TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Camaro, Challenger, & Shelby Shootout

keepat

NewMuscleCars036.jpg

Some have ask me how the three compare, so after putting over 2500 miles on the Camaro, 4000 on the Challenger, & more than 5000 on the Shelby I think it’s time I do a write up on the three cars.

shelbyGT500015.jpg

2007 Ford Shelby GT 500

Motor- 5.4L 500 HP

Trans- 6 speed manual

Rear- 3.31

Weight- 3785lbs

Fuel Economy- city 15, highway 21

Gas Guzzler Tax- $1,300.00

Price with tax & tags out the door- $49,745.00

All option except Nav system

¼ Mile Time & Speed- 12.13 @ 120 mph

The Shelby all stock handles the poorest of the three cars. They should’ve used an IRS rear like the Challenger & Camaro did! The car has a lot of road noises and a few squeaks. Now if you hit the gas all you hear is the awesome sound of the supercharger and the road noises disappears.

The interior takes 2nd place in the retro contest. It has a great looking dash with two built in shift lights, one light for best mpg and the other is adjustable for red line shifting. The passenger seat is to low and should be electric, and the back seat is for kids at best. The clutch pedal is hard & feels like you are lifting the car up with the effort it takes to push it in.

race006.jpg

Hands down this is the fastest car of the three and the most fun to take drag racing. You definitely want to be in this car at any stop light street race. With the widest rear tires of the three (285/45-18 still to small) it will smoke them up at 45mph.

08Challenger004.jpg

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT/8

Motor- 6.1L 425 HP

Trans- 5 speed auto

Rear- IRS 3.06

Weight- 4150lbs

Fuel Economy- city 13, highway 18

Gas Guzzler Tax- $2,100.00

Price with tax & tags out the door- $45,009.00

All 3 option (Nav, upgraded tires, & sunroof)

¼ Mile Time & Speed- 13.18 @ 106 mph

To me the Challenger has the best Retro looks, front, back, and side it looks like a 1970 Challenger. It is the biggest of the 3 cars, 10” longer then the Shelby, and almost 8” longer then the Camaro. As a consequence of it size it drive and feels more like a B body then an E body. On the upside of its size it has a comfortable back seat and a large trunk.

As the largest & heaviest car one would think it would have the widest tires of the three. Not the case as it rolls on 255/45-20 and there not much room left in the wheel well for a wider tire. Brembo brakes on all 4 corners are an upgrade over the Shelby (front only) and they look cool!

08Challenger043-1.jpg

This car gets the most attention of the three, partly because of the Hemi orange color and the Retro looks. Its great on the highway as it is quiet, smooth, and relaxing to drive. The Challenger has the best fit, finish, and overall quality of the three. Is that a result of the German engineering on the LX platform? I’m not sure but I do think it’s a notch above the Camaro & Shelby.

NewMuscleCars027.jpg

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS

Motor- 6.2L 426 HP

Trans- 6 speed manual

Rear- IRS

Weight- 3900lbs

Fuel Economy- city 16, highway 24

Gas Guzzler Tax- NA

Price with tax & tags out the door- $39,848.00

All option except ground effects

Note Nav system not available

¼ Mile Time & Speed - TBA

Driving the Camaro feels balance, agile and it part of the road. The suspension will let you take most turns with confidences and the Brembo brakes will help you through all others. The car is quiet and smooth with no squeak or road noises. The front seats fit me well and their comfortable, but I’m not sure you could say the same about the back seat.

Camaro016-1.jpg

The interior is nicely done with the most retro looking of the three cars. The top of the door panels have a cool ambient lighting and the steering wheel feels great in your hands. The emergency brake is on the wrong side of the console and the shifter is clunky and long between gears. It also has a 1st to 2nd bypass to 4th if you drive & shift slow that sucks!

For the most part Chevy did a great job with the Camaro and I think it represents the best value of the three. If you break it down price per horse power it’s by far the best deal. The Challenger is $105.90 per HP, Shelby $99.49 per HP, and the Camaro $93.54 per HP

NewMuscleCars017.jpg

Best Motor- (hand built and signed) Shelby GT 500

Best Looking Motor- (no plastic engine cover) Shelby GT 500

Best Trans & clutch- Camaro SS/RS

Best Stereo- Challenger SRT/8

Best Paint- Challenger SRT/8

Best Stripes- Shelby GT 500

Best Trunk- Challenger SRT/8

Best Backseat- Challenger SRT/8

Best Tires & wheels- Shelby GT 500

Best Ride- Challenger SRT/8

Best ¼ Mile Time & speed- (12.13 @ 120 mph) Shelby GT 500

Best Handling Camaro SS/RS

Best Braking Camaro SS/RS

Best Retro Interior- Camaro SS/RS

Best Retro Exterior- Challenger SRT/8

Best Emblem Shelby GT 500

Best Overall Quality- Challenger SRT/8

Best Gas Mileages- (only one without gas guzzler tax) Camaro SS/RS

Best Gas Fill Cover- (love the chrome) Challenger SRT/8

Best Hood Challenger SRT/8

Best looking from the front Shelby GT 500

Best looking from the side Camaro SS/RS

Best looking from the back Challenger SRT/8

Best Sounding Stock Exhaust- Challenger SRT/8

Best Sounding motor- (supercharger) Shelby GT 500

Best Engineered Camaro SS/RS

Best Value Camaro SS/RS

NewMuscleCars026.jpg

It’s hard to pick a winner or my outright favorite of the three. If need a usable backseat the Challenger would be the best car. Or if you had a budget under 40K and need the best MPG the Camaro would be your best choice. But if all you are looking for is a ¼ mile racecar the Shelby is the one!

Pat

Very nice i dont have a camaro but i did have a 2007 Shelby and a 2006 SRT8 magnum, for comfort the magnum was out standing i did get a few 12.97 out of it stock in cold weather. But looks and prformance i love my GT500.

The GT500 is one of the few cars that can make the SRT8 feel slow. However, I love the SRT8 on road trips or for hauling people......

Yes, nice write-up! I enjoyed reading... Would definitely agree with you about the Challenger feeling like a better-built car, and it really handles well for a car of its size.

WOW great write up..... :happy feet: those are some FINE looking cars..... :drool: but how do you choose which one to drive everyday.... :headscratch: without beating yourself up over it.... :banghead:

:hysterical::hysterical:

great write-up.... thanks!

you are probably one of only a few people in the country that have real-life driving experience with all 3 vehicles. Also nice to hear an opinion from a real person with no agenda!

Your comments seem fair. We are all biased here for GT500 to come out on top of all categories!.... but realistically we all know that there are strengths to each car. I must say your Camaro color combo looks great. I am happy to know that GT500 is the quickest and is the one you pull out when its time to bust some balls at the track!

Ron

Pat, do a write up and surely you will get feedback!

It's a great thing the engineers at Ford had the forethought of installing the straight axle in our GT500s. Install a Watts link, issue over. There is no way the Camaro and Challenger IRS cars will ever compete with the Shelby in a straight line drag race just for the reason those cars will never reliably handle 800+ RWHP from a dead stop...and we all know that that who's fastest in the straight line is what it's all about....for many of us anyways:) Who cares about the $/HP. I just want to be able to stomp on any Camaro or Challenger that rolls up next to me.....and do that I will!

Anyways, Nice write up on the three cars. I'm glad to see the big 3 getting back performance pony cars. It's all in fun!

I have seen both the camaro and challenger @ cruise night. They share one common thing " they are BIG "and they look even bigger parked next to 60's muscle cars. From the top of the hood they are way to tall. Both cars look better in pictures than real life. The dash in the camaro will never grow on me it's just ugly. I will say the new dash in the Shelby makes the 07 look like a rental unit. Ford did a great job in that area. The Challenger dash looks like it belongs in a Honda Accord or Toyota. Well that's my 2 cents.

I had a 69 Z/28 and design wise it was perfect. Like a 57 Chevy it hit the nail on the head design wise. The new camaro missed the the mark by a wide margin.

The 05-2010 mustang hit the nail on the head . It just looks good from any angle period. It will be a classic design in the future.

I have seen both the camaro and challenger @ cruise night. They share one common thing " they are BIG "and they look even bigger parked next to 60's muscle cars. From the top of the hood they are way to tall. Both cars look better in pictures than real life.

Like them all, well, the Challenger and the GT500 a bit more than the Camaro for all the same reasons.

For sure the GT500 and Challenger are different cars in terms of size and power....... begs the question.... does this GT500 make my Challenger look big? :redcard:

Motive-Dodge-Challenger-Mustang-GT5.jpg

Like them all, well, the Challenger and the GT500 a bit more than the Camaro for all the same reasons.

For sure the GT500 and Challenger are different cars in terms of size and power....... begs the question.... does this GT500 make my Challenger look big? :redcard:

Motive-Dodge-Challenger-Mustang-GT5.jpg

YES

Some have ask me how the three compare, so after putting over 2500 miles on the Camaro, 4000 on the Challenger, & more than 5000 on the Shelby I think it’s time I do a write up on the three cars.

It’s hard to pick a winner or my outright favorite of the three. If need a usable backseat the Challenger would be the best car. Or if you had a budget under 40K and need the best MPG the Camaro would be your best choice. But if all you are looking for is a ¼ mile racecar the Shelby is the one!

Pat

Is there any way you might want to have the same layout comparison as the pictures and shoot some walk around video and post the video on YouTube that would be so cool and I am sure very popular.

Archived