TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford ESP Warranty

frankc5601

For all those folks out there that are just waiting for the clutch to go bad shortly after the warranty period, I recently bought the Ford Extended Service Plan Warranty, 36000 miles, or 84 months, for $745. It was the full coverage plan with $50 deductible. Lots of options available, but I figured cheap insurance for a $8000 clutch problem that will happen sooner or later. I found a coupon for $190 off, otherwise it would have been $$935. Good luck. If you buy it now, I think it is cheaper since the car is still under OEM warranty.

I also have the Ford ESP plan.

Mine is 84 months or 60,000 miles...what ever comes first. This covers me to March 8th, 2014.

The cost at the time of the sale was $860.

I never buy these warranties....but on this car, I did.

is there a timeframe on when the ESP must be purchased by? Can i still purchase ESP if my 08 has just reached 1 year since the date of purchase? Where can i purchase the ESP from?

Thanks you

Ron

You can buy them anytime before your basic warranty expires. Any Ford dealership sells them. There is an MSRP but the price is negotiable. Here is a link to get you started

<<ESP LINK>>

Guys are you sure the clutch is covered by the ESP? See below:

Components Not Covered by Ford ESP PremiumCare Mechanical:

Service adjustments/cleaning; battery/cables, belts, hoses, Brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, lining, disc rotors and pads); coolant; exhaust system (including catalytic converter); lights (bulbs, sealed beam and lenses); filters, fluids, lubricants, manual clutch disc, shock absorbers, spark plugs/wires; squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment, wheel studs, wiper blades.

If your buying the extended warranty in hopes of a clutch replacement your in for a rude awakening. A clutch is a "wear item" just like tires. It's not covered.

AAHHH...........Someone is paying attention. The only way a clutch is covered by ESP is if you have a failure. IE:Failed pressure plate, broken flywheel, bad slave cylinder. They will not cover "WEAR". If it is found that a bad slave or other covered component has caused the clutch to fail your good !!

The 5/50 applies to all Shelbys but...

Ford has recently started denying coverage for clutch issues, even the TSB after the 12/12 adjustment period. The clutch is a wear component, even if the flywheel accelorated that wear.

This recent change in policy is going to bring lawsuits. I contend its cheaper to buy a spec clutch and avoid dealership service departments than it is to pay lawyers. Ford's corporate responsibility and customer support of performance cars has gotten worse as the cars have gotten faster. Its ashame and a reason many will not even consider a Shelby. Ford is moving up in the world lateley but thier service policies and they way they train thier dealers to deal with service will be the achilies heal preventing them from making it to the top unless they fix it from the top down.

The ESP is even more worthless on the TSB issue. It does not cover clutch wear at all. It does not cover TSBs and recalls which are covered by the factory warranty, either way you are on your own. Spend the 900 from the warranty and buy the clutch and be over it.

7 years, 75,000 miles. Zero deductible; no cost loaner car if my car has a sleep over at the dealer.

For all those folks out there that are just waiting for the clutch to go bad shortly after the warranty period, I recently bought the Ford Extended Service Plan Warranty, 36000 miles, or 84 months, for $745. It was the full coverage plan with $50 deductible. Lots of options available, but I figured cheap insurance for a $8000 clutch problem that will happen sooner or later. I found a coupon for $190 off, otherwise it would have been $$935. Good luck. If you buy it now, I think it is cheaper since the car is still under OEM warranty.

wow great deal, where did you find a coupon?

i call it a good deal worth the money.

Hi Everyone,

I had my Clutch TSB done at 77K miles with the Ford extended warranty so yes it is covered!

It shifts much better now...but with 77k miles it needed a new clutch anyway! A Ford Master tech supervised the install which took almost 4 weeks. I have put 7k miles on the change with no problems. They told me they replaced 3 sets of gears in the transmission. Sounds like most of you are getting complete new transmissions now. Probably a better deal than I got? Not sure if the Ford testing site replaced my clutch before they sold it to Port Clinton Ford in OH with 50K miles on it. Is it possible the first clutch went 77K miles? Seems unlikely! I know I put 27k miles on it but it was mostly freeway miles.

Mark / MSB Mustang

PS - Can I extend my warranty again? It expires at 85K with is 1100 more miles.

Anyone know if you can get the extended warranty on a KR? Since its been modded by SAI, I have a feeling FMC might balk at covering it.

I do not think so I just bought a KR yesterday and they said there was no ESP.

I do not think so I just bought a KR yesterday and they said there was no ESP.

Dennis, your dealer is either misinformed or lying to you. ESP took my policy and I have a 605 H.P. Super Snake; and that information was completly disclosed to them.

Dennis, your dealer is either misinformed or lying to you. ESP took my policy and I have a 605 H.P. Super Snake; and that information was completly disclosed to them.

I do hope you never have to use it. I can just see FMC coming back and saying whatever the problem is, is due to Shelby's mods. Then, you get in a battle between FMC and SAI.

Archived