TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ROAD TRIP

Blown Away

I just got back from vacation in Northern California and instead of taking the 5 all the way home, I decided to take the scenic route. Especially since I was in the SGT. It was just me & my 2 kids. We saw several '10 mustang convertibles on hwy. 1, and even one GT-H convertible, but he was going northbound. I would definitely recommend this route to any one. We went from Carmel to San Luis Obispo, stopping off at Hearst Castle in San Simeon.

I would have liked to spent more time, but the Hearst Castle stop was a surprise for the girls, and we were pressed for time to make the tour I reserved. It took us 6 hours from my friends house to the castle. Oh yeah, stopping off for the night in S. L. O. was a surprise too. They thought they were going to have to spent the next 5 hours riding home :hysterical:

Dan

Some scenery

th_DSCF2786.jpg

My 2 girls

th_DSCF2783.jpg

More with the kids

th_DSCF2793.jpg

Some of the twisties

th_DSCF2807.jpg

th_DSCF2810.jpg

th_DSCF2823.jpg

th_DSCF2782.jpg

More scenery... my youngest took this one

th_DSCF2794.jpg

So did you're daughters really enjoy the ride or were they saying "OhmyGAWD I wish Daddy would just take us home!!" :lol:

Sounds like a great trip to me though!

Nice photos and an even nicer trip. Scenic road trips in a Shelby is what "driving" is all about. I've driven from Florida to Oklahoma in my SGT and never got on an interstate. It's so interesting who you meet and what sights you see. We (wife and I) spent the night at Magazine Mountian Lodge in western Arkansas. This is really off the interstate. Right before dusk I go down to make sure the Shelby is all locked up and secure (and to ensure no "door whacking vans" are parked too close) and what is parked next to me? An all black GT-500. We spend the better part of an hour talking cars and comparing who had the most bugs on the cars. Lots of fun, especially when the wife went to sleep, and we were on a curvey Arkansas rural road. They have the best roads in Arkansas! Thanks for sharing your trip and by the way my car and yours are twins in the way we added additional Shelby parts. :shift::shift:

I just got back from vacation in Northern California and instead of taking the 5 all the way home, I decided to take the scenic route. Especially since I was in the SGT. It was just me & my 2 kids. We saw several '10 mustang convertibles on hwy. 1, and even one GT-H convertible, but he was going northbound. I would definitely recommend this route to any one. We went from Carmel to San Luis Obispo, stopping off at Hearst Castle in San Simeon.

I would have liked to spent more time, but the Hearst Castle stop was a surprise for the girls, and we were pressed for time to make the tour I reserved. It took us 6 hours from my friends house to the castle. Oh yeah, stopping off for the night in S. L. O. was a surprise too. They thought they were going to have to spent the next 5 hours riding home :hysterical:

Dan

Some scenery

th_DSCF2786.jpg

My 2 girls

th_DSCF2783.jpg

More with the kids

th_DSCF2793.jpg

Some of the twisties

th_DSCF2807.jpg

th_DSCF2810.jpg

th_DSCF2823.jpg

th_DSCF2782.jpg

th_DSCF2794.jpg

Nice story. My wife and I are heading up to Northern California on the 14th of this month, She wants to see San Fran. Okay as long as I get to drive we'lll go. So we are off to Yosemite, Napa Valley, and I have to drive some of the coast line heard it is a nice scenic view. Thanks for the pics, and a good story. Looks like I have much t look forward to.

Nice story. My wife and I are heading up to Northern California on the 14th of this month, She wants to see San Fran. Okay as long as I get to drive we'lll go. So we are off to Yosemite, Napa Valley, and I have to drive some of the coast line heard it is a nice scenic view. Thanks for the pics, and a good story. Looks like I have much t look forward to.

We were in Napa, Sonoma, last week. great fun. if you are into wine Sonoma is the place. Much better price point and very very good wine ( was once told by a wine person " Sonoma makes wine and Napa makes auto parts" :hysterical: ) . Cline vineyards in southern Sonoma has beautiful grounds, end of July the do a jazz fest and usually the same weekend the Power aid Nationals just down the road ( not many women don;t like Top Fule after they have felt it rumble through their bodies :drool: ). VJB wineries in Kenwood just a store front but wonderful California wine in true Italian style and granny make pasta sauce that is to die for.

FYI my old 02 GT Mustang did not like the under drive pulleys in triple digits. worth the cost of a new damper bolt if you are heading into 100+ temps. IMHO.

Wife and I are heading to Southfork, Colorado on Sunday for a week of camping...I gave her the choice of going on the motorcycle or the Shelby...she chose the Shelby this time...Should be a fun trip and I'm looking forward to getting the SGT off of these long straight roads here in West Texas and on some twisty roads up in the mountains.

Dan

Some scenery

th_DSCF2786.jpg

My 2 girls

th_DSCF2783.jpg

More with the kids

th_DSCF2793.jpg

Some of the twisties

th_DSCF2807.jpg

th_DSCF2810.jpg

th_DSCF2823.jpg

th_DSCF2782.jpg

th_DSCF2794.jpg

Nice shots. :drool: We want to do that trip some day, too. We are seriously thinking next summer if the finances allow.

Dan

Some scenery

th_DSCF2786.jpg

My 2 girls

th_DSCF2783.jpg

More with the kids

th_DSCF2793.jpg

Some of the twisties

th_DSCF2807.jpg

th_DSCF2810.jpg

th_DSCF2823.jpg

th_DSCF2782.jpg

th_DSCF2794.jpg

Nice pics it's the only way, I travel scenic routes. My wife fly's cause she's boring and wants to get there as fast as possible. If, I'm going to my mother-inlaw in Myrtle beach for me it's a 3day trip. I love find new towns to visit. Years ago when, I flew into CA got a rental and drove up the coast to Napa valley it was incredible.

We took this very drive about a month ago with my family. We went north from the Hearst Castle to Montery. Beautiful twisty drive ,but glad I was an the inside lane. It's hard for the driver to sight see on CA Hwy. 1. I did'nt have the Shelby but I did see a bunch of 10' mustangs and a white/blue GT500 in the Montery. Fun stuff!

Enjoy them while you can. They grow up way too quickly. My daughter is 22 now and looks forward to our trips in the Shelby. That is a nice drive but it's been close to 25 years since I was there last. I was driving an 85 Z-28 Camaro at the time.

Jim :shift:

Archived