TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Here is some news for you..KRs

I was just told by a Sales manager that a District manager told him that there was still a substantial backlog off 2009 and some 2008 GT500s still sitting on Dealer lots that the Dealers could not sell. Also....now get this.... that the 2010 GT500 had a devastating impact on the KRs and the Dealers cannot even give them away. That Ford in fact is cutting production of the 2010 GT500 because of declining sales on the existing cars and the soft/bad market for them. This is called product trend analysis.

Many Dealers had anticipated allotments similar to what they received in 2008 and 2009 and had taken orders against these anticipated allocations which may not materialize and that now they will not receive any more cars for right now. Future undetermined because Ford is not sure what they are going to do at this point with the 2010 model year.

Bottom line on all of this is you are probably about to see the Mother of all incentive programs on remaining 2008 and 2009 GT500s and KRs.

Guys, I think Ford has correctly diagnosed that the market is steadily declining for these cars and is probably making a prudent business decision.

There is not a Dealer out there who knows what is going to happen because Ford has not made a Decision yet on what they are going to do.

Guys I think this is pretty much the straight scoop.

Steve

I was just told by a Sales manager that a District manager told him that there was still a substantial backlog off 2009 and some 2008 GT500s still sitting on Dealer lots that the Dealers could not sell. Also....now get this.... that the 2010 GT500 had a devastating impact on the KRs and the Dealers cannot even give them away. That Ford in fact is cutting production of the 2010 GT500 because of declining sales on the existing cars and the soft/bad market for them. This is called product trend analysis.

Many Dealers had anticipated allotments similar to what they received in 2008 and 2009 and had taken orders against these anticipated allocations which may not materialize and that now they will not receive any more cars for right now. Future undetermined because Ford is not sure what they are going to do at this point with the 2010 model year.

Bottom line on all of this is you are probably about to see the Mother of all incentive programs on remaining 2008 and 2009 GT500s and KRs.

Guys, I think Ford has correctly diagnosed that the market is steadily declining for these cars and is probably making a prudent business decision.

There is not a Dealer out there who knows what is going to happen because Ford has not made a Decision yet on what they are going to do.

Guys I think this is pretty much the straight scoop.

Steve

Sounds Logical to me, I am glad my car is almost home. Will this effect any existing orders?

Well Ford has no one to blame but them selves...or at least to be more precise their dealers. If they hadn't done those stupid mark ups on the pre-2010 models - I would have probably bought one a couple years ago. And they wonder why they are still sitting on the lots.

I sincerely hope that they intend to still honor those of us that have orders in, with money down.

i was in the market for a 2009 KR until i noticed that the 2010 had everything i wanted including a better stop n go driving clutch. in other words, they cannabalized the KR market for the '10 GT500 AND it was a GOOD move. people will pay 50k for a mustang, 75k? not so much. cutting production on the 2010 mustangs is a horrible short and long term move.

heck, there is one dealer down the road that still has a $125k sign on a 2007 or so super snake. they quoted me $25k over MSRP when i first started shopping around for my 2010. i was like riiiiiiggghhhtttttt...

The best indication of how strong demand is for a car is to look at demand and resale values of the used ones. I think we know what the answer is on that question. I think Ford is making the right decision because the only people who want one of these cars 2007 thru 2010 is a small hard core group of entusiasts and when that demand is met the continuing market for GT500s is going to be really soft and Ford knows they will all end up sitting on lots. They built only half as many 2009 models as 2008 and look how many are still unsold. We can't see it because we are blinded by our enthusiasm for the car, but beyond us there is virtually no demand.

I got my deposit back and I am going to sit back, shop around a little and buy one only if it is an invoice Plus deal. Beyond that I will wait and see how all of this shakes out. Who knows there could be an announcement on a 450 hp GT or new SVT model by Fall.

Steve

I agree pretty much with everything that the OP wrote except for the part that Ford will be cutting production of the 2010 GT500. Ford will produce as many 2010 GT500's as the market can handle.

And yes dealers that have 2008-09 KR's will have a hard time moving them now with a 2010 GT500 sitting right next to them on the lot. Very few people will pay more money for a one or two year old car when they can get the same or better newer model car.

The current KR buyer is someone that wants a Vegas Shelby and/or the older body style. Or if the 2008-09 price drops below the 2010 GT500 price.

Steve

I agree pretty much with everything that the OP wrote except for the part that Ford will be cutting production of the 2010 GT500. Ford will produce as many 2010 GT500's as the market can handle.

And yes dealers that have 2008-09 KR's will have a hard time moving them now with a 2010 GT500 sitting right next to them on the lot. Very few people will pay more money for a one or two year old car when they can get the same or better newer model car.

The current KR buyer is someone that wants a Vegas Shelby and/or the older body style. Or if the 2008-09 price drops below the 2010 GT500 price.

Steve

Steve you are correct in that the Sales manager told me that for right now there were no more allocations and the one car he got may be the only one he will get the rest of the year, vs the 12 he got last year. He did say that they could not get a straight answer from Ford on if this was a temporay or permanent decision for 2010. Only that Ford had not made a decision on the 2010 model. I talked to two different sales managers this morning and both gave me basically the same story. No more cars till further notice, future unknown.

Steve

Steve you are correct in that the Sales manager told me that for right now there were no more allocations and the one car he got may be the only one he will get the rest of the year, vs the 12 he got last year. He did say that they could not get a straight answer from Ford on if this was a temporay or permanent decision for 2010. Only that Ford had not made a decision on the 2010 model. I talked to two different sales managers this morning and both gave me basically the same story. No more cars till further notice, future unknown.

Steve

If Ford indeed cuts 2010 GT500 production to 2000 units I'd be shocked as that makes no sense unless there is a reason we don't know about yet. Some have speculated that the aluminum block could be the reason. I guess that's a possibility.

Where are those GT500 engine assembler guys when we need them. They must have some idea on what is going on.

Steve

I can understand some of this. The one thing that I am not understanding is why would they limit production on units already sold. ie. Orders for paying customers? If car is for dealer stock and just to show off, then yes I can see Ford saying enough is enough.

But why are "we" the people who put deposits down and have a real desire to buy the car being put in the same group as the Dumb ass dealer that over charged and over ordered?

This is the stuff that pisses me off.

I can understand some of this. The one thing that I am not understanding is why would they limit production on units already sold. ie. Orders for paying customers? If car is for dealer stock and just to show off, then yes I can see Ford saying enough is enough.

But why are "we" the people who put deposits down and have a real desire to buy the car being put in the same group as the Dumb ass dealer that over charged and over ordered?

This is the stuff that pisses me off.

Very well said tdusseau and my thoughts exactly. I put a good chunk of money down already and have a deal in place...now they're going to turn around and perhaps say "no thank you, keep your money"? It just doesn't make sense on so many levels...not to mention all the announcements recently about the Supersnake, etc...seemed like the Shelbys were a great success.

I'm not ready to jump off the bridge yet.

I don't know where this all came from....just a few days ago this was posted by War Eagle :

"I was told by a Ford Dealer Sales Manager that Ford was ramping up production and that the total built would exceed the 2009 by a "good margin", what that means is anyone's guess.

The initial rumor on forums that they were only building them when ordered by customers was totaly false and they are building large numbers for Dealer inventory plus special orders. Ebay is really starting to fill up with them."

Shelby Production Link

:headscratch:

It used to be and I assume it still is that when a dealer orders a car there is a box or some area that denotes if the car is sold or if its for dealer inventory. In the past the manufacturers almost always gave priority to sold cars over cars for inventory.

SD or MM will have to let us know if that is still the practice or if its now a first come first served type of deal.

Steve

The best indication of how strong demand is for a car is to look at demand and resale values of the used ones. I think we know what the answer is on that question. I think Ford is making the right decision because the only people who want one of these cars 2007 thru 2010 is a small hard core group of entusiasts and when that demand is met the continuing market for GT500s is going to be really soft and Ford knows they will all end up sitting on lots. They built only half as many 2009 models as 2008 and look how many are still unsold. We can't see it because we are blinded by our enthusiasm for the car, but beyond us there is virtually no demand.

I got my deposit back and I am going to sit back, shop around a little and buy one only if it is an invoice Plus deal. Beyond that I will wait and see how all of this shakes out. Who knows there could be an announcement on a 450 hp GT or new SVT model by Fall.

Steve

I agree with some of what you say about us being blinded by our enthusiasim, but if this is really going shake out and production is cut to 2000 units or less for 010 my advice is find one and buy it, don't try to sit around and hopefully get something for nothing. If you want one at invoice or below buy one of the many prior years, this is pure supply side economics supply and demand if they can match up with that we probably all will win.

Cobra010

A 2nd part of the conversation was not based on fact but speculation. It went like this, that there were rumors that Ford was evaulating it's current product lineup for the Mustang.

Now what the heck does that mean??????

Steve

This all speculation on behalf of a sales manager on the ground floor? :reading:

I agree with some of what you say about us being blinded by our enthusiasim, but if this is really going shake out and production is cut to 2000 units or less for 010 my advice is find one and buy it, don't try to sit around and hopefully get something for nothing. If you want one at invoice or below buy one of the many prior years, this is pure supply side economics supply and demand if they can match up with that we probably all will win.

Cobra010

Yep and the prior years look better as well...IMHO... :hysterical:

Thank You! This is dealer hype until proven oherwise.

At first yesterday when I got my call about my order I was mad and frustrated but this morning I find the entire thing laughable.

I agree with your comment and actually think it is a little of both Dealer Hype and Ford marketing/production gone amuck. Ford is famous for going from one ditch to the other with their products. I sincerely believe that part of this is some misguided effort by Ford to help with the huge backlog of unsold 2008 and 2009 GT500s and KRs.

I was surfing Ebay this morning looking and noted that none of the new cars are selling at all. The only bids are well below MSRP. I also agree with another poster that nothing is going to save the market for the KR except maybe a 40% price reduction.

The end result of this hamfisted misguided management by Ford/Dealers is that Greedy Dealers will start marking up the 2010 models they receive driving the few remaining customers for this car out of the market. It certainly won't help the sale of the left over 2008/2009s that no one wants.

This is not 2007 and the 2010 GT500 is not a new car it is the 4th year of a car that has seen steadily declining sales and a resale market that is in shambles. If you want a used GT500 they now can be had as low as $33,000. Most buyers are a lot smarter than they were back during the 2007 hype and are not going to be burned a 2nd time.

I agree with others who have stated that production will come roaring back on the 2010 but the sad thing is it will come to a market that will be decidedly worse when they do (11% unemploymet). A lot of buyers have already walked away from this mess.

For most of us this car is simpy a toy and not a work vehicle or primary mode of transportaion. Most of us are pretty well off but we did not get that way making poor decisions with our money.

For me I am a cash buyer for a 2010 Torch red with HID headlamps at $1,000 to $1,500 over invoice. I will simply sit back and wait again like I did before when I bought my 2009 for $1.00 below invoice. Rest assured that day is coming and it won't be long before Ford crosses back over to the other ditch. I may end up in a 2011 but I have several cars and will get along just fine without a Shelby for awhile.

Now, I will sit back and enjoy the show.

:lurk:

Hang in there guys,

Steve

I heard another couple rumors. Don't know if these are related.

The 2010 GT500 production is to stop in November. The 2011 GT500 to be an early release in March 2010.

A nasty rumor - I heard current production has stopped due to a 5.4L "issue" - and a possible recall on all 5.4L motors? Any truth to that?

I heard another couple rumors. Don't know if these are related.

The 2010 GT500 production is to stop in November. The 2011 GT500 to be an early release in March 2010.

A nasty rumor - I heard current production has stopped due to a 5.4L "issue" - and a possible recall on all 5.4L motors? Any truth to that?

One would think that after 4 years the kinks would be worked out. I think its just a rumor. Haven't heard of any issues, recalls or even a TSB on the 5.4L motor.

Archived