TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shook Carroll's hand on Saturday!

stormeaston

I wanted to post this a month ago, but I didn't want to jinx myself. There's a big Mustang show in Fond Du Lac WI called Horses and Hogs. It's put on by the local Harley dealer and some Mustang owners, who thought it would be a great idea to combine shows since Harleys owners and Mustang owners both savor fine machinery. This was our third year at this show and we wanted to win a trophy because they are so kool, it's a bronze statue of a running Mustang horse and weighs about 10lbs, well, low and behold we finally did it this year. But that's not the really kool part. After we got our award a couple of guys came up to us and invite us to a very special car show. It was to be held at the EAA Air Show in Oshkosh WI and would feature 75 of the best Mustangs in the Midwest from 1965 on up. He went on to tell us that FORD is a big sponsor there and really wanted to promote the 2010 Mustang and the new P-51 Mustang car. So they sent these guys to find 75 of the best of the best. To say the least I was very flattered, but then again you guys all know the feeling because you own the best car car out there. Anyway, he said it was a two day event, Friday and Saturday, the cars would have to stay on the grounds overnite per FAA rules. Not only would I have to take a day of vacation but where the hell would I find a hotel room on such short notice this is one of the biggest air shows in the world and rooms are sold out years in advance for a 100 miles. I was just kinda starting to think of saying it would be too much of a hassle when he said "oh and Carroll Shelby will be there as a judge and so would Jack Roush. I told him I would be there for sure. A chance to meet the choosen one could not be passed up and just maybe I could get him to sign the car personally!!! I already had the air bag cover signed but it's just not the same when you could have a chance at having him sign it personally. We called around, there were some roons available......400-500 a nite..........no thanks. I told the wife she would have to drive a chase vehicle and we would have to drive the 2 1/2 hrs one way from Foggy Bogg to Oshkosh and back. It was the only way, so we left at 4:00am Friday morning and arrived at EAA on time. When we got there one of the promoters had found us a room for Friday for 100 bucks, we snapped that up. We got the car ready, and then waited for Carroll to show. It never happened, he was signing autographs at the Ford booth for 3 hrs, and then went to lunch, when he got done with that he was too tired to come to the area where we were set up. They said he would be there Saturday for sure at 11:00am. I told the guys around me who were kinda grumbling, "Jesus, the guys 86 years old, give him a break" Saturday came and my hopes were still very high, it had rained and we quickly cleaned the car up, and then waited. Some of the Ford big wigs stopped by and we talked to them, they again assured us he would be there at 11:00 am and that they really appreciated us comming. I thought just get Carroll here and my day will be made. It was so kool..........Carroll came at eleven, we all started our cars up at the moment he arrive and reved them up......you should have seen the smile on his face. I was sweating, I has to piss, my heart was beating fast as Carroll approach my car.......I said "I bought one of your cars", "I see that" he said as I shook his hand. "Would you sign my car??" I asked, "sure, no problem". "Would you like anything else signed", I said that was good enough. "How's about a picture with your wife" "That would be great". What a great guy, he asked my wife if she wanted to be in the middle and she said "Your the celebrity" you should be in the middle" No I'm not, just a regular guy" We took the pictures, I had to pinch myself, all that trouble was worth it. And of course I do have pictures!!!

shelby4.jpg

shelby3.jpg

shelby2-1.jpg

shelby1-1.jpg

I'm still on the "high" :) I got from meeting Carroll, my boss came in and yelled at me for being gone on friday, :talkhand: I told him to eat $hit and bark at the moon, :rant: no one's going to spoil the day.

Congrats. What a great story. How humble is that "regular guy"? That is so cool.

I don't know if I'd ever be the same after an encounter like that :happy feet: I got choked up just reading about it.

Mr Shelby is a wonderful person to meet. For an 86 year old man on his third heart he gets around pretty good!

It is awesome that you were invited and that he signed your car! :happy feet: Being able to document him signing your car in person is something that few of us will ever get.

Great story!

Thanks a million guys, I was honored to represent the SGT family!

Archived