TEAM SHELBY FORUM

lastest dyno #'s - post Paxton install

I made it out to AED again tonight. I called after 5PM on a whim and luckily Drew answered. He said I could cruise out anytime tonight, because he and a few other guys and girls would be up late playing with their personal cars/trucks. I needed to verify that the tune for my new blower from VMP was safe and solid, so I didn't hesitate.

The first run wasn't much of a run. The tune was still de-rated with 2* of timing pulled. They wanted to check the air/fuel ratio, before adding those 2* back to the global spark parameter. To my relief, the AFR was safe above 5k, hovering between 11.5 and 12. They added the 2* with the Livewire and went to work.

On the first recorded pull, Drew ran it to 6200 and backed out. He said that the engine was spinning up so quickly past 6k that he was afraid of tapping the rev limiter and cutting fuel. We checked the computer and saw a peak of 493 RWHP. We were all floored. Shawn was measuring the boost pressure with their calibrated gauge and saw a peak of 9 psi. There was discussion of whether a 2nd pull was necessary. Drew was worried again about the rev limiter. I told him to up it. He didn't want to, but he obliged after some coaxing. I asked him to back out before hitting 6500 (where my rev limiter is typically set). After looking at the 1st printout, it was obvious that the engine wasn't finished making horsepower at the 6200 he originally stopped at.

So we each grabbed a beer and put the swamp cooler on high, trying to cool the blower down. We waited for nearly 20 minutes before the final pull. At this point, it was 103* (at 8PM), by the way. Hardly ideal conditions, but the chassis dyno was corrected to compensate. He ran it up to 6550 RPM this time. It recorded a peak of 508 HP @ 6550 RPM and 434 ft/lbs @ 5725 RPM!

The only advice he had for me was 1) buy an intercooler asap, 2) start a savings account for a new bottom end, and 3) keep it below 6k RPM's at ALL times. I plan on taking him up on each recommendation. Anyway, we were all shocked at the #'s. He pulled files from other blown 3V's that he's tuned & dyno'ed, and none of them had broken 500 RWHP. He says the combo of exhaust, cams, blower, charge plates, and a little luck from Ford, and I've ended up with one hot 4.6. :)

Ken

dyno.jpg

Wow, way to go Ken.... those cams like the blower.

And here I was worried about the boost leaking past these heavy lopers! ;)

Those are awesome numbers Ken! Congratulations!

Livernois has a nice stroker kit. ;)

Thanks man. I'm definitely in the market, so I'll check them out.

I brought my camera today, but forgot the battery. I was really bummed that I couldn't get video of this dyno run, because the car sounded amazing above 5k.

Anyway, I hung out there for a few hours after the pulls. These guys are really cool and a lot of fun to hang out with. They supplied the beer, pizza, and good looking girls, and I lent them a hand with some minor exhaust work on their trucks.

This is the only pic I took while out there, just because I thought it was hilarious to see a giant Power Stroke on the dyno! It pulled around 280 RWHP but made over 440 ft/lbs of torque! I had a great time out there and highly recommend them for any work that any Nor-Cal guys need done. During all of our BS'ing, I mentioned that it would be cool to get a Team Shelby dyno day together out there. Drew thought it was a great idea and asked me to arrange it. Maybe we could get a cruise together from Sac to Cameron Park. Stay tuned on that.

Ken

IMG_0298.jpg

We waited for nearly 20 minutes before the final pull. At this point, it was 103* (at 8PM), by the way. Hardly ideal conditions, but the chassis dyno was corrected to compensate.

Hi Ken,

I am pretty ignorant about dynos so please excuse this question. What does it mean that the dyno was "corrected" to compensate for the 103 degree temperature? Thanks in advance for the information. More than ever I can't wait to see your car in January. More evidence that Vista Blue is the fastest color.

Jim

Nice numbers, but now that you got them, wouldn't it be wise to reset the rev limiter back to 6k just to be safe for now? Just until you get close to adding the bottom end and intercooler anyway. Have fun! :shift:

Well yes and no. It'll be wise to keep my foot out of it at 6k, but setting the rev limiter that low could spell disaster. The rev limiter cuts fuel to slow the engine down. That's about the last thing I want to do at that high of an RPM, while the engine is making this kind of power. I reset it back to 6500, but I'll just need to be cautious above 5k.

Wow!!! Those numbers are really impressive. Was that on pump gas? Looks like you found the perfect combo of mods. Really nice setup.

It will be noticeably snappier in cooler weather. Turn the TCS off and have at it!

Thanks again man for all of your help with the install. I would have made a few serious mistakes without your guidance.

I was running 91 octane with one bottle of Lucas octane booster, by the way.

Hi Ken,

I am pretty ignorant about dynos so please excuse this question. What does it mean that the dyno was "corrected" to compensate for the 103 degree temperature? Thanks in advance for the information. More than ever I can't wait to see your car in January. More evidence that Vista Blue is the fastest color.

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim! All that it means is that the #'s are reliable, following the SAE standard. On a typical dyno-jet, the SGT would have made even higher power at the wheels, but only because the #'s wouldn't have been corrected using that method. I'm not a dyno tech either, so I don't know the engineering calculations used to 'correct' the #'s, but I do know that it's the difference between a $10k machine and a $60k machine.

Ken

HEY KEN,

SCOTTY HERE, GREAT NUMBERS ON THE DYNO. LIKE YOUR SHOP HAS TOLD YOU BE VERY,

VERY , VERY CARFUL WITH YOU CAR RUNNING THOSE DYNO NUMBERS. I WORKED

FOR FORD MOTOR AND I AM A RETIRED ENGINEER. THE NUMBERS YOU HAVE ARE AT

THE UPPER LIMITS OF THE 4.6 MOTOR.

WHEN I WAS WITH FORD AND GOODYEAR RACING I WORKED WITH BRIAN WOLFE NOW

THE HEAD OF FORD RACING AND WE HAD OTHER PROJECTS THAT INVOLVED

THE 4.6 MOTOR AND THEY GRENADED AT OR ABOVE 500 RWHP AFTER PROLONGED

USE.

SO BE CAREFUL LIKE YOUR SHOP ADVISED. I WOULD ADD THIS THAT YOU CAN

ALSO CHANGE OUT YOUR THERMOSTAT TO LOWER YOUR ENGINE TEMPS

ALONG WITH THE INTER-COOLER WHICH IS A MUST HAVE. YOU WILL NEED TO

RETUNE THE CAR IF YOU DO THE 160 THERMOSTAT SO YOU CAN CALIBRATE THE

SETTINGS FOR THE NEW THERMO. ALSO LET ME CHIMED IN ABOUT

LOWERING BACK YOUR REV-LIMITER IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.I HAVE SPOKE

WITH SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS AT FORD RACING THAT WORKED

ON THE WHIPPLE PROJECTS AND EVEN WHIPPLE ADVISES NOT TO UP THE

REV-LIMITER AND H.P. UNLESS YOU PUT FORGED PARTS IN THE MOTOR.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED ANY ADDITIONAL INFO.

CONGRATS AND ENJOY !!!

SCOTTY

Thanks again fellas. Again, the rev limiter is back where it's been all along, 6500 RPM. I don't want to set it at 6200, only because cutting fuel at that RPM is a sure fire way to grenade this engine. I've never tapped the rev limiter in the past and that's really when I didn't care much about it. I certainly won't be running up past 6k now, that's for sure.

I appreciate the input Scotty. The low temp t-stat is a good call for sure. I'll see if I can't find one online.

Ken

Thanks again fellas. Again, the rev limiter is back where it's been all along, 6500 RPM. I don't want to set it at 6200, only because cutting fuel at that RPM is a sure fire way to grenade this engine. I've never tapped the rev limiter in the past and that's really when I didn't care much about it. I certainly won't be running up past 6k now, that's for sure.

I appreciate the input Scotty. The low temp t-stat is a good call for sure. I'll see if I can't find one online.

Ken

NO PROBLEM KEN ON THE THERMOSTAT INFO. I HAD ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION

THAT THE FUEL INJECTORS AT LEAST ON MY WHIPPLE 550 KIT WHERE RUNNING

AT 80 % OF THEIR DUTY CYCLE ON A 91 OCTANE TUNE FROM WHIPPLE. IN

OTHER WORDS YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE WHEN TWEEKING YOUR TUNE ON THE

PAXTON THAT YOUR INJECTORS ARE NOT BEING OVER TAXED AND YOUR ENGINE

RUNS TO LEAN.

SCOTTY

NO PROBLEM KEN ON THE THERMOSTAT INFO. I HAD ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION

THAT THE FUEL INJECTORS AT LEAST ON MY WHIPPLE 550 KIT WHERE RUNNING

AT 80 % OF THEIR DUTY CYCLE ON A 91 OCTANE TUNE FROM WHIPPLE. IN

OTHER WORDS YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE WHEN TWEEKING YOUR TUNE ON THE

PAXTON THAT YOUR INJECTORS ARE NOT BEING OVER TAXED AND YOUR ENGINE

RUNS TO LEAN.

SCOTTY

I've already got a set of 60# injectors on order from the guys at AED. I can't remember what brand they are, but I'll post up a pic when they arrive. :)

Thanks greaser and Chill! I was hoping you guys would check out the new #'s! :happy feet:

Ken

so according to the calculations if im at 434 to the wheel, im bout 500-520 to the crank with the 15-20% loss?

Check this thread for some (less than clear) info on drivetrain loss: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=45278&hl=

Basically, there is no 'standard drivetrain loss' apparently, especially after adding some boost to the equation.

For all general purposes, I'm going with 15% loss whenever anyone asks me, however, in order to avoid having to pull out a power point presentation on why it is or isn't something else.

So yeah, I'd say you're a little over 510 at the crank. Based on my dyno sheet, I'm making about 600 HP at the crank (508/0.85).

Ken

good numbers welcome to the 500hp club thats the bestIve seen with that bloweron here so far...Is it safe Hell NO!!! But its FUN... its all about controlling the beast and your right foot and the smile on your face

Hey man which injectors are you running? Yours is the only other 500+ RWHP car I've seen here, so I figured you'd be a good source for some info!

How many miles on your SGT since adding all the power (roughly)? Any major or minor issues related to operating at that HP level? Are you tuned to make that 500+ on the street every day or just for the dyno? Thanks for any other info you can lend on your setup.

Ken

Its tuned to make 500 all the time on premium and the injectors are stock. the stock tune was a little too fat on the upper-mid and top end and we leaned it out a bit. We figured there is about 50 hp available over the stock tune to push it on the edge. I used 30 of that I don't do a lot of track time just some pulls at the local dragstrip (midnight mayhem and test and tune) Ive had no issues with anything except belts I installed a thumprrr race tensioner and pulley no problems after that. will be installing 373 this week or so.

Its tuned to make 500 all the time on premium and the injectors are stock. the stock tune was a little too fat on the upper-mid and top end and we leaned it out a bit. We figured there is about 50 hp available over the stock tune to push it on the edge. I used 30 of that I don't do a lot of track time just some pulls at the local dragstrip (midnight mayhem and test and tune) Ive had no issues with anything except belts I installed a thumprrr race tensioner and pulley no problems after that. will be installing 373 this week or so.

Stock from Whipple you mean? I think the 550 kit has the stock Ford injectors from the GT supercar engine?

Stock from Whipple you mean? I think the 550 kit has the stock Ford injectors from the GT supercar engine?

I was wondering the same thing. My engine would grenade at an idle running on the OEM injectors! :hysterical:

Archived