TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Most desired current Shelby 40 years from now?

sireal66

I am sure this has come up on this forum before, so at the risk of starting a war all over again… I am asking opinions on which one of the CURRENT Shelby offerings will be the most desired Shelby 40 years from now?

I took my GT H vert to a cruise in last night and there were a good amount of new 2007-2009 Shelby GT’s, GT 500’s and a Super Snake, both coupes and convertibles were present as well as an outstanding GT 350 R and GT 500 from the 1960’s. A lot of people were congratulating me on a “great investment” and I got to wondering after admiring the original Shelby’s from the ‘60s which one of the current Shelby’s would be the most sought after Shelby?

I know that today if I had the money I would own a GT 350 R.

40 years from now, of the current offerings, I think I would want to own a GT 500 vert.

I am not asking price (but opinions on the most valuable one are also appreciated), just which one of the current Shelby's would the next generation have to have?

40 years from now I won't care!

I buy a car to enjoy today...I have better places to invest my money.

I THINK YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR KIDS SINCE THEY WILL BE THE ONE'S TO PURCHASE THESE CARS 40YEARS FROM NOW.

SO I DID-

MY SON IS 13 YR OLD- AND HE SAID- THE TERLINGUA, AND SUPER SNAKES

BUT THE MOST EXPENSIVE WILL BE THE JERRY TITUS OR PRUDOME CARS IF THEY DONT MAKE THE GR-1 OR SOMETHING WE DONT KNOW ABOUT YET.

MAYBE I SHOULD LISTEN

“I am not asking price (but opinions on the most valuable one are also appreciated), just which one of the current Shelby's would the next generation have to have?”

Revenge- “Unless someone is 15 years old now I see no reason to even care what car will be worth more in 40 years”.-

40 years from now when I am 101 years old I would only pray to be able to even tell one car from another, much less care which car I wanted to own.

The gist of the thread was which current Shelby would that generation-40 years from now- what to own, not what would be the most valuable. I doubt very few if any one on this forum (or anywhere) bought a new or used Shelby 40 years ago because it would be a good investment today. I bet even fewer of them still own their Shelby. Heck they couldn’t give the Hertz cars away 40 years ago!

They bought their Shelby’s because of the success and respect the name Shelby commanded on the racetracks. They were sought after due in great part to the popularity of Trans Am series here in the states and their (Cobra, Daytona, GT 40) success on the road courses in Europe and because they were like no other automobile being offered at the time (and arguably since).

Gee sounds like the decision process most of went through when we bought our current generation of Shelby’s….

I consider myself a care taker of my Shelby, when and if the day ever comes when I must part with my Shelby I can assure everyone it will leave in equal if not better condition then new. I think all owners of these cars have an obligation to preserve these cars, not for investment potential but because of historical importance.

I am not advocating putting them away in some barn, so in 40 years someone can claim they have a “barn find “.

Drive them because this is why they were created, like the man said…” drive it like you stole it”.

JeffIsHereToo “I buy a car to enjoy today...I have better places to invest my money.”

….Care to share any of them for us not so astute in investing?

Rich

I am currently 26 years old, my GT500 has been in my garage 2 years and 9 months... she just broke 2000 miles and is looking as good as the day I saw her for the first time at the dealership and I will make sure that I do everything in my power to make sure that I still have her looking as good when I turn 66. I care about the car, I baby her and call me crazy but any add ons or parts that I buy for her have been from SPP and I have the originals. I may be a strange breed here but I don't care what other people in my age bracket do... As far as the what is going to be worth more it depends what the buyers in 40 years will like, black is always a popular color but who knows tungsten or grabbers may be the most popular and like it was mentioned before besides low production numbers high HP numbers may be the desirable or track-toys may be the most desirable. It really is a big coin toss but to my it will be a Vista blue GT500!!!

40 years from now I won't care!

I buy a car to enjoy today...I have better places to invest my money.

Jeff hit the nail on the head. Too many Shelby's of all kinds sitting in garages because the owners dont want to put the miles on them.

I am currently 26 years old, my GT500 has been in my garage 2 years and 9 months... she just broke 2000 miles and is looking as good as the day I saw her for the first time at the dealership and I will make sure that I do everything in my power to make sure that I still have her looking as good when I turn 66.

Good post.

Just....take her out and drive that thing! :drool:

I don't think anyone here, or for that matter, very many mustang owners, will let their 'babies' go.....

always keepin em clean and in top condition....

off topic...

JeffIsHereToo “I buy a car to enjoy today...I have better places to invest my money.”

….Care to share any of them for us not so astute in investing?

well...I'd like to know too..haha

but gold was around 400.00 an ounce in 1991 and now it's like 900.00..so it's a bit more than doubled in 18 years...

wonder if it'll keep at that rate

hmmm..a gold plated SGT.???

Good post.

Just....take her out and drive that thing! :drool:

Believe me if I had more free time she would have more miles on her but my schedule between work and school doesn't leave much free time and then its a toss between the motorcycle, the mystic cobra or the Shelby (I think we all know which one is the favorite) but when I take her out I DRIVE HER!!!!!

If you are talking new generation: Top 3

1. 2006 GT-H 5 spd.

2. 2007 GT-H 5 spd.

3. 2008 GT-C Automatic

I have to think the GT-H cars are going to be very good cars to keep their values and to collect. The GT-C cars that were SC'd by SAI are going to be rare and valuable as well. However, the standard Shelby GT........meh not so much. They didn't have enough HP. Hahahahahahah. I really do have a good sense of humor today~~

EDITED:

For my money it will be the manual Hertz cars. Rarest of the late model cars by far. Perhaps also the Don Prudhomme Version for high HP and rare.

I think the Hertz cars would be the most likely. Probably won't take 40 years either. Someone with all three -- 66, 06 coupe, 07 'vert will have a real collection.

I agree with this also...a CSX Cobra 4000 (427 side oiler) series in aluminum will be the rarest of all the current Shelby models built and/or modified in Las Vegas. Of course, you'll need to spend a minimum of about $150K to get into this ride. GOT CASH???

From the intro this was directed at the Mustang based vehicles, but the Cobra will always be at the top. They are classics, just like the Mercedes 300SL Gullwings and will always be desirable.

Now that SAI has the final word, the rarest and most desirable will be the Shelby badged CSX9000 series Daytona Coupes. The aluminum coupes will be the rarest and most desirable. And that's starting this year, let alone 40 years from now. And air conditioning is cheating.

Archived