TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinion wanted

What do you guys with GTH cars think: Do I :headscratch:

Purchase a Paxton Novi sl 2200 with FRPP GT 500 dual fuel pump, FRPP 39lb/hr injectors, SCT XF3 flash tuner and custon dyno - through a speed shop (this shop has installed on TS member SGT who seems to be very happy)

Strut brace remains, no cutting of CS6 hood. No Shelby GTH SC status (several grand less than SAI)

or

Install Edelbrock E Force local speed shop

no hood cutting, loose strut brace[/b]. No Shelby GTH SC status (several grand less than SAI)[/b

or

Send car to SAI Vegas for 475 Whipple (Paxton not available through SAI) (Most expensive)

Strut brace goes, hood needs to be cut to accomadate pulley. Receive Shelby GTH SC status and tag from SAI.

Please give me your thoughts on which route you would go and why.

Thanks.

The Paxton from SAI is not certified for 2006 MY cars?

Paxton kit and FRPP pumps and you're good to go, IMO. The FRPP injectors are no better than the 38# pencils in the Paxton kit. If you really want to upgrade injectors, find a set of flow matched injectors around 40#.

Lots cheaper than the alternatives and you'll be making just as much (if not more) power. The only downside is the lack of GTH/SC status (which is very cool IMO but wasn't worth the extra dough to me). Good luck Harald

Ken

The Paxton from SAI is not certified for 2006 MY cars?

Mot sure what you are asking. Bud told me the Paxton is not available from SAI for the v8s. only the 6 cylinders for Terlingua. V8 is not carb (50 state) certified at this time.

Mot sure what you are asking. Bud told me the Paxton is not available from SAI for the v8s. only the 6 cylinders for Terlingua. V8 is not carb (50 state) certified at this time.

I believe that Paxton has a C.A.R.B. E.O. for 2006 and 2007 applications. Perhaps Bud was not clear on the model year of your car. SAI installed a Paxton on my 2007 SGT legally, and I don't think that Paxton lost their E.O. for the 2006 and 2007 model year cars only 2008 and 2009 cars.

Regardless, if they are available from SAI, my advice would be to spend the extra money that SAI charges and have them install a Paxton on your car. If you go that route, you will have a very rare and low numbered GTH S/C car because I don't think that very many if any GTH's have been S/C'd by SAI.

Even if they can't install a Paxton, I would still spend the extra dough and have them install a Whipple on your car for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Just my opinion of course.

I believe that Paxton has a C.A.R.B. E.O. for 2006 and 2007 applications. Perhaps Bud was not clear on the model year of your car. SAI installed a Paxton on my 2007 SGT legally, and I don't think that Paxton lost their E.O. for the 2006 and 2007 model year cars only 2008 and 2009 cars.

Regardless, if they are available from SAI, my advice would be to spend the extra money that SAI charges and have them install a Paxton on your car. If you go that route, you will have a very rare and low numbered GTH S/C car because I don't think that very many if any GTH's have been S/C'd by SAI.

Even if they can't install a Paxton, I would still spend the extra dough and have them install a Whipple on your car for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Just my opinion of course.

Thanks. Bud and I spoke. No V8 Paxtons at this time. He stated this came from Paxton. If you can verify your comment, let me know.

Thanks. Bud and I spoke. No V8 Paxtons at this time. He stated this came from Paxton. If you can verify your comment, let me know.

I'll contact my friends at Paxton on Monday and ask them for you.

I love my Paxton from SAI. I think this is the way because of the past history with SHELBY in the 60's. ( if done by SAI) and would be awesome on GT-H. However if Bud says they cant do that at SAI that the end of that option with SAI. But, I would check with Paxton to see if you will have any issues with smog checks. Remenber Shelby is a business and may have to answer to a higher level. As I look at my Paxon I think it could be removed without trace. I dont know if this is true with the whipple.

Shelbyguy

I did get in contact with Hertz but no luck with Sirius. Thanks

I wouldn't cut the hood, so the Whipple is out. If you want to just drive it and have fun, the Edelbrock seems to be the better of the two superchargers. It is a new design, more efficient, and brings on the power earlier. If you are going to show your GT-H and authenticity is important, the Paxton has the history behind it. If you pop the hood and there is a Paxton under the hood (especially the one from Shelby Performance Parts with the Shelby badging on it), any Shelby enthusist would like that. Pop the hood and there is a Edelbrock under the hood, you will definitely get mixed reactions.

Paxton / Shelby Supercharger

I wouldn't cut the hood, so the Whipple is out. If you want to just drive it and have fun, the Edelbrock seems to be the better of the two superchargers. It is a new design, more efficient, and brings on the power earlier. If you are going to show your GT-H and authenticity is important, the Paxton has the history behind it. If you pop the hood and there is a Paxton under the hood (especially the one from Shelby Performance Parts with the Shelby badging on it), any Shelby enthusist would like that. Pop the hood and there is a Edelbrock under the hood, you will definitely get mixed reactions.

Paxton / Shelby Supercharger

+1

shelbyguy

I believe that this must be an SAI issue regarding certification. I'm certainly not trying to dispute what Bud is saying, but I just got off the phone with Paxton and they advised me that all of their systems for the 2005 to 2008 4.6 ltr engines are all C.A.R.B. certified with E.O. D-195-21, part # 1001853

Here's a link to Paxton's website:

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=103

Here the link to the California Air Reasources Board's list of approved aftermarket parts:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

The easiest way to find the E.O. details for the 4.6 3V engine is to use the E.O. search.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Wow that's news to just about everyone here.

Why on earth would SAI refuse to install the CARB certified Paxton, when they've offered it in the past? I'm thoroughly confused. :headscratch:

Ken

Yeah, me too Ken. :headscratch:

Jeez, I hope that I haven't inadvertanly just opened up a can a worms... :hide:

, but I just got off the phone with Paxton and they advised me that all of their systems for the 2005 to 2008 4.6 ltr engines are all C.A.R.B. certified with E.O. D-195-21, part # 1001853

Enis

I tried researching this issue last week and noticed Paxton also uses the following disclaimer:

All Paxton Supercharging systems are California Air Resource Board Certified unless otherwise noted.

The little bit I could find out is this:

The CARB # applies to 2005-2007 4.6 3V Mustang GT's. It does not apply to the later cars, why or what was changed I sure don't know.

My best guess is that SAI doesn't want to get involved with some GT's are exempt and some are not exempt. SAI has a lot to lose if they go afoul of CARB/EPA folks.

That is just a guess. It could be something completely different like they just don't want to deal with Paxton blowers. For now we just have to go with what Bud is informing us about.

Steve

PS- Enis, Paxton is located in Oxnard. If you want to head this way for lunch one day we can drive on over and get the scoop in person from Paxton.

THIS A THOUGHT

I KNOW THAT CALIFORNIA TITLE'S SHELBY AS MUSTANGS AND MUSTANG'S ARE SAID TO BE LEGAL, BUT EVERYONE HERE IS TALKING

ABOUT SHELBY'S

MAYBE THIS AS A SHELBY IT HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED.

SHELBYGUY

That E.O. only references the smaller Novi 1200 (which I have installed), not the more commonly used 2200 (which was the model SAI chose to use).

It also only says "2007" and makes no mention of 05, 06, 08, or 09. As far as I had heard, the CARB cert was only good for 05-06?

07-09 3V's are identical, however, so why would it only mention 07?

Ken

EDIT: To further muddy the issue, do a search on EO: D-195-22. It seems to indicate that this E.O. covers all Paxton blowers for 97-08 Ford V8's.

"1998-2003 model year Honda vehicles, 2004-2005 model year Honda S2000 vehicles. 1997-2008 model year Ford vehicles, 1997-2008 model year GM vehicles, 2003 through 2007 model year Nissan/Infiniti 350Z, G35, FX35 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L, and 5.6L Titan. 2007 Nissans with engine family 7NSXV03.5GAE are excluded. See PDF "

Enis

I tried researching this issue last week and noticed Paxton also uses the following disclaimer:

All Paxton Supercharging systems are California Air Resource Board Certified unless otherwise noted.

The little bit I could find out is this:

The CARB # applies to 2005-2007 4.6 3V Mustang GT's. It does not apply to the later cars, why or what was changed I sure don't know.

My best guess is that SAI doesn't want to get involved with some GT's are exempt and some are not exempt. SAI has a lot to lose if they go afoul of CARB/EPA folks.

That is just a guess. It could be something completely different like they just don't want to deal with Paxton blowers. For now we just have to go with what Bud is informing us about.

Steve

PS- Enis, Paxton is located in Oxnard. If you want to head this way for lunch one day we can drive on over and get the scoop in person from Paxton.

We could go there Steve, no problem, but I did speak with my contacts there earler today and asked them very pointedly about the 4.6 ltr, 3V V8 engine as it applies to the 2007/2008 Mustang GT, CS, Bullitt, AND Shelby GT, automatic or manual, and I was told without any reservation or hesitation that the Paxton S/C (Novi 1200's anyway) are smog legal and C.A.R.B. certified to be as such.

Ken, unless SAI has changed since I had my Paxton installed by them, they use the Novi 1200 blower, not the 2200; see photo below. And if you zoom the picture on the S/N plate, you can see the E.O. # D-195-21 on it.

post-4213-1248741168_thumb.jpg

We could go there Steve, no problem, but I did speak with my contacts there earler today and asked them very pointedly about the 4.6 ltr, 3V V8 engine as it applies to the 2007/2008 Mustang GT, CS, Bullett, AND Shelby GT, automatic or manual, and I was told without any reservation or hesitation that the Paxton S/C (Novi 1200's anyway) are smog legal and C.A.R.B. certified to be as such.

Ken, unless SAI has changed since I had my Paxton installed by them, they use the Novi 1200 blower, not the 2200; see photo below. And if you zoom the picture on the S/N plate, you can see the E.O. # D-195-21 on it.

Yup, I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification!

Did they mention when they received this EO? Could you maybe ask them if they know why SAI hasn't begun offering them for install again?

Thanks for all the great info Enis!

Ken

Yup, I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification!

Did they mention when they received this EO? Could you maybe ask them if they know why SAI hasn't begun offering them for install again?

Thanks for all the great info Enis!

Ken

Your welcome Ken. I believe that the C.A.R.B website lists when the E.O. was issued to the Mfg, but I did not look close enough to say for sure that it does. I'll try contacting Paxton again tomorrow and see if they will tell me what's going on.

Cutting the hood is no big deal we cut mine and installed a whipple since I have tested it @ or above 150mph on many occasions and it does not "dance or flex" at speed. Course its the hood and the strut brace. I dont know everyones the big hangup on the strut brace for me it was all about the power!!

Thanks Enis for looking into this.

I also contacted Paxton today. They stated that their kits (sl 1200 & 2200) are 50 state CARB. The person I talked to said it is an SAI issue.

I sent Bud an email about my confusion and not wishing to beat a dead horse but requested to provide some clarity to the issue. I personaly feel SAI or Paxton has parted ways. Just my perception.

To that end, I am now looking for shop options to install a Paxton. I know Sinergy in Carona has done a TS member and gave me a decent quote.

Wife still feels that SAI should do the SC install.

I greatly appreciate all the input and opinions.

Cutting the hood is no big deal we cut mine and installed a whipple since I have tested it @ or above 150mph on many occasions and it does not "dance or flex" at speed. Course its the hood and the strut brace. I dont know everyones the big hangup on the strut brace for me it was all about the power!!

Do you have thye CS6 /Hertz hood? If so, show picture.

Hi Harold..

Wow.. now thats a lot of info! Everyone here is so informative, .. dont know about you but this only confuses me further lol

As we've mentioned before, I am also thinking of having my GH-H SC'd in the near future and have also been in contact with Bud.. For historical and install reasons I would ideally go with a Paxton HOWEVER for me the bottom line would have to be a SAI install regardless of blower name/type as I would want it in the registry... even though that would mean going the Whipple route and losing the brace and cutting the hood, . Another option you mentioned a few months ago is that Tasca have a S/C set-up for the GT-H... 'They have a K-member lowering kit which includes billet spacers for the K-member and radiotor support. They also install a modified billet engine mount. Ford Racing is coming out with a 475 hp kit that they installed on two automatics and he said it is great. He said no need to modify the hood or strut brace'. .. The other option is of course no SC at all and leave the car 100% stock

In a perfect world, by the time im ready SAI will be installing Paxtons again!

Just my 2cents, hope this helps :)

Jon

Hi Harold..

Wow.. now thats a lot of info! Everyone here is so informative, .. dont know about you but this only confuses me further lol

As we've mentioned before, I am also thinking of having my GH-H SC'd in the near future and have also been in contact with Bud.. For historical and install reasons I would ideally go with a Paxton HOWEVER for me the bottom line would have to be a SAI install regardless of blower name/type as I would want it in the registry... even though that would mean going the Whipple route and losing the brace and cutting the hood, . Another option you mentioned a few months ago is that Tasca have a S/C set-up for the GT-H... 'They have a K-member lowering kit which includes billet spacers for the K-member and radiotor support. They also install a modified billet engine mount. Ford Racing is coming out with a 475 hp kit that they installed on two automatics and he said it is great. He said no need to modify the hood or strut brace'. .. The other option is of course no SC at all and leave the car 100% stock

In a perfect world, by the time im ready SAI will be installing Paxtons again!

Just my 2cents, hope this helps :)

Jon

SAI will not lower the motor. I could get this done and send to SAI. This may be considered but just not yet.

Thanks Enis for looking into this.

I also contacted Paxton today. They stated that their kits (sl 1200 & 2200) are 50 state CARB. The person I talked to said it is an SAI issue.

I sent Bud an email about my confusion and not wishing to beat a dead horse but requested to provide some clarity to the issue. I personaly feel SAI or Paxton has parted ways. Just my perception.

To that end, I am now looking for shop options to install a Paxton. I know Sinergy in Carona has done a TS member and gave me a decent quote.

Wife still feels that SAI should do the SC install.

I greatly appreciate all the input and opinions.

Bud emailed me this morning. He will contact Paxton and see if he can get the scoop on this. Let's cross our fingers.

Archived