutting it anymore.

As for the tune, drop Justin a line at vmptuning.com. He got me fixed up very nicely at a reasonable cost and wait.

Ken

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I always felt like the tune for this kit was WAYYYY too rich! As you've also now confirmed it takes NO time at all to blacken up the pipes, drives me nuts! And as for the "whine" I always wondered WHY as soon as it starts to whine and you shift that the momentum doesn't stay? I think i'm now convinced I need to get a REAL tune on this thing! I know there's got to be ALOT more in this thing! Thanks again!

Steve, be sure to let all of us know how the dyno tune goes and what you think after. You too Horsbyt! Someday I hope to add the 400HP Whipple and it's great to learn from you guys what to expect, and some steps that may need to be taken after the install.

Get that car tuned and put a good Converter in it 3200 stall would be perfect and let the 11's come rolling in! :shift:

Congrats bye the way! :happy feet:

Jim

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I always felt like the tune for this kit was WAYYYY too rich! As you've also now confirmed it takes NO time at all to blacken up the pipes, drives me nuts! And as for the "whine" I always wondered WHY as soon as it starts to whine and you shift that the momentum doesn't stay? I think i'm now convinced I need to get a REAL tune on this thing! I know there's got to be ALOT more in this thing! Thanks again!

Unfortunately to have a safe tune, you will have black tailpipes (and it drives me nuts too!) I had my 'vert custom tuned after the 400 hp kit was installed and the pipes still blacken up right away. My tuner said it was normal. I also strongly recommend a custom tune. My vert had a lot left in it. I have switched between the FRPP tune and my custom tune. The difference is very noticeable. The FRPP tune feels much slower and even the supercharger does not sound as good with the FRPP tune.

Archived