TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How to Order a 2010 GT500....Please Read

War Eagle

Guys,

I wanted to start this thread to help some of the new guys avoid the heartbreak and stress Burning Blue and I went thru.

If you intend to place an order for a 2010 or have already you absolutely must verify beyond any doubt that the Dealer has an allocation for your order.Do not take the word of the salesman, get it in writing from the Sales Manager or General Manager.

There are virtually no allocations left out there among the Dealers so there is a very good chance you can get burned like I did with an order that is going no where. Some Dealers are taking orders expecting that they will receive allocations at a later date. Do not let them play this game with you.

Once your order is placed you should have a VIN # in less than a week. Your build date should be around three weeks from the date the VIN # was issued. Your car should be delivered in about six weeks.

If you have already placed an order and have heard nothing in over a week your Dealer may not have an allocation and you will never get your car. You need to immediately go to the General Manager of the Dealership and confirm they have a current allocation and determine why no VIN # has been received.

If the Dealer has no allocation cancel the order and find a Dealer that does or buy one from a Dealer that already has one in stock.

I ordered a car back on 5/29 but the Dealer did not have an allocation but did not tell me for 5 weeks. I finally got an allocation by going to Ford Corporate and received a personal allocation for my car on 7/16. My VIN # was issued that same day. The build date is 8/3, delivery will be 8/23.

Guys, there simply is no mystery or difficulty in ordering a 2010 if....... you order it from a Dealer that has an allocation for your order. With an allocation the process goes very fast and the cars get to you in less than 8 weeks. You will also receive regular updates and progress reports. Those of you that are having problems do not have an allocation for your order.

I hope this helps clear the air for some of you that are currently in limbo.

Good Luck,

Steve

Guys,

I wanted to start this thread to help some of the new guys avoid the heartbreak and stress Burning Blue and I went thru.

If you intend to place an order for a 2010 or have already you absolutely must verify beyond any doubt that the Dealer has an allocation for your order.Do not take the word of the salesman, get it in writing from the Sales Manager or General Manager.

There are virtually no allocations left out there among the Dealers so there is a very good chance you can get burned like I did with an order that is going no where. Some Dealers are taking orders expecting that they will receive allocations at a later date. Do not let them play this game with you.

Once your order is placed you should have a VIN # in less than a week. Your build date should be around three weeks from the date the VIN # was issued. Your car should be delivered in about six weeks.

If you have already placed an order and have heard nothing in over a week your Dealer may not have an allocation and you will never get your car. You need to immediately go to the General Manager of the Dealership and confirm they have a current allocation and determine why no VIN # has been received.

If the Dealer has no allocation cancel the order and find a Dealer that does or buy one from a Dealer that already has one in stock.

I ordered a car back on 5/29 but the Dealer did not have an allocation but did not tell me for 5 weeks. I finally got an allocation by going to Ford Corporate and received a personal allocation for my car on 7/16. My VIN # was issued that same day. The build date is 8/3, delivery will be 8/23.

Guys, there simply is no mystery or difficulty in ordering a 2010 if....... you order it from a Dealer that has an allocation for your order. With an allocation the process goes very fast and the cars get to you in less than 8 weeks. You will also receive regular updates and progress reports. Those of you that are having problems do not have an allocation for your order.

I hope this helps clear the air for some of you that are currently in limbo.

Good Luck,

Steve

thanks. wonder if the dealer will try and screw me out of my $500 deposit now. and to vouch for that theres a guy in the waiting list thread that ordered on 7/6 from dealer with allocation and already has VIN and delivery date of 8/21

Very good advice Steve. Based on my experience determining whether your dealer has an existing allocation or not is paramount before you place an order;

I was about to order from my local dealer. They were keen to take my order and deposit but were worryingly nebulous and vague when I queried them on actual order processing and potential delivery date etc. With hindsight I'm soooooooo glad that I didn't order from this dealer, as I can't help but think that my order would have disappeared into the abyss as so many others have on this forum.

Through hook or crook I found a dealer with an existing allocation that was able to order exactly what I wanted. One thing to note here is that it actually took two weeks to get my VIN, but since then everything has been moving along at a good pace.

One extra point is don't be afraid to ask the dealer about the time that they estimate it will take to have the order submitted to the factory, and their ability to influence this being done quickly. My observation is that some dealers have more ‘pull’ in such things than others - mainly depending on their relationship with Ford corporate or their regional/zone sales manager. Without the dealer being able to pull the right strings to have your order prioritized, or if you get stuck with a dealer that is not bothered to put the effort in for you, even if said dealer has an allocation, I think that there is still a risk of your order taking the scenic route!

Happy hunting!

My only advice is NOT to order from a dealer but buy one that's inbound or in stock. Just do your research and call around, call everybody. I talked to dealers that wanted me to come in and "talk", I had dealers telling me to come in and leave a deposit to order, I had dealers asking $20K-$30K adm, I had dealers never returned my calls, I had dealers asking if I want an automatic or manual :headscratch: . So what I did was just sent out a mass email to all the dealers, "I am in the market for a 2010 GT500, HID and Electronic Package. I would like to acquire the GT500 within 24-48hrs and I will not negotiate anything above MSRP, if you can't meet my standard, please don't waste my time and I won't waste yours, if your standard is to exceed customer expectations then this is your chance to make me a life time customer." By next morning I got two replies, one from Maggie @ Harold Ford. She simply asked me what color combo and within an hour she said there was several at a holding yard and she can get me the car within 24hrs if I come in and leave a deposite ($500), if I don't see the car tomorrow then I get my deposite back. Sure enough, they went to pick up the car overnight and by next morning the Kona/White (MSRP+free car cover) arrived at the dealer. Don't order from a dealer, there's plenty GT500 sitting around that a dealer can track down the exact color you are looking for.

Unless you go some special route, once the order is placed, a vin isnt available until ford pulls the order for scheduling. It takes more then a week etc. AS for the zone mgr being able to pull rank, it can happen but not like the old days. In the case of Harold Ford, they didnt just get the car at a holding yard, they got it from another dlr either via dlr trade etc. There is none of these sitting in a holding yard that isnt assigned to a dlr. Most of us are smart enough to know when a sleezy sales mgr is telling us the bs story. You are better to send mass emails etc to dlrs to ee who has one in stock. Keep in mind that the traditional 2010 model year starts next month so there should be cars becoming available.

Unless you go some special route, once the order is placed, a vin isnt available until ford pulls the order for scheduling. It takes more then a week etc. AS for the zone mgr being able to pull rank, it can happen but not like the old days. In the case of Harold Ford, they didnt just get the car at a holding yard, they got it from another dlr either via dlr trade etc. There is none of these sitting in a holding yard that isnt assigned to a dlr. Most of us are smart enough to know when a sleezy sales mgr is telling us the bs story. You are better to send mass emails etc to dlrs to ee who has one in stock. Keep in mind that the traditional 2010 model year starts next month so there should be cars becoming available.

No doubt buying a car that is already built is the way to go.

The orders are pulled every week now, mine was pulled and VIN assigned on a Thursday. The plant is really cranking and all of us that ordered in July got our VIN # in less than a week most in only a few days. There is a list in Burning Blues Waiting thread that shows how fast the process is moving now that the vacation shut down and airbag hold is history.

Only time will tell if Ford will begin to issue substantial numbers of new allocations from September on. There are a lot of 2010s sitting out there already. No shortage of cars to buy.

Steve

My only advice is NOT to order from a dealer but buy one that's inbound or in stock. Just do your research and call around, call everybody. I talked to dealers that wanted me to come in and "talk", I had dealers telling me to come in and leave a deposit to order, I had dealers asking $20K-$30K adm, I had dealers never returned my calls, I had dealers asking if I want an automatic or manual :headscratch: . So what I did was just sent out a mass email to all the dealers, "I am in the market for a 2010 GT500, HID and Electronic Package. I would like to acquire the GT500 within 24-48hrs and I will not negotiate anything above MSRP, if you can't meet my standard, please don't waste my time and I won't waste yours, if your standard is to exceed customer expectations then this is your chance to make me a life time customer." By next morning I got two replies, one from Maggie @ Harold Ford. She simply asked me what color combo and within an hour she said there was several at a holding yard and she can get me the car within 24hrs if I come in and leave a deposite ($500), if I don't see the car tomorrow then I get my deposite back. Sure enough, they went to pick up the car overnight and by next morning the Kona/White (MSRP+free car cover) arrived at the dealer. Don't order from a dealer, there's plenty GT500 sitting around that a dealer can track down the exact color you are looking for.

Is the data base for the mass e mail of the dealers something you can help with or we have to go and look for them on the websites?

True or not I am not too sure, but Maggie mentioned that if they can't get it at a holding yard then they will do a trade with a dealer. When I bought my M5, the demand was higher then the GT500, the BMW salesman actually drove me to their holding yard to look at the car, just imagine a giant parking lot filled with hundreds of cars.

Is the data base for the mass e mail of the dealers something you can help with or we have to go and look for them on the websites?

You can either go to the Ford website and click on dealer locater, enter your mile radius and all the dealers within the radius will pop up. You can get a local newspaper (usually Sunday is good) and look for all the Ford dealerships, or you can just google it. In my case I just googled the "FORD" and city name, I also googled other cities. Then I just copy and paste my email to all the dealerships, there's no sense in wasting your time to visit them unless they are serious.

If I was in the market for a GT500 right now I would be looking at dealer stock for the car I wanted. If I coldn't find it on a dealers lot I would place an order with one of the Team Shelby members here that are connected with a dealership.

Steve

Excellent advice Steve.

For sure War Eagle...great advice in your first post.

By all means the question you need to ask first is "Do you have an open allocation?" I would not even mess around with the salesman - go straight to the General Manager or owner before you start negotiating. Get them to tell you flat out in no uncertain terms..."yes, we have an open allocation available now"...if they dance around it...chances are that they don't have it.

You can still place the order if you want if they don't have an allocation...but there's no guarantee that you will EVER see your car.

I wish I would have known to ask this simple, direct, tell all question nearly two months ago. Would have made things easier on me.

Archived