TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT with Goodyear F-1 Tires

I'll comment for sure. HUGE difference in traction on the street. However, I'm running 10's out back. I did a track day (albeit my 1st) and loved the way they performed. I'm not afraid to push my car hard and they stood up very well. The edges were a little "gummed" up from the heat and cornering, but I think this made them that much stickier? My ride-along-buddy (who races in the American Iron) series was VERY impressed with the car overall. He commented on how well the tires seemed to perform. He insctructed to check my pressure in my tires by mid-morning and again was a little shocked that my tire pressure was still good. However, I now have another set of wheels (GT5's) and once I get my Brembo's on i'll put a set of track tires on there. My understanding is the best mod you can do for the track is to start with tires. my .02

Ken can probably add some color here as well......

It's the perfect compromise for a guy that mostly drives on the street and has a very occasional track day. The difference between the F1's and the stock BFG's is beyond night and day, especially on the track. For a car that sees the track quite often, these are still lacking from a real track tire obviously. After feeling the difference, I can't imagine what SAI was thinking when they went shoe shopping for the SGT.

Ken

After feeling the difference, I can't imagine what SAI was thinking when they went shoe shopping for the SGT.

Ken

They were probably thinking of a good all-around "all-season" tire...

I LOVE my KDW2's! :happy feet:

snakehurst01.jpg

DSC0430801.jpg

F1's are what I have and when I corner carve its a huge difference compared to the stock tire. Even when compared to my KDW's on the CS 66's the F1's are so much tighter and the steering response is sharper. The ride on the street is a little harsher for the F1's.

I have been impressed with them on and off the track. We drove the living crap out of them at Willow Springs for two days in May and they behaved as well as street tires can. Ken's comment about getting track tires is spot on. In my future down the road a piece.

Jim

for those of you who have switched to the Goodyear F-1's from the BFG KDWS how do you like them for everyday use as well as driving on road track courses?

I have the F1's mounted on my 18" OEM Rims... Same size all the way around (255/45/18) so that I can rotate them from front to rear, instead of just side to side...

Works out well when I get back from the road course... Just put them on the back and take the car to the Drag Strip :shift:

Just have to adjust the tire pressures based on the type of driving (Road Course vs Drag Strip)...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

I'll comment for sure. HUGE difference in traction on the street. However, I'm running 10's out back. I did a track day (albeit my 1st) and loved the way they performed. I'm not afraid to push my car hard and they stood up very well. The edges were a little "gummed" up from the heat and cornering, but I think this made them that much stickier? My ride-along-buddy (who races in the American Iron) series was VERY impressed with the car overall. He commented on how well the tires seemed to perform. He insctructed to check my pressure in my tires by mid-morning and again was a little shocked that my tire pressure was still good. However, I now have another set of wheels (GT5's) and once I get my Brembo's on i'll put a set of track tires on there. My understanding is the best mod you can do for the track is to start with tires. my .02

Ken can probably add some color here as well......

what is your wheel size? thanks

It's the perfect compromise for a guy that mostly drives on the street and has a very occasional track day. The difference between the F1's and the stock BFG's is beyond night and day, especially on the track. For a car that sees the track quite often, these are still lacking from a real track tire obviously. After feeling the difference, I can't imagine what SAI was thinking when they went shoe shopping for the SGT.

Ken

I think those were the standard Mustang GT tires which were on the cars that Ford shipped to SAI. I don't think there was any more thought about them.

They're fine for everyday use, but when I autocross I'm at a real disadvantage to the other guys!

I think those were the standard Mustang GT tires which were on the cars that Ford shipped to SAI. I don't think there was any more thought about them.

They're fine for everyday use, but when I autocross I'm at a real disadvantage to the other guys!

I thought every other regular MGT was equipped with 17" bullitts and a different set of tread than we ended up with. :headscratch:

I thought every other regular MGT was equipped with 17" bullitts and a different set of tread than we ended up with. :headscratch:

True, the 17's were standard, and the 18" Bullits optional. If you ordered the optional Bullits from Ford on a MGT, they came w/ the KDWS's. I'm guessing that the 17's were KDWS's also. I guess my point is that the stock Shelby GT tires were as they came from Ford, and not selected by SAI.

True, the 17's were standard, and the 18" Bullits optional. If you ordered the optional Bullits from Ford on a MGT, they came w/ the KDWS's. I'm guessing that the 17's were KDWS's also. I guess my point is that the stock Shelby GT tires were as they came from Ford, and not selected by SAI.

OK yeah I guess that makes sense. Otherwise SAI would have a hell of stockpile of take off rims/tires laying around! :doh:

I dunno what season those tires were good for though! :hysterical:

The Goodyear F1 is a summer tire only. As most of us GT500 owners have found out the are useless when the the temp drops below 50 degrees. The are like driving on ice. The GT500 even has a warning sticker on the drivers door jamb warning not to use below 45 degrees. This is just to let you know if you plan on using the F1 on the street into the fall.

Archived