TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Detailing car

skipm

What affect will claying ,polishing and waxing the car have on the stripes? Do we need to stay away from the stripes while applying the products or is it safe to apply products directly over them? I typically use meguiar's product on all my vehicles but I've never had stripes before so I'm unsure to jump on it without some advise.

I washed and clay-barred the stripes like I did the rest of the car. No problems.

When polishing and sealing (waxing), I stayed away from the stripes as much as possible, but when I did get a little on the stripes, they were fine.

I used all Blackfire products.

Treat the stripes the same as the paint. Watch the clay on the edges of the stripe because it tends to leave a small amount of clay against the side of the stripe.

I found that ICE works great on the stripes. When using a wax, I avoid spreading it on the stripes though.

ItalianStallion

Clean wax it after you clay the car. Then glaze the car before polishing and waxing the final coats. I had severe overspray on my truck. I have clayed it clean waxed ,glaxed and polished. the glazing really makes the color pop, be sure and glaze. I use meqiuers show car glaze.

The guys that work at my firm that have really expensive cars all swear by Zymol wax and products (www.zymol.com) (you can get it at Calgary BMW) or else they just take their cars to the ShineFactory on Centre Street and let them detail it.

The guys that work at my firm that have really expensive cars all swear by Zymol wax and products (www.zymol.com) (you can get it at Calgary BMW) or else they just take their cars to the ShineFactory on Centre Street and let them detail it.

I have a tough time paying for something I can do with a little elbow grease. I've found meguiars works well leaves a nice deep shine on the car. I typically use the paint cleaner ,polish then gold class wax. I think I may try the clay bar this time one extra step to get a deeper shine.

I have a tough time paying for something I can do with a little elbow grease. I've found meguiars works well leaves a nice deep shine on the car. I typically use the paint cleaner ,polish then gold class wax. I think I may try the clay bar this time one extra step to get a deeper shine.

Try the meguiars show car glaze you will love how it makes the color deeper and it really makes it pop. The show car glaze is for dark colors and the machine glaze for the lighter colors.

Try the meguiars show car glaze you will love how it makes the color deeper and it really makes it pop. The show car glaze is for dark colors and the machine glaze for the lighter colors.

where in the process does the glaze fit in? I was told to clay bar then use paint cleaner then polish and top it off with wax.

where in the process does the glaze fit in? I was told to clay bar then use paint cleaner then polish and top it off with wax.

From the sequence on the bottle, wash first, clay second, glaze third, polish fourth, and last carnuba wax.

I love the glaze product and use it once a month.Found you can buy the Maguars products thru Amazonz (thanks Yvraegl) and they have most products.My cars are sunny day cars,so dont polish or wax since Ive found that over time,polishing and waxing reduces the shimmer and deepness of color.But if you have to get into the elelments regularly its a necessasry evil IMHO

Thanks that's what I thought.

You should not have to clay but once a year unless you get some overspray or other contaimenants on your car unexpectantly. When you clay always clean wax, glaze, polish and wax afterwards. Use the quick detailer after you wash and dry for your normal maintenance of the shine, Re-glaze, polish and wax every six months unless you see it needs it sooner. Use a good quality car wash and hand wash your car, use good micro fiber towells and applicators for washing, drying, polishing and waxing.

All good advice! Another recommendation is that when you clay bar, move the clay parallel to the stripes when you're near them; their edges do tend to pick up the clay. I did find some rail dust and other crud on the stripes, but the clay bar took it right off them without a problem.

As for waxes, I use nothing but Zaino; even on the stripes. It is the very best that I have ever used. In fact, used it for 4 straight years without washing on a black 03 Cobra: it was perfect.

Archived