TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 & 1986 Capri styling cues

Cali_KR

I love the 05-09 GT500, and I realize Ford designers reached back to find a common thread from the 1968 GT500 styling to apply some of that into the new gen cars....and a great job they did

...but here is a pic of a 1986 5.0 Mercury Capri, check out the hood vents (the 500's look spot on), even the air dam with the lower open center and early "splitter" look very familiar....

Just puttin' it out there to ponder :headscratch:

86_capri.jpg

86_capri.jpg

Anybody remember the "original" Capri? From Germany? One of those cars I always wished I had owned! Very slick little car with a good engine & transmission......if you could keep it from rusting away while you drove it!

We called them "Crapri's"

:hysterical:

Anybody remember the "original" Capri? From Germany? One of those cars I always wished I had owned! Very slick little car with a good engine & transmission......if you could keep it from rusting away while you drove it!

Heck yes, was my first car with the 2.8L V-6, had the beast up to 145 on the speedo, and even if you were generous and allowed a 10MPH tolerance for speedo error, I was still hooking up.

Mine was a '76 which I got in 1980, didn't last long enough to see it rust, tough as nails though, we had a road wash out and the engineers put up this temporary bridge, which at the right speed, I would get full air, which I did OFTEN! almost every day...NO BS, this car flew, literally and figuratively...

I love the 05-09 GT500, and I realize Ford designers reached back to find a common thread from the 1968 GT500 styling to apply some of that into the new gen cars....and a great job they did

...but here is a pic of a 1986 5.0 Mercury Capri, check out the hood vents (the 500's look spot on), even the air dam with the lower open center and early "splitter" look very familiar....

Just puttin' it out there to ponder :headscratch:

Man that is one sweeet Fox body Capri!! :drool: Has much more style than the Fox Mustangs that's for sure!!

I see what you mean about the hood vents and air dam. I think it's coincidental though. Everything on the GT500 was designed to be functional- I'm sure they did the same with the Capri.

My brother had a 1972, much like this but in silver. It was used for his commuter/beater and it did really well putting up with his abuse..

Capri_LH_Frt_Qtr.jpg

This 1984 is my all time favorite Capri- everything was totally functiona, including the front splitter & vents :)

P1010296.jpg

P1010297.jpg

We called them "Crapri's"

:hysterical:

I had an '83 that I bought used with a 3.8L v-6 that the previous owner had cammed, upgraded the pistons & heads and turbocharged. I liked it when people called it a "Crapri" then got beat in the 1/4 by it" :shift:

I had three of them. Two '81's and an 86 that I converted to a GT with mustang pieces (nose, hood, quarter windows, ground effects and wheels). I left the "bubble" hatch on for a while.

I always liked the look of the Fox bodied Capri especially the Black Magic model but when they added that bubble glass to the hatch the love ended for me.

Though the first generation is the best.

Steve

Archived