TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pup completes his interior tweaks for 2006

pitpup

Many of you may have already heard about mrmikes.com ... great stuff!

Well, my order for welt came in yesterday and I installed it today. The hardest part was coming up with the (IMHO) perfrect shade of Grabber Orange using the acryllic paints I'd purchased last month in anticipation of this project. While they had 'pumpkin' as a premixed color, it was TOO orange. So I started with yellow and kept adding red until I got what I felt was the right shade.

The key is to mix the paint, then apply it to the welt and accelerate the drying process with a hair dryer. You know how paint can fool you. It looks great when wet, but then when it dries, it's 55 shades off of what you need. So mix, apply, dry, compare. Repeat as necessary. I did this alot for the final batch. Earlier batches were used as a base coat.

While I originally planned to do three coats, I decided on two and kept the remainder for touch-ups if I need it. Here are two shots, taken tonight just after the sun dipped out of sight.

Back_In_Black_014.jpg

Back_In_Black_015.jpg

You have to buy 60' from Mike. It takes 15' to do both front doors. Rear doors were not done. The wife liked it so much, I did all 4 of her doors on the Hyundai Tucson. She did not get the painted stuff, but rather the molded color which was redish orange (think Mustang Competition Orange, only more red). That kills the first 30'.

For the other 30' I had ordered a medium gray thinking if I did not like how the Grabber turned out, I'd have something to match the IUP. I have not dipped into that so if anyone wants 30' feet to play around with, I'm taking offers. If you want it for Grabber Orange, you gotta custom paint it anyhoo.

Hope you like it. Have a great week!

Well, my order for welt came in yesterday and I installed it today. The hardest part was coming up with the (IMHO) perfrect shade of Grabber Orange using the acryllic paints I'd purchased last month in anticipation of this project. While they had 'pumpkin' as a premixed color, it was TOO orange. So I started with yellow and kept adding red until I got what I felt was the right shade.

The key is to mix the paint, then apply it to the welt and accelerate the drying process with a hair dryer. You know how paint can fool you. It looks great when wet, but then when it dries, it's 55 shades off of what you need. So mix, apply, dry, compare. Repeat as necessary. I did this alot for the final batch. Earlier batches were used as a base coat.

While I originally planned to do three coats, I decided on two and kept the remainder for touch-ups if I need it. Here are two shots, taken tonight just after the sun dipped out of sight.

Back_In_Black_014.jpg

Back_In_Black_015.jpg

You have to buy 60' from Mike. It takes 15' to do both front doors. Rear doors were not done. The wife liked it so much, I did all 4 of her doors on the Hyundai Tucson. She did not get the painted stuff, but rather the molded color which was redish orange (think Mustang Competition Orange, only more red). That kills the first 30'.

For the other 30' I had ordered a medium gray thinking if I did not like how the Grabber turned out, I'd have something to match the IUP. I have not dipped into that so if anyone wants 30' feet to play around with, I'm taking offers. If you want it for Grabber Orange, you gotta custom paint it anyhoo.

That looks very nice ,sure makes it stand out , thats the way ford should have done it ....very nice look.

Woo...now That's making a statement!

I like how you take styling risks. Good form.

And I like how it's very understated - just a sliver of color (does that sound Gay? :hysterical2: )

Love to see it up close.

Rock on, Pup, rock on.

(wouldn't work for me with black...)

Back_In_Black_014.jpg

Back_In_Black_015.jpg

Wow, that looks hot!!! Now all you need is some orange stitching in the seats!!! :happy feet:

Woo...now That's making a statement!

I like how you take styling risks. Good form.

And I like how it's very understated - just a sliver of color (does that sound Gay? :hysterical2: )

Love to see it up close.

Rock on, Pup, rock on.

(wouldn't work for me with black...)

Make it the color of your Rufstripe. :happy feet:

Looks good . Not to rain on your parade, but acrylic paint flexes at a different rate than the vinyl. Meaning that the color may eventually peel or flake off, do you know if any flex agent is used in the mix?

I used no flex agents for this project, but if it helps, I flexed on a Hemi Charger on the way home tonight! :hysterical:

You are correct. It very well could flake. So I'll keep an eye on it and adjust accordingly. I did order 30 feet of his #10 gray thinking if the grabber orange custom solution did not work out, I could run the light gray and it would compliment the IUP.

I painted the sample he sent me a month ago and while this is not long enough for a true acid test, it seemed to hold up pretty well. The fact that it is stationary gives me HOPE that it will work out in the long run. Most of you folks will be using a stock (molded) color that does not require painting. So for you this mod is a no brainer.

I will update either way regarding flaking... it may take 6-8 months to see it, but I'll let you guys know either way. Oh, and this mod adds about 3 rwhp if installed correctly. :baby:

I added something called "sem-flex" to the paint when I repainted the dash in my '58 Olds. It was VERY durable and e-l-a-s-t-i-c. Good stuff. If your trim flakes off (which I doubt, since it's not prone to flexing), try using this stuff.

I like the way your doors look, Pup. I opted for the "silver tinsel" from Mr. Mikes. It's got a smaller bead and seems a lot more flexible, but yours fits tighter. I also have 20' of the orange and 20' of the silver gray (which is basically just plain gray). The silver tinsel is unique in that it's a clear material with a wire braid wrapped around cotton wadding running through it. I thought it looked kind of "old school."

Here's mine:

IMG_5770.jpg

How is this stuff attached? By flexing I meant mainly hot and cold flex.

The piping has a flat part that is inserted into the groove:

wsilvergray.jpg

As for the hot and cold flex, I looked for acryllic paints that were recommended for leather thinking that material took, would shrink and grow with the change in weather. I think I'll be OK...

I opted for the "silver tinsel" from Mr. Mikes. It's got a smaller bead and seems a lot more flexible, but yours fits tighter.

Me likey. These doors need something. Nice choice. :happy feet:

The piping has a flat part that is inserted into the groove:

bad-ass. So are you saying it basically just presses in and voila? How long did it take to do the physical install?

My car is red with tan interior, so I'm not sure there's a color that would work for me - then again, I'm not the most creative or daring person around - any suggestions? (pink is definitely OFF the table)

bad-ass. So are you saying it basically just presses in and voila? How long did it take to do the physical install?

My car is red with tan interior, so I'm not sure there's a color that would work for me - then again, I'm not the most creative or daring person around - any suggestions? (pink is definitely OFF the table)

Held in place by 'friction', each door takes no more than 5 minutes to do. The trick for me was to cut of 1/16th of an inch of the flat part to ensure the piping was flush with the door. Otherwise, it would stick out no matter how hard I pushed.

The tan interior gives you a splash of tan on the doors, no? So it would not be as dramatic as black on black. STILL, perhaps a silver or gray (think something to compliment the IUP) would make it stand out more???

Rat, I think you could get away with using the silver tinsel. It would match the silver pieces in your interior.

Also, the welting is slightly shallower than all of the other colors, and the flat piece is a little thinner, so it slides into the gap easier. It does "swim" around if you push on it, but it has stayed in place on my car for weeks without any problem. It's stayed put.

You can do both doors with 15' and it only takes about twenty minutes to do both doors. It's the simplest mod. However, it will not work on non-IUP cars; you need to have the inserts in the door panels to provide the "bite" for the welting. You can glue it on non-IUP doors, but I wouldn't want too! For the same reason, you cannot add the welting to the armrest area on the back seats. It doesn't have any inserts.

Another shot:

IMG_5687.jpg

Hey, Pup - your car is on his website!

I just ordered some tinsel.

Cool guy.

Yeah, I'm thinking the silver tinsel is the way to go for the IUP... Good call by Chris. I'm still diggin' the Grabber Orange trim in da Stang. Changes the whole appearance, if you ask me. And the mod 'fits' (simple, not overstated, and compliments...)

Enjoy it!

I've been looking at other places the trim might work.

Stay tuned.

Check out some of MrMike's PT's - yikes. Sensory overload. :doh:

Edit: I just heard from Mike. Apparently, he's going to focus on the PT Cruisers and no more Mustangs. :rant:

Apparently, the PT crowd is his meat and potatoes. He makes money on those guys who want to .... make bigger interior styling "statements" than we do.

My welt is on it's way - but that's the last of it.

Bummer.

I've been looking at other places the trim might work.

Stay tuned.

Check out some of MrMike's PT's - yikes. Sensory overload. :doh:

Edit: I just heard from Mike. Apparently, he's going to focus on the PT Cruisers and no more Mustangs. :rant:

Apparently, the PT crowd is his meat and potatoes. He makes money on those guys who want to .... make bigger interior styling "statements" than we do.

Bummer.

Let us know how it goes. :hyper:

Bummer.

Ruf. How much did he sell you? 20'? 40'? 60'? When I bought it, the minimum he would sell is 60'. So I got 30' of orange and 30' of gray and custom painted the orange. THIS IS JUST A GUESS, but I think some folks have been calling up and asking if they can buy like 15'-20' and this is an item he makes very little on when customers buy 60'. Perhaps it's not worth his time to cater to the 20' crowd???

I HAVE AN EMAIL IN TO MIKE AND WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD WHEN I HEAR FROM HIM. You know he's not going to get out of the welt business all together because of the PT Cruiser market. In any event, I WILL UPDATE when I know more.

Stan

I know someone that was able to purchase 40' rather than the usual 60' minimum order. I think she used her southern charm to accomplish this. Not that it matters now, but maybe putting your wife on the phone would help when ordering.

If it's true about this fella not wanting to cater to the Mustang crowd, I'm thoroughly disgusted. I hope he doesn't need us down the road when his PT business has dried up. He's liable to find himself out of business.

I know someone that was able to purchase 40' rather than the usual 60' minimum order. I think she used her southern charm to accomplish this. Not that it matters now, but maybe putting your wife on the phone would help when ordering.

If it's true about this fella not wanting to cater to the Mustang crowd, I'm thoroughly disgusted. I hope he doesn't need us down the road when his PT business has dried up. He's liable to find himself out of business.

:stop:

Sit tight. I'll have answers soon. In a dialog now with Mike regarding welt. He's taken down the links for ordering on a temp basis. Will post when I know more.

Well...isn't that special? My blood is starting to boil. :censored:

Well, I'd hate to see you bust a blood vessel, so I'll tell you this much. There is no money in welt. He does that as a loss leader (ie. as a courtesy to PT Cruiser types) to get you to purchase the custom leather interiors. He was never in business to simply sell welt.

And I'm 100% on his side... To pull someone off a leather interior to sell 60' of vinyl doesn't make good sense from a business standpoint. And if a lot of these internet orders trickle in, a true craftsman could spend an whole day stuffing welt into envelopes. Who's gonna fill their custom orders??

I've given Mike 3 options on how to handle the current delima. He's emailed me to let me know he's read them over. He'll get back to me when he's had a chance to think things thru.

Imagine if you had a CDL and could drive a 50' tractor-trailer but I gave you the job of checking the air pressure on 18 wheelers when they came thru the truck stop... YEAH! It's kinda like that.

So unbunch the panties and stick around this thread. When I know more, YOU'LL know more. cool_oj.gif

Archived