TEAM SHELBY FORUM

a sobering reminder....

ARMORINE

its been a few weeks since the accident occurred but i wanted to make it clear to you all what price we can pay for driving dangerously or street racing..... it has been made very clear one of my clubs twice now....

july 12 OKDHM lost a very young and very headstrong member named Landon James Liles. he wasn't a Shelby owner but he was a mustang enthusiast. Landon was racing his supercharged 99 gt against a corvette when a car pulled out infront of him, he swerved and lost control at 150+ mph and hit a cement divider, flipped, rolled multiple times before coming to a stop. the vette never stopped to check on him.... the wreck occured on I-44 southbound near SW 29th street, Oklahoma city.

l_a46697fdb12c4c0e8e6b2e3d56aeb9fc.jpg

l_e255036d9e344de699ac1b3b84f919ba.jpg

landon liles was layed to rest on july 16th. he was 22. the precession stretched over 5 miles. please pray for his mother and father, and his little sister that were left behind in this world. he was a great person and will never be forgotten

http://www.myspace.com/333982245

EDIT UPDATE: he always told peple he was older then he was..he was really 19 and there was no cement barrier involved, the full reports due out from the police soon, we'll know exectly what happened. from the photo's i have seen it looks like the car was airborn for a very long time.... i still can't believe we lost one of our own.

OMG why are we seeing more of these tragedies with young kids in mustangs..... :cry:

RIP Landon.... :angel:

Here is a topic I posted in case anyone missed it, in Connecticut we had 4 tragic accidents in one year with most of these teenagers (16 and 17 year olds) killed going at a high rate of speed in a very fast car including a few WRX's!!! There has been fewer accidents lately due to recent stricter laws enforced.... :happy feet:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11707

OMG why are we seeing more of these tragedies with young kids in mustangs..... :cry:

RIP Landon.... :angel:

Here is a topic I posted in case anyone missed it, in Connecticut we had 4 tragic accidents in one year with most of these teenagers (16 and 17 year olds) killed going at a high rate of speed in a very fast car including a few WRX's!!! There has been fewer accidents lately due to recent stricter laws enforced.... :happy feet:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11707

The answer is that before the old school raced for a 1/4 mile or there abouts. Now its the gumball rally at 150mph for 50-60 miles at insane speeds and ireguardless of traffic conditions. The Fast and the Furious. I have seen it in real life swervng and driving on the shoulder at 80mph plus...

However, I am sure that plenty of kids died in muscle cars back in the day, we just have the internet now...

Sucks, sorry for this kids family and friends.

That story breaks my heart, but no responsible parent would allow a teenager to drive a car like that. Sounds cold and heartless, but the parents have to shoulder some of the blame here.

Got to agree here with this. Temptatation is all too great for most teens plus the fact they all believe they are invincible. Some parents these days don't have the brains to be raising their kids :(

However, I am sure that plenty of kids died in muscle cars back in the day, we just have the internet now...

Temptatation is all too great for most teens plus the fact they all believe they are invincible. Some parents these days don't have the brains to be raising their kids :(

I must agree with you both here on this... My dad wouldn't let me get a '71 Mach 1 back in '72. He worked for a bank that repo'd it, I could have had it for $1000. Guess he knew what I'd do with it.

That story breaks my heart, but no responsible parent would allow a teenager to drive a car like that. Sounds cold and heartless, but the parents have to shoulder some of the blame here.

they do, he built that car up i believe, it started as a mild gt and became a beast... he was always willing to help people on their cars he definitly had the knowledge to turn a mild ride into something frightening.

what really saddens me is his little sisters probably taking this really hard, i have an older brother, i know it would hurt bad if i lost him.

It's sad but the other person in the Vette should have some blame as well. He was encouraging him to race. People just don't understand that a track is the best place for this. Having a fast car doesn't make you a race car driver. My deepest sympathy to his family.

It's sad but the other person in the Vette should have some blame as well. He was encouraging him to race. People just don't understand that a track is the best place for this. Having a fast car doesn't make you a race car driver. My deepest sympathy to his family.

they never found the vette, its part of what has really upset every one, we lost our friend. he might have lived if the vette had stopped to help. the witness to the accident said the vette just kept going

Very sad...and another great example why street racing is a very bad idea. Prayers for him and his family.

Funny you bring up a vette, I was 18yrs old and my bestfriend was out on date with a guy with a vette. She hated fast cars and you b$tch about my car. The guy ended up in a drag race lost control hit a telephone pole killing her they found her body about a half a block away the driver just broke his arm and cuts. I still carry a photo of her in my wallet till this day!!!

Funny you bring up a vette, I was 18yrs old and my bestfriend was out on date with a guy with a vette. She hated fast cars and you b$tch about my car. The guy ended up in a drag race lost control hit a telephone pole killing her they found her body about a half a block away the driver just broke his arm and cuts. I still carry a photo of her in my wallet till this day!!!

i hope they put the dumbass away for as long time, street racings dumb, street racing with a passenger is down right retarded, if you want to risk you life go sky diving, mountain climbing, something where you dont risk some one elses life. that right there is why i stopped street racing before i turned 20, i was afraid i would lose control and kill an innocent bystander

I admit I did my share of street racing at that age. I used to roam the streets of fort Worth looking to pick a race, and found plenty. I am fortunate that I did not kill myself or anyone else.

But as someone pointed out, street racing is different. My 1969 Mach I was pretty quick, and I won lots of races with it. But They ended at about 70 mph, max. I rarely passed 90 mph at all, and never when I was street racing. We did not race on the highways at speed, at all.

The one time I topped it out was about 130, on a deserted section of freeway, and that was plenty scary.

I still race, but I keep it on a track, SCCA or NASA sanctioned, where everyone is headed the same approximate direction.

The rat-racing I see today is just plain stupid, and endangers us all.

they never found the vette, its part of what has really upset every one, we lost our friend. he might have lived if the vette had stopped to help. the witness to the accident said the vette just kept going

R.I.P. to your friend.

I don't understand how the vette driver stopping would have saved your friends life being there was a witness to the accident. Did the witness summon help?

I'm not defending the vette driver, I just don't see how him stopping or not would have any effect on the outcome.

R.I.P. to your friend.

I don't understand how the vette driver stopping would have saved your friends life being there was a witness to the accident. Did the witness summon help?

I'm not defending the vette driver, I just don't see how him stopping or not would have any effect on the outcome.

we still dont know, we know there was a witness, that saw them. weather or not he saw the actual crash i dont know. maybe it wouldn't have matter...but he still should have stopped

I'm sure the Vette ran because he did not want to get arrested. They'll never find him unless someone got the Vette's plates. Don't worry the driver of the Vette has his conscious to deal with every day.

+1 I am sure the police are interested in finding the 'Vette driver. There was a very bad street racing accident here in Charlotte in April. A mother and her daughter were killed and the passenger of the street racer was also killed. The other car in the street race was not involved in the accident and took off like the 'Vette driver. The police tracked the other driver down and charged her with three counts of second-degree murder.

Such sad news.. My thoughts are with the family.

I must agree with you both here on this... My dad wouldn't let me get a '71 Mach 1 back in '72. He worked for a bank that repo'd it, I could have had it for $1000. Guess he knew what I'd do with it.

I begged for a 68 Mustang at 20. My dad refused to help me buy the car. He knew what a speed demon I was, oops still am.

Archived