TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is your most embarrassing memory of all time??

I know with most of us baby boomers here on TS..... :baby: we can share a few, embarrassing at the time but funny to bring up now, moments that has happened in our lives past or present!!! One of my most embarrassing memory was in High School, my ex-boyfriend (who was my actual boyfriend before that in Junior High) came up from behind me, for no apparent reason or maybe there was one :headscratch: and pulled down my shorts right in front of the entire gym class..... :blush::finger:

:lurk:

Back 25 years ago when I was young and dumb at 18 I went to get my motorcyle liscence at DMV. There was a group of guys my age now 40 old timers to me at the time also getting there lisence. Well the instructor explaned the course trval down to the end turn around come back throught the course and just as you come around the corner come to a stop then proceed to the end after the full stop. After watching these "old timers" go slowly down the course and back it was my turn on my AMF Harley 250, I speed down the course with ease turned around and flew back and at the point were I meet the corner I remembered I'm supposed to stop. well as momentom has it as I slammed on the brake the bike went flipping out from under me with me tangled up with it across the parking lot into a heap. There I was tangled up with the bike road rash from hell as the instructor walks up to hand me my "Failed" paperwork. I then picked up my bike only to drive back home with bent handle bars and broken turn signals. I never went back. Only to be young and dumb again.

I singlehandedly closed an international airport for 4 hours. Sep 1988 taking private pilot lessons right before I went into the Air Force. Figured it would be good experience for navigator school.

I had only just soloed and was doing touch and goes when the tower said "two seven alpha golf spend minimum time on runway" I had never heard this call before and didn't know exactly what it meant. As soon as the rear wheels of my tricycle landing gear Beach Skipper touched down I gave it full throttle. The torque from the engine pulled the plane hard left. Before I got it straightend out I was in the grass going parallel to the runway. I thought, I just get it back on the runway and no one will know about this. Then I started clipping the landing lights with the landing gear..."well I can't hide that...just get it back on the runway and call it a day" Then the nosegear got stuck in some soft mud and snapped off. The prop was hitting the ground and got bent bad. Hanging nose down in my seat harness, I called the tower; "Tower, two seven alpha golf crashed on the runway." I unbuckled, climbed out and ran in case the plane was going to explode. I looked up and all these private aircraft, a US Airlines 737 and USAF C-141 were in the pattern and couldn't land. I had closed the runway for next 4 hours.

Later on the 6pm local news they announced my name and what I had done. My friends were calling me asking "was that you?" I still have the recording of the local news. I'll never forget that aircraft call sign.

I singlehandedly closed an international airport for 4 hours. Sep 1988 taking private pilot lessons right before I went into the Air Force. Figured it would be good experience for navigator school.

I had only just soloed and was doing touch and goes when the tower said "two seven alpha golf spend minimum time on runway" I had never heard this call before and didn't know exactly what it meant. As soon as the rear wheels of my tricycle landing gear Beach Skipper touched down I gave it full throttle. The torque from the engine pulled the plane hard left. Before I got it straightend out I was in the grass going parallel to the runway. I thought, I just get it back on the runway and no one will know about this. Then I started clipping the landing lights with the landing gear..."well I can't hide that...just get it back on the runway and call it a day" Then the nosegear got stuck in some soft mud and snapped off. The prop was hitting the ground and got bent bad. Hanging nose down in my seat harness, I called the tower; "Tower, two seven alpha golf crashed on the runway." I unbuckled, climbed out and ran in case the plane was going to explode. I looked up and all these private aircraft, a US Airlines 737 and USAF C-141 were in the pattern and couldn't land. I had closed the runway for next 4 hours.

Later on the 6pm local news they announced my name and what I had done. My friends were calling me asking "was that you?" I still have the recording of the local news. I'll never forget that aircraft call sign.

Thats awsome, glad you came out ok

That was a good one Alaska, yours too AFBlue....

I've had so many it's tough to remember them all, that's what happens when ya get old!!! I didn't close an airport....

But I remember when I was 17 and the guys at the local garage where I worked were pickin on my car one night. It was a '63 Fairlane, 289 3 speed, open rear. Well and I went out on the street and side stepped the clutch, put down about 50 foot of rubber from the one tire, grabbed second and when the chirp from second finished I heard someone yell "HEY". Only to look out the drivers window to see my Mom and Dad standing on the corner, they were going for ice cream when I pulled my stunt. I drove back to them and my Dad just said "go home and put your license on the counter we'll talk later". Boy did I feel stupid!!!

:doh: That was definately minimum time on the runway :hysterical:

As I fellow pilot I can sympathize. Had a left rear tire blow out on landing in my 182. Thankfully I got it stopped on the edge of the runway.

• 10 months later...

Archived