TEAM SHELBY FORUM

cooling upgrades

I'm focusing my upgrade efforts on cooling for the rest of the summer (along with a few safety upgrades, but that's for another thread).

Here's what I have planned for the short term future, in order of priority:

- Paxton air-to-air intercooler kit (on order)

- Revan/Shelby high performance radiator (on order)

- Revan custom built battery box mounted coolant reservoir (on order)

- Lethal 180* thermostat (on order)

- Griggs power steering cooler (on order)

- Griggs brake cooling kit

- Samco blue silicone radiator hoses

I have a couple of questions related to cooling, however. What are the pros/cons of water-meth injection? Is it possible and/or necessary with an already intercooled setup? I know very little about it, so any info is appreciated. I'm not looking to make any more power with the stock internals. I just want to stay at the power I'm at a little more safely and consistently.

Is a transmission cooler of any use on a manual trans car? This is the only brand I've found: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/20...il/?Ns=Rank|Asc

What about engine oil coolers? Again, Hayden is the only brand I've run across: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/20...il/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Are there any other worthwhile cooling upgrades that I've missed? Thanks for any opinion or experience.

Ken

SPP-GT500RADIATOR_MED.jpg

I was doing some homework on the Meth/Inj setup. There's certainly some value there and especially in a non-IC situation, such as mine. However, what turned me off to the whole thing, at least for now was that you always had to keep the Meth level up. The recommend reservoir for it was to use your window wash fluid. Which is all welll and good, but from what I found out, you'd be filling that thing up almost every time you filled up the gas tank. A little more work than I was willing to do. In most situations, it appeared that it could cool the intake down about 100 degrees less, which then you could add more timing. Again, this would require a complete custom tune. With the new tune, plus the kit, etc I think i'd be better off just buying the IC because I wouldn't be that far off.

I was doing some homework on the Meth/Inj setup. There's certainly some value there and especially in a non-IC situation, such as mine. However, what turned me off to the whole thing, at least for now was that you always had to keep the Meth level up. The recommend reservoir for it was to use your window wash fluid. Which is all welll and good, but from what I found out, you'd be filling that thing up almost every time you filled up the gas tank. A little more work than I was willing to do. In most situations, it appeared that it could cool the intake down about 100 degrees less, which then you could add more timing. Again, this would require a complete custom tune. With the new tune, plus the kit, etc I think i'd be better off just buying the IC because I wouldn't be that far off.

Which kits were you looking at? The only one I know of is Snow Performance.

You'll need a new tune with the intercooler though too I think. Or not with the Whipple?

most of the set ups I've read about only kick in under boost, and their tanks don't need to be filled for a couple of weeks. there are plenty of threads out there on different forums, here's one.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...=Meth+Injection

• 2 weeks later...

Archived