TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP/Whipple Tune Issue

The Whipple is installed but the tuner DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SOFTWARE. So we called Ford and they are sending out a tuner by the morning.

Anyone else have issues with the tuner or am I breaking ground here? I had a custom tune in the car which I removed and put the Ford Racing tune back in the car, that the car came with and drove the car for over 100 miles before doing the install. Otherwise the install went really easily. A rack, air tools, and good instructions helped. I would definately recommend the kit on the install alone. Ive done Procharger and vortech installs and there was alot of modifying with those kits. Not this one. Except for the tune issue Thumbs up to Ford racing.

First off the post should state FRPP not Whipple tune because Whipple does not supply the tune and others may get confused. My install went perfect. There is probably something with the plug and play tuner or possible the custom tune you had that is now gone if it really is all the way gone or creates an error because some computer info is still there. I have never heard of any tune issue with the FRPP/Whipple set up. :jackinbox:

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I assume you put the memory card in the ProCal tuner and it is in the correct way? The label on the memory card faces up and it clicks when it is locked in place. If all that is OK, try removing the card and reinserting it. It may not be seated properly. It is possible you have a bad tuner or memory card. I had no problems with mine.

The card is installed properly and they are sending out a new unit thinking the original is bad. The old tune was removed properly. We will see what happens.

Thank you for your help.

The card is installed properly and they are sending out a new unit thinking ithe original is bad. So we will see what happens. The old tune was removed properly. I know this because the stock tune was not much of a tune compared to the MRT tune I had in it.

Thank you for your help.

hope you get it corrected soon. Know it must be aggravating to be so close, yet so far.....Just keep thinking about how much fun it will be once it's right....Craig

Its not bothering me one bit. I deal with old classics and have been around modified cars long enough to know that stuff happens. We will figure it out. We are also working on a fuel line change for the rubber hose whipple provides as a crossover on the supercharger itself. We even made some wiring changes for the MAF and Throttle body motor. More of a factory look under the hood.

I have a quick question................

You said you backed out the tune and reloaded the Ford Racing tune. Did that mean you reinstalled the Shelby tune or the stock GT tune? If you reinstalled the Shelby tune, that is your problem.

If you haven't done this, this could lead to your issues. You would have to back out the tune and reinstall a "stock" Ford Mustang GT tune. Once it was turned back to stock (not a stock Shelby GT tune) and you load in the FRPP tune for the Whipple, you should not have any tuner issues.

If you did take it back to the "stock" Shelby GT tune, it will not load properly and it will not work.

But, if you did take it back to a "stock" Ford GT tune, then it is possible that the tune you got may be bad and will have to wait for the new tuner to come in.

Keep us posted. This is an interesting thread that could help us all in the future :)

Thanks,

Bud

Hi Bud,

The Tune that came from Shelby (ford racing tune thats loaded with the CAI) is in the car now. I made sure the car was back to original before the SC install. You would think you could load a Ford tune into a Ford tuner but we will see later today what happens. I guess worst case Ill have to have my Ford dealership install a stock Mustang GT tune for the FRPP tuner to recognize the software. Thank you for the information and helping out. :salute:

Hi Bud,

The Tune that came from Shelby (ford racing tune thats loaded with the CAI) is in the car now. I made sure the car was back to original before the SC install. You would think you could load a Ford tune into a Ford tuner but we will see later today what happens. I guess worst case Ill have to have my Ford dealership install a stock Mustang GT tune for the FRPP tuner to recognize the software. Thank you for the information and helping out. :salute:

I called Ford Racing and told them I was considering a FRPP SC and specifically asked them if they could handle the fact that I have a Shelby GT tune in the car. The guy said that's a good question and went away to get an answer. The result was he talked to the programmer and said they could handle that. But it did sound like a special case for them.

This is why I'm letting you guys blaze the trail.

Hi Bud,

What you will need to do is have the dealer back out the Shelby tune and reinstall the stock Ford GT tune. Once they do that, then have them install the FRPP Whipple tune and you should not have any problems. Also, when taking out the tune and reinstalling it, make sure that the battery is showing at least 12 volts. If not, then the tunes may not uninstall and reinstall properly. If the battery is a bit low, have them hook it up to a battery charger so it could have at least 12v.

Hopefully this will work for you.

Thanks,

Bud

This just in. The new program works, shes running and has been driven about five miles. I will drive her more after work. So the conclusion is this, the original tune was for a stock mustang and not a Shelby. Contact FRPP when you get the voucher in the SC kit and let them know you have a Shelby and you wont run into the issue I did. Since we did the install ourselves and dont have access to Fords files and dont install SC's for a living we didnt know this. So we learned something from the install. Hopefully this helps someone who is going to install the Whipple in the future. Bud thanks again for chiming in here. You are a asset to the Shelby community.

I just went through similar issue with my Paxton installation. BBR couldn't get the tune right and the car would not run.

To make a long story short, the guy writing the tune used the ID on the PCM sticker as the baseline. Well, as we all know Shelby added a new tune with a different strategy but the sticker was not updated.

CONGRATULATIONS !

I drove my new SC car yesterday for the first time :happy feet:

See post 204: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...0&start=200

This just in. The new program works, shes running and has been driven about five miles. I will drive her more after work. So the conclusion is this, the original tune was for a stock mustang and not a Shelby. Contact FRPP when you get the voucher in the SC kit and let them know you have a Shelby and you wont run into the issue I did. Since we did the install ourselves and dont have access to Fords files and dont install SC's for a living we didnt know this. So we learned something from the install. Hopefully this helps someone who is going to install the Whipple in the future. Bud thanks again for chiming in here. You are a asset to the Shelby community.

That sounds GREAT!!!!!! I am glad she is working for you.

Oh, by the way, why are you still on here and NOT out there driving your "new" car!!!! LOL

Bud

Bud, Somebody has to keep the doors open. LOL I love my Shelby but I love my business too. Ive got a Aston Martin DB5 just like the one in James Bond Goldfinger Im looking at right now. I see so many different makes and models I lose track of time. Anyone who has been in my shop knows what I mean.

Hi Bud,

Bud is right on the money ! I had to have mine towed to the local dealer (UGHHHH) and they had to install the stock Mustang GT tune.

My guy fortunately knew this in advance and we had absolutely no issues

Take Care

Andrew

I just went through similar issue with my Paxton installation. BBR couldn't get the tune right and the car would not run.

To make a long story short, the guy writing the tune used the ID on the PCM sticker as the baseline. Well, as we all know Shelby added a new tune with a different strategy but the sticker was not updated.

The 06 Hertz cars had a cool custom tune sticker...these were my crude attempts at something similar.

Custom_Tune_Sticker.pdf

SC_Tune_Sticker.pdf

Custom_Tune_Sticker.pdf

SC_Tune_Sticker.pdf

Well 100 mile drive later and Im very happy. The car is much quicker and the driveability is good. Eventually it will get a custom tune and other goodies but for now its enough. Once I get time she goes down the 1320 a few tmes. I even saw Jeffsheretoo tonight while filling her up. Overall I would recommend the kit especially for the automatic owners.

Archived