TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dead Pedal

yraegel

Has anyone come across a dead pedal for the '10 GT500? I remember reading about the '06 GT even having holes marked for one. I really can't understand why Ford doesn't put them in their U.S. cars with manual transmissions (ok, must be $$$). It seems pretty simple but it's something I really miss and apparently want real bad. Not too comfortable with drilling through the body, carpet, and whatever is in between so any experience that anyone has with this is most appreciated. :beerchug:

Public Service time...

I've read a few posts from new owners who haven't driven a manual in a while and others who are newer to the game. I've preferred and owned manual cars for 30 years. People frequently complain about manuals while in a traffic jam. For me, it is so ingrained that it happens "automatically" without me thinking about it. The two automatics I've owned never gave me the same pleasure of driving or the control I expect. Please indulge me as I pass along some advice I received in the '70's from my mother no less. In my own words: :soapbox:

Brakes are engineered to stop a car and hold it in place. A clutch is engineered to disengage the engine from the drivetrain while changing gears. Knowing this:

NEVER, EVER:

NEVER keep your foot on the clutch. Shift gears and put your foot somewhere else like on a dead pedal (Ford?).

NEVER rest your hand on the gear shift while driving. This one isn't mom's wisdom but a friend told me you can warp things by doing this.

NEVER remain stopped for a long time with the car in gear and your foot on the clutch. Neutral serves this purpose very well. Remove your foot completely from the clutch. Unless you're dragging, you can get it in gear and go quickly enough when the light changes. And if the guy behind honks, demonstrate the utility of 540 Horsepower. He won't find you again in the smokescreen.

NEVER, EVER, EVER use the clutch to hold the car on an incline. The brakes are specifically included on your car for this purpose among others. Want to have it in gear and get away quick on that hill? Use the handbrake which is conveniently positioned so you can do this. Remember, any brake = stop and hold. Clutch = put the car in motion and change gears.

I'm happy to report that my daughter knows all of this. In fact she won't own an automatic. :wub: Cracks me up when she harrasses her boyriend who hasn't quite figured it out yet.

I'll shut up now....yeah, dead pedal. Anyone? :lurk:

Here's the one I installed on my 2007; don't know whether it fits the 2010. The pedal is very functional being a dead-pedal; I rest my foot on it all the time now.

And I agree with and practice most of your guidance, however I don't understand the one about resting your hand on the shifter, that should not warp anything IMO.

Despite the tranny having synchros, I make a habit of double-clutching/speed matching when down shifting; when done right you can't even feel the downshift.

Dead_Pedal_Installed.jpg

Here's the one I installed on my 2007; don't know whether it fits the 2010. The pedal is very functional being a dead-pedal; I rest my foot on it all the time now.

And I agree with and practice most of your guidance, however I don't understand the one about resting your hand on the shifter, that should not warp anything IMO.

Despite the tranny having synchros, I make a habit of double-clutching/speed matching when down shifting; when done right you can't even feel the downshift.

Dead_Pedal_Installed.jpg

Thanks 6-Speed. That looks great. I bet you'd miss it if you pulled it out. What did the installation involve?

I always double clutch upshifting when the gearbox is really cold. I like the idea of doing it when downshifting. Must try.

I think the hand on shifter recommendation applies more when a longer shifter is involved. The force of your hand resting on the other end of a 24 inch shifter, in an old pickup for example, is probably significant. I could see that having a long term effect on the gearbox if you habitually tool along with your hand and arm weight hanging on the end constantly. Dunno :lurk:

NEVER remain stopped for a long time with the car in gear and your foot on the clutch. Neutral serves this purpose very well. Remove your foot completely from the clutch. Unless you're dragging, you can get it in gear and go quickly enough when the light changes. And if the guy behind honks, demonstrate the utility of 540 Horsepower. He won't find you again in the smokescreen.

I had to demostrate my 500HP a little bit ago. I had it in neutral, light turned green, I took a second to get my game on, dude in Porche Boxter climbs up my rear end, he get to see a demostration of POWER!

Thanks 6-Speed. That looks great. I bet you'd miss it if you pulled it out. What did the installation involve?

The pedal mounts to a bracket that attaches to a large existing bolt behind the kick panel. Not too difficult to access. Again, I am not sure it will fit the 2010 model, but you can try calling Shelby.

I owned one automatic since and will never go back. Had to replace one clutch ever and that was on a SHO that a female owned before I bought it used. I drive in moderate and sometimes heavy stop and go traffic in NJ daily. It's second nature. My car has an integrated dead pedal stock, but I rarely use it unless I'm taking a nap during lunch. Yes, I have an infant and toddler so they sometimes wake me up at night causing for a weak eye the next day at work. BTW, my 3 year old has been calling my current car "rocket ship" for over a year. I wonder what she'll call the GT500 when I get it late August.

The pedal mounts to a bracket that attaches to a large existing bolt behind the kick panel. Not too difficult to access. Again, I am not sure it will fit the 2010 model, but you can try calling Shelby.

Thanks again 6-Speed. I'm definitely going to follow up.

I owned one automatic since and will never go back. Had to replace one clutch ever and that was on a SHO that a female owned before I bought it used. I drive in moderate and sometimes heavy stop and go traffic in NJ daily. It's second nature. My car has an integrated dead pedal stock, but I rarely use it unless I'm taking a nap during lunch. Yes, I have an infant and toddler so they sometimes wake me up at night causing for a weak eye the next day at work. BTW, my 3 year old has been calling my current car "rocket ship" for over a year. I wonder what she'll call the GT500 when I get it late August.

I just always took it for granted until I bought a Ford and it wasn't there. Personal choice I guess but I really do miss it.

I'd suggest Starship but I'm a geek. :D

Here's what Ford gave us for a dead pedal in the 2007 to 2009 models - a block of foam covered by carpeting.

dead_pedal_area.jpg

Here's a few pictures showing how the Shelby dead pedal installs in the car - it's very sturdy. Here you can see the bolt that the bracket attaches to.

dead_pedal_mount.jpg

Dead_Pedal_Installed_3.jpg

The one in Post #4 looks like it matches the stock pedals pretty well (good call Ingram).

I'm going to order it tomorrow...

I like the fact that it matches too but it looks like it lays flat and it's called a cover. Let me know how it goes if you do get it goldgus! :lurk:

I like the fact that it matches too but it looks like it lays flat and it's called a cover. Let me know how it goes if you do get it goldgus! :lurk:

The dead pedal offered by American Muscle is very similar to the Shelby pedal - installs the same way. This one is 1/8" thick, the Shelby pedal is a bit thicker. Here are the on-line instructions from American Muscle.

The AM pedal does look like it lays flat. I like how the Shelby pedal is raised slightly off the carpeting at the top, which makes for a more natural/comfortable angle to rest my foot.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangtuni...ver-install.pdf

And if the guy behind honks, demonstrate the utility of 540 Horsepower. He won't find you again in the smokescreen.

Good advice on clutch usage Yraegel. And the above quote is great! :hysterical2:

I don't own this but I have always liked the way it matched the other pedals.

<<LINK>>

That one looks pretty nice. I'd definitely go with that if I were to get one.

The one in Post #4 looks like it matches the stock pedals pretty well (good call Ingram).

I'm going to order it tomorrow...

Yea.....let us know how you like it...with pics of course. I would order one too but I need to stop buying all this stuff before I get my car!

I saw that before.......and wasnt sure how it would look with the stock pedals. But now I think I'm sold.....that looks great!! How was the installation?

Really simple. The cover has some pointed prongs on the right side of the pedal. You place the cover in place and get it lined up at the top and bottom, then just push it the left. The pointed prongs go into the carpet and under the dead pedal. The installation is pretty firm.

Jim

Really simple. The cover has some pointed prongs on the right side of the pedal. You place the cover in place and get it lined up at the top and bottom, then just push it the left. The pointed prongs go into the carpet and under the dead pedal. The installation is pretty firm.

Jim

Thanks Jim!!

Archived