TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Most desired current Shelby 40 years from now?

sireal66

I am sure this has come up on this forum before, so at the risk of starting a war all over again… I am asking opinions on which one of the CURRENT Shelby offerings will be the most desired Shelby 40 years from now?

I took my GT H vert to a cruise in last night and there were a good amount of new 2007-2009 Shelby GT’s, GT 500’s and a Super Snake, both coupes and convertibles were present as well as an outstanding GT 350 R and GT 500 from the 1960’s. A lot of people were congratulating me on a “great investment” and I got to wondering after admiring the original Shelby’s from the ‘60s which one of the current Shelby’s would be the most sought after Shelby?

I know that today if I had the money I would own a GT 350 R.

40 years from now, of the current offerings, I think I would want to own a GT 500 vert.

I am not asking price (but opinions on the most valuable one are also appreciated), just which one of the current Shelby's would the next generation have to have?

Yes the big HP cars ALWAYS draw the most coin. As they are usually the rarest of the rare and alwasy draw the most at the auctions.

So +1 on big HP cars.

i i agree, i would say the shelby gt/sr with the kenne bell option, the stock sgts will of course be worth something due to low numbers but not anywhere near to the extent of the high horsepower option shelbys

Knowing what I know of rare and exotic muscle cars etc.. I do agree High HP cars are sought after from the old era, but in these times I would say the best investment would be the Terlingua Shelby hands down.. The Terlingua as you know offers the best performance in an all around package, so it may not have the HP but it will out perform a Super snake at Watkins Glen or in the switchbacks of Austria.. Remember, the old days were the days of straight line brute HP, now adays its the agile performer that will be the mostly sought after..

in retro spect, I wish i had known of the Terlingua before I picked up the SGT, but then I own a Shelby none the less! BTW, my son has his eye on a Terlingua and vows to grind my SGT into the track,,, Kids!

GNB

I won't be here 40 years from now.......I just hope that there isn't a army of weaponized prius's driven by radical environmentalists patrollin around shooting at my grandson who will (hopefully) be driving my SGT....supercharged by then I hope...but the way the economy is going right now...I dunno...

:)

I would say the 700hp version Super Snakes, the Shelby GT variations including the H and of course the Terlingua. But that's also assuming again that there is a big hiatus and Shelby Automotive isn't still making cars 40 years from now or possibly even 10 years from now. Part of the draw for the original Shelby's is that they were produced for only a few years when cars were at the top of their game before the oil crisis of the 70's brought all those cars to a screeching halt. We may be seeing the same thing now with everyone trying to be 'green', but somehow I doubt there will be a repeat of what we saw in the 70's. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight right now for the Shelby Mustang and they have already completely surpassed the numbers that were made from 65-69 so it's really hard to gauge what the future will bring.

Knowing what I know of rare and exotic muscle cars etc.. I do agree High HP cars are sought after from the old era, but in these times I would say the best investment would be the Terlingua Shelby hands down.. The Terlingua as you know offers the best performance in an all around package, so it may not have the HP but it will out perform a Super snake at Watkins Glen or in the switchbacks of Austria.. Remember, the old days were the days of straight line brute HP, now adays its the agile performer that will be the mostly sought after..

in retro spect, I wish i had known of the Terlingua before I picked up the SGT, but then I own a Shelby none the less! BTW, my son has his eye on a Terlingua and vows to grind my SGT into the track,,, Kids!

GNB

i would be under the same opionion.

Besides the big HP and low production cars perhaps every Shelby will be the most desired if we don't come up with an energy plan for this country.

"Grandpa tell me again that story of when you used to drive cars that ran on that funny named stuff........ you know grandpa that stuff you called gasoline that you said came out of a hose from some building called a gas station"

Steve

I'd say Super Snakes....... They'll be the biggest dollar car with the highest HP and the lowest production numbers.

40 years is a long time. I'd go with being 80, lucky if I can still drive. Won't know that i'd want to drive a 5-speed, 4:10 geared, supercharged Shelby anymore. Hopefully my son/grandkids would be enjoying, and I having all the great stories about it. I couldn't handle 40 years of modding! This first year was enough to KILL me! :)

In forty years from now ? I think you are right about the high horsepower thing. I will be one hundred years old and I plane to make the news pushing little electric boxes out of the left lane with my 07 SGT !!!

:rant2::shift:

My opinion?

1. Manual GTH cars, especally the 4 or so 2007 models that were built.

2. Any (late model) car that Carroll, Amy, or Cleo owns.

3. Super Snaked KR's. VERY few of those exsist (if any?).

4. 605 H.P. Super Snakes. There are far fewer 605 Snake's than 725 cars, and the majority of the 605 cars are verts on top of that.

5. 725 H.P. Snakes.

6. Any MY SGT S/C that has been moded by SAI, especally those few that have Paxton's on them. Even rarer? Any SAI SGT S/C with a Paxton and an automatic transmission.

7. 40th anniversary cars, especally those who went for the additional H.P. option.

8. 2008/2009 KR's. Sure the're still sitting chock-a-block in the lots, but they only made them for two years and in low numbers compared to standard GT500's. The 700 or so 2009 Euro spec KR's? Even better.

9. 2011 GT500's. Even though the 2010's are being produced in low numbers compared to the other model years, the 2011 500 will be the sum total and pinnicle of everything that FoMoCo has learned about the 500's since they came out in 2007, plus they will have aluminum blocks.

10. 2007/2008 Automatic SGT's.

11. 2007/2008 SGT's (manuals).

12. 2007/2008 GTH cars.

Again, this is just my opinion, your 's may vary radically.

Note: The Barrett-Jackson cars fall somewhere in my list, but they are wild card cars that are hard to pin down as far as future desirability is concerned.

Forbes Magazine said the 07' SGT Vert was in the top ten 40 years from now i think.

but i think it will be the 2007 GT-H Manuals, then the Supersnake 605's then the Supersnake 725s. After that its a toss up between the KR's, GT-H's.

My 07 SGT is not going to be worth much, i bought it to mod it and drive it.

I think just being a Shelby they will all be worth $$.. In my opinion what will make some worth more than others will be HP and low production numbers, or a combination of the 2 things even better, KR's, SS, GT-H's and the fact that these were all built at Shelby Vegas too.. history, miles, condition also play a part in it of course too (generally speaking now I do think the 06 GT-H's will be worth more than 07 GT-H's.. simply as a 40th anniversary coupe, no such thing as an Hertz vert back then) Just my 2cents

EDIT: 4 manual 06 GT-H's were made & 17 manual 07 GT-H verts... 4 06 manuals?? WOW

I am surprised that hardly anyone recognises the Terlingua as a valid option here... It is probably the least produced of all..

Well, 40 years from now I am sure life on fossil fuel will be a different story... I think I need to start googling how to manufacture my own Still!!

big plus one on the Terlingua...hell, I believe that currently there's less than 25 of them...I sure hope I'm right, but 40 years from now, I'll be to old to know if I was right or wrong :hysterical:

I feel the CSX Cobras will be most valued. It's a true Shelby design, raw 60's power. The current S197 Shelbys (C6,C8,GTH,SGT,SCT/SC,SGT/SR,SGT-R,Terligua,GT500,SS,KR,427) are 99% Ford built with bolt on mods, not built like the 60's and 70's were. Just to many models with more to come. Enjoy them all while we can.

My opinion?

1. Manual GTH cars, especally the 4 or so 2007 models that were built.

2. Any (late model) car that Carroll, Amy, or Cleo owns.

3. Super Snaked KR's. VERY few of those exsist (if any?).

4. 605 H.P. Super Snakes. There are far fewer 605 Snake's than 725 cars, and the majority of the 605 cars are verts on top of that.

5. 725 H.P. Snakes.

6. Any MY SGT S/C that has been moded by SAI, especally those few that have Paxton's on them. Even rarer? Any SAI SGT S/C with a Paxton and an automatic transmission.

7. 40th anniversary cars, especally those who went for the additional H.P. option.

8. 2008/2009 KR's. Sure the're still sitting chock-a-block in the lots, but they only made them for two years and in low numbers compared to standard GT500's. The 700 or so 2009 Euro spec KR's? Even better.

9. 2011 GT500's. Even though the 2010's are being produced in low numbers compared to the other model years, the 2011 500 will be the sum total and pinnicle of everything that FoMoCo has learned about the 500's since they came out in 2007, plus they will have aluminum blocks.

10. 2007/2008 Automatic SGT's.

11. 2007/2008 SGT's (manuals).

12. 2007/2008 GTH cars.

Again, this is just my opinion, your 's may vary radically.

Note: The Barrett-Jackson cars fall somewhere in my list, but they are wild card cars that are hard to pin down as far as future desirability is concerned.

Enis,

A well thought out list. If you are ranking from top to bottom I'd have to agree with you for the most part. I think the SAI supercharged BJ SGT might rank a little higher up the list . Very few of those around.

Dave

I feel the CSX Cobras will be most valued. It's a true Shelby design, raw 60's power. The current S197 Shelbys (C6,C8,GTH,SGT,SCT/SC,SGT/SR,SGT-R,Terligua,GT500,SS,KR,427) are 99% Ford built with bolt on mods, not built like the 60's and 70's were. Just to many models with more to come. Enjoy them all while we can.

I agree. I think the SGT-R will be there too..

I agree with this also...a CSX Cobra 4000 (427 side oiler) series in aluminum will be the rarest of all the current Shelby models built and/or modified in Las Vegas. Of course, you'll need to spend a minimum of about $150K to get into this ride. GOT CASH???

Unless someone is 15 years old now I see no reason to even care what car will be worth more in 40 years.

Also if this forum follows the form of others i have followed over the years within 3 years most people posting now will stop. They probably won't have their current car anymore or its so dented and beaten up they know it definately not collectable....fact is most people are incapable of keeping their cars mint. Sure when its new they do it but after a few months they revert to form and treat their car like crap.

Unless someone is 15 years old now I see no reason to even care what car will be worth more in 40 years.

Also if this forum follows the form of others i have followed over the years within 3 years most people posting now will stop. They probably won't have their current car anymore or its so dented and beaten up they know it definately not collectable....fact is most people are incapable of keeping their cars mint. Sure when its new they do it but after a few months they revert to form and treat their car like crap.

I had my car two years and 3700 "smiles" later she is still treated very well. Last week I put her up on stands to clean the undercarrage (bottom of the car - this is the second time I have done this). She has only seen rain once and that was two undercarrage washes ago.

I baby the heck out of this car...I have had two other collectables that have had the same treatment. I'm sure there are a few other out there that do the same.

I must agree with you, many will abuse the car after awhile...but not all of us.

I am byass..I say the 08 GO SGT and BJ SGT. Yes Horespower is king, but low numbers productions, trump! Terlingua's are also low numbers...so who knows.

I purchased mine because its a Shelby and not an investment..that is reserved for the 60's models.

QUESTION: What about the CS6 & CS8?

Also if this forum follows the form of others i have followed over the years within 3 years most people posting now will stop. They probably won't have their current car anymore or its so dented and beaten up they know it definately not collectable....fact is most people are incapable of keeping their cars mint. Sure when its new they do it but after a few months they revert to form and treat their car like crap

Well this must be the way the younger generation feels, that is never having to pay for anything, entitled to all.... I was raised to appreciate what I paid my hard earned money for.. I have had plenty of cars and have taken care of everyone. I have a Dodge RAM2500 Cumins, 2001 with only 54k on the odometer just got broken in, my wife has a 1990 Honda accord, 160k, runs liike a top no rust and looks like new..

Go ahead and beat your car, its yours, others tend to appreciate an investment. Yes even a friggin Yugo is an investment, its the money you put down in hopes of a return, be it just transportation (yugo) or an extreme machine SGT.. My guess is, that if someone buys one of these cars and ends up treating it as you say, well I can figure right now what type of person they are..

GNB

Archived