TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm proud of my mom!

thewheelman

My mother is 86 and I lay all the blame for any speeding ticket I ever got at her feet. She was the real lead foot in my family and loved big cars with big V8 engines. Her favorite was our 69 Marquis with the 429 4V high compression. Anyway, she and my step dad were shopping the other day in Paducah, Ky and as they were leaving dinner he said she grabbed his arm so hard he thought 1) she's falling or 2) she's about to pull me down. She said, "Look, look at that car!" She told me she saw this beautiful blue Mustang cruise by with silver stripes. Even at 86 her eyes were sharp enough to pick out the "Shelby" logos and told my step dad, "That's a Shelby Mustang!" She said it was very sharp and the young lady driving it looked like she enjoyed the attention--I don't know if she heard mom or not. Mom called me on the way home to tell me about it. She keeps telling me we need to take my GT 500 out on a country road and see what it'll do......I'm afraid she'll have a heart attack! Whatta mom!

My mother is 86 and I lay all the blame for any speeding ticket I ever got at her feet. She was the real lead foot in my family and loved big cars with big V8 engines. Her favorite was our 69 Marquis with the 429 4V high compression. Anyway, she and my step dad were shopping the other day in Paducah, Ky and as they were leaving dinner he said she grabbed his arm so hard he thought 1) she's falling or 2) she's about to pull me down. She said, "Look, look at that car!" She told me she saw this beautiful blue Mustang cruise by with silver stripes. Even at 86 her eyes were sharp enough to pick out the "Shelby" logos and told my step dad, "That's a Shelby Mustang!" She said it was very sharp and the young lady driving it looked like she enjoyed the attention--I don't know if she heard mom or not. Mom called me on the way home to tell me about it. She keeps telling me we need to take my GT 500 out on a country road and see what it'll do......I'm afraid she'll have a heart attack! Whatta mom!

That's pretty neat!! I'm always afraid that folks in that age group are judging me for have too much car in today's economy, ha-ha, which maybe some of them do but hey, what can you do? When I'm 86 I'm going to have my grandson rip around with me on some old country road. If I go, I go happy!!

Thanks for posting - that's awesome!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

That's awesome! My mom loves cars too and just bought herself a little Honda del sol because that is all she could afford. She put on new chrome wheels & tires and exhaust with a chrome tip. She loves her litte red car but she loves when I take her around in my Shelby even more.

We need a take your mom out for a drive day! :shift:

• 3 weeks later...

:happy feet: Great post. I was at a local "car show/cruise in" in Deland, Florida a few months ago and had a very interesting experience. An elderly gentleman in a wheel chair (being pushed by his daughter who was about 60) was looking at my car for at least 30 minutes. He began saying how he always liked Shelbys and that he used to have a 1968 KR. He asked if I would like to see his photo album. In about 5 minutes they came back with the album with many pictures of him sitting with Carroll Shelby and wife, pictures of his red with tan interior 1968 KR convertible, and even pictures of his car in Hawaii on moving day. Yes the Shelby was loaded with moving stuff, a sight to see. I asked him if he wanted to sit in the car, which he did. After I started the car, I asked if he wanted to take a ride. A strong YES. I was driving carefully and safely when he said "could you open it up" ? Of course I said yes, and hang on. Off came the traction control and away we went. The gentleman actually had tears in his eyes and couldn't thank me enough for this special moment. His daugther was equally grateful as she said her dad's health was really failing, and he had come to the car show hoping to relive a little of his younger days with his Shelby. This was probably the most rewarding experience I have ever had at a car show. :cry:

Archived