TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When Buying Vintage Shelby Memorabilia, Ask Questions If You Don't Know

When buying vintage Shelby memorabilia if you are not sure what the seller has make sure to ask questions about the item here on the Team Shelby forums. We may just have the answer.

A perfect example is the ebay auction I've posted below. The seller is honest by saying that he doesn't know what it is but bidders could be misled by the part where he uses the Ford name in the auction title and says he got it from a Ford dealership.

What he has is a piece of marble that has a 1987 Shelby Dodge Lancer Wheel medallion affixed to it. Yup it's a DODGE item. I don't recall anything like this coming from the Whittier California factory and I suspect that if the Whittier factory did produce a paperweight it would have had some sort of Shelby Automobiles inscription on the marble. In my opinion someone took a used Shelby Dodge Lancer wheel cap emblem and affixed it to a piece of marble for a homemade paperweight.

Nothing wrong with that but I can see a Ford enthusiast saying I've never seen one of those before and I've got to have it at any price.

So again always ask questions if you aren't sure. Besides the thousands of active members we have many thousands more that lurk behind the scenes who may just have the answer.

Steve

Shelby Paperweight???

I like the slightly-slanted-for-speed version of the logo better than that supplied for Members (look left).

Officially there are three versions. The original squared off version from th 60's, an italicized version from the 80's and a refined italicized version from a few years ago.

I also like the italicized version the best.

Steve

When buying vintage Shelby memorabilia if you are not sure what the seller has make sure to ask questions about the item here on the Team Shelby forums. We may just have the answer.

A perfect example is the ebay auction I've posted below. The seller is honest by saying that he doesn't know what it is but bidders could be misled by the part where he uses the Ford name in the auction title and says he got it from a Ford dealership.

What he has is a piece of marble that has a 1987 Shelby Dodge Lancer Wheel medallion affixed to it. Yup it's a DODGE item. I don't recall anything like this coming from the Whittier California factory and I suspect that if the Whittier factory did produce a paperweight it would have had some sort of Shelby Automobiles inscription on the marble. In my opinion someone took a used Shelby Dodge Lancer wheel cap emblem and affixed it to a piece of marble for a homemade paperweight.

Nothing wrong with that but I can see a Ford enthusiast saying I've never seen one of those before and I've got to have it at any price.

So again always ask questions if you aren't sure. Besides the thousands of active members we have many thousands more that lurk behind the scenes who may just have the answer.

Steve

Shelby Paperweight???

There is definitely a "buyer beware" concern on Ebay. Anytime you buy anything rare/expensive on Ebay be sure to do your homework and use anything the seller says as just an opinion. "Shill" bidding is increasingly common so you won't find many great deals anymore. Also if you decided to SELL on Ebay, you will quickly learn about Ebay's one sided rules which allows deadbeat buyers to do about anything they want with sellers with little or no penalty, (don't pay, renegotiate price AFTER the sale, etc). If PayPal is used as a form of payment either buying or selling, then you get into another can of worms should you encounter a less then honest buyer or seller. This tough economy is only making it worse. Sorry to be so negative, but just one Ebay Seller's opinion. :shift:

Archived