TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS upgrade or GR400TT + DIY

Hello everybody, i have a GT500 2007, so what will the upgrade i should choice :

1 : SS 725hp upgrade : 33K $

2 : GR40TT suspension = 13.5k + Kenne Bell Supercharge 2.8h =6K + sean Hyland Aluminium block = 6K + super snake hood : 1k + Alcoa Wheel : 2K = 28.500 $

what is the upgrade will be the best for me, someone tell me that with GR40TT + aluminuim block, my car will lower weight about 3500ib and it can handle better than the SS, it can beat the Z06 in track and can compare with ZR1, is this right ?. Please help me, i'm a new member.

if your looking for a true track build go with #2, skip the SHM block, SS hood and Alcoas. add the C&R/Shelby cooling package, Griggs brakes, 18x10 wheels all four corners and wait for the Griggs heat extraction hood. talk to Griggs to see if a aluminum drive shaft and relocation of the battery to the trunk would help?

if your looking for a true track build go with #2, skip the SHM block, SS hood and Alcoas. add the C&R/Shelby cooling package, Griggs brakes, 18x10 wheels all four corners and wait for the Griggs heat extraction hood. talk to Griggs to see if a aluminum drive shaft and relocation of the battery to the trunk would help?

why i should skip the Aluminium Block, they said it can help to save 100ib and improve strength, more HP handle.... i like the supersnake style so i think i should keep the hood and the alcoa wheel, except alcoa 20inc wheel only for anwesome look.. in the track, i use diffirent wheel and tire.

the Griggs set up well handle the weight of the stock block, it also reduces the weight, you don't need 700hp in a track set up, the SS hood is a ram air set up, you need heat extraction. looks are one thing, performance is another. you really need to talk to Griggs or dactyl/Van (TS member), they can help you set this up for the track.

the Griggs set up well handle the weight of the stock block, it also reduces the weight, you don't need 700hp in a track set up, the SS hood is a ram air set up, you need heat extraction. looks are one thing, performance is another. you really need to talk to Griggs or dactyl/Van (TS member), they can help you set this up for the track.

I agree mostly w/GT500-07. If you are building a track monster everything has to be for function. I just got my SS this week and don't have any experience with it yet. But I have done a fair amount of track driving in Porsches back in the late 80's/early 90's. Weight, chassis stiffness, tires, brakes, driving ability and then HP are the keys to going fast. I have seen guys in early small displacement 911's outrun guys in 911 turbos because their cars were light and stiff with maximum use of the wheel/tire package.

I would do everything I could to make the car light. The aluminum block would be nice, but is a very exspensive option from where you are starting. That piece really depends on your overall budget. Other than that IMO, you should go with the Griggs sytem, 18" wheels and the full cooling system. The 20' alcoas look good, but are WAAAY TOOO HEAVY!!! for the track. Try to get as much weight out of the front end as possible, the Griggs system, moving the battery to the trunck(or going with a light one(see thread in mod and tech)) and a light weight hood will help. Stay with 18' wheels, get custom 3 piece wheels made to get the widest and lightest wheel you can. The wider the wheel the wider the tire you can run and the more rubber you get on the ground, the better the car will corner and brake. Extra tire will also help you, when you make a mistake(will all do).

I would also focus on a good seat, belt bar or roll bar/cage(again stiffness) and a 5/6 point harness. As your driving skills get better, you will become limited by you ability to brace yourself in the seat and still drive. The seat and belts will solve that.

Once you have done these things and have some track events under your belt and you skill level is up. THEN go for more HP. You will find a light, stiff, reliable(cooling system), well driven 500hp car will outrun almost anything. If you need/want more HP at this point, you now will be able to use it effectively. The biggest mistake inexperienced road racers make is to go after big HP 1st. They make cars that their brakes, suspension and driving skills can't cope with.

Go after handling, braking and driving skill 1st, then HP and you will be very happy and will run off and hide from everyone at the track.

I hope this helps and good luck.

BJ

+1

Sub a set of Jongbloeds instead of the Alcoas. SS hood for street use only, IMO. Al block would be a giant waste of dough.

Upgrade the blower, go with the GR40TT, and buy a whole lot of rubber. Good luck

Ken

My suggestions:

I'd skip the KB for now (good for drag strip, not needed for road race track)

S/C pully, Cold Air and tune (John Lund), maybe KR mufflers

Revan Alum Radiator and Heat Exchanger (a must!)

Aluminum Driveshaft

4 point cage (6/8 point if you can)

Put the car on a diet for track days (Subs, passenger seat, rear seats, carpet, etc.)

You can get an aluminum 5.4 block for way less than 6k (unless you are paying someone to build and install the engine) if you really want to cut every ounce

Light wieght wheels

Depending on where you race you might consider gears (3.73's)

Griggs ST or TT suspension (how much street driving?)

JMO

Hello everybody, i have a GT500 2007, so what will the upgrade i should choice :

1 : SS 725hp upgrade : 33K $

2 : GR40TT suspension = 13.5k + Kenne Bell Supercharge 2.8h =6K + sean Hyland Aluminium block = 6K + super snake hood : 1k + Alcoa Wheel : 2K = 28.500 $

what is the upgrade will be the best for me, someone tell me that with GR40TT + aluminuim block, my car will lower weight about 3500ib and it can handle better than the SS, it can beat the Z06 in track and can compare with ZR1, is this right ?. Please help me, i'm a new member.

I think with all that gear you also want new cams (degreed) and some work done on the heads. SS valves and some springs... some Manley rods and some custom piston. So after all it will cost you at least the same than the SS package, but you got a racin maschine! Cause the first thing you do is, have it on the dyno and you see the engine making power past 6k. So you gonna crank her up till she's not making power no more. ;):drool:

Archived