TEAM SHELBY FORUM

under hood wear

Alright guys, I did a preflight before dropping my 07 GT-H at the dealer for service and found a pretty bad wear spot under the hood. The hood has a bored out spot from the band clamp bolt on the intake to the throttle body. I also have a wear spot on the plastic intake leading to the throttle body caused by the hood insulation.

I can't find this topic so I'm hoping that someone has some advice.

The car is under warranty and the dealer called to say new insulation is on the way. My problem is the cause and effect. I don't think there is a problem with the insulation but the location of the band clamp. The service manager said the band clamp will be moved to prevent any more wear but there is a guide on the top for the clamp.

I feel like I should push the issue of the hood having a bored out wear spot due to the structural integrity. (sorry, I'm a pilot and a bit anal about fatigue)

I also would like the intake tube replaced due to the wear spot from the insulation. Am I on the right track here?

Sooooo, lets hear it from the "been there, done that" crew. I'm hoping that this has come up before.

Thank you in advance.

I doubt the integrity of the hood has been compromised they have center sections cut out to make room for the blower install. to include mine and it has been tested @ 155mph plus on many occasions.... here is the cutout if your wondering

28052008407.jpg

I doubt the integrity of the hood has been compromised they have center sections cut out to make room for the blower install. to include mine and it has been tested @ 155mph plus on many occasions.... here is the cutout if your wondering

28052008407.jpg

[/quote

Keep in mind I have a gt hertz with the other hood. The wear spot is about the diameter of a nickel and at least a centimeter deep.

I'm not comfortable with the wear but I want other opinions. As far as I'm concerned, the intake and hood should be replaced.

Alright guys, I did a preflight before dropping my 07 GT-H at the dealer for service and found a pretty bad wear spot under the hood. The hood has a bored out spot from the band clamp bolt on the intake to the throttle body. I also have a wear spot on the plastic intake leading to the throttle body caused by the hood insulation.

I can't find this topic so I'm hoping that someone has some advice.

The car is under warranty and the dealer called to say new insulation is on the way. My problem is the cause and effect. I don't think there is a problem with the insulation but the location of the band clamp. The service manager said the band clamp will be moved to prevent any more wear but there is a guide on the top for the clamp.

I feel like I should push the issue of the hood having a bored out wear spot due to the structural integrity. (sorry, I'm a pilot and a bit anal about fatigue)

I also would like the intake tube replaced due to the wear spot from the insulation. Am I on the right track here?

Sooooo, lets hear it from the "been there, done that" crew. I'm hoping that this has come up before.

Thank you in advance.

I have the CS6 hood and I have some rubbing issues from the hood liner in about the same location as you mentioned, mine is rubbing on the CAI elbow just past the TB. Nothing though where it is causing anything to be bored out on the hood . I understand the fitment of this hood on some of the Hertz cars is a problem. I'd check with a good body shop to see if they couldn't adjust the hood some from the hinges, maybe using some spacers. Also try adjusting the rubber stops located the the left and right of the radiator cover. If you do that then you'll have to adust your hood pins too. That helped make a minor adjustment. Bottom line though is I think most will tell you they have some clearance issues with this hood.

Dave

I'm not sure who approved it or even why but I have new insulation being installed by the dealer today.

I'm a little baffled by this one as the plastic intake to the throttle body is worn and the hood is also damaged. I don't recall seeing any damage to the insulation.

I'll keep you all updated and send pics when I get her back.

Guest hfrosso
Every time I see this post topic my mind reads underwear hoodie ?!?! anyone else have the same issue or is it just me :doh: ?

Andrew

I just see "underwear" :hysterical:

my hood and the GTH hood are the same as well as the CS6 hood there are newer generations with more clearance but mine and the GTH hood build dates would have the same generation hood. but as I was saying that hood @150mph+ is stable and uncompromised thanks for the comment though

hope they replace your hood if warranted

another thing with these hoods be careful on what aftermarket stuff you want under it (ie) steeda strut caps wont fit some aftermarket batteries wont fit hood struts are a no-no blowers will need to be cutout. andsome camber plates will not fit..

my hood and the GTH hood are the same as well as the CS6 hood there are newer generations with more clearance but mine and the GTH hood build dates would have the same generation hood. but as I was saying that hood @150mph+ is stable and uncompromised thanks for the comment though

hope they replace your hood if warranted

another thing with these hoods be careful on what aftermarket stuff you want under it (ie) steeda strut caps wont fit some aftermarket batteries wont fit hood struts are a no-no blowers will need to be cutout. andsome camber plates will not fit..

I agree with everything you've said except for the hood struts. I am using the Shelby strut kit with beefed up struts supplied by Keith from SPP. They are strong enough to hold up the hood. Other kits like the steeda kit would not hold the weight. My one clearance issue was where the strut lays when the hood is closed on the driver's side. The strut was making contact with the support bracket that holds the air conditioning tubes. Since the bracket is secured at the bottom, I removed the bolt and now no clearance issues. BTW, I saw your car at the Vegas bash in January so I see what I need to do if I go with the Whipple or Kenne Bell supercharger.

Dave

Here is an update. As of July 8th, the dealer informed me that I am receiving a new cold air intake tube due to the wear spot since there is no way to gauge the depth of the wear. My warranty is good for 10 more months and 14000 miles.

If I didn't mention it, I was told by the dealer that I am receiving a new insulation mat for the hood under warranty as well. I have no idea why! I'm more concerned with the bored out hole on my hood from the CAI band clamp than the insulation........

FYI, there are about ten 07 Hertz on Ebay right now and every one of the cars that have a photo of the engine have the same wear spot on the cold air intake just before the throttle body.

If I ever see my baby again, I'll take a picture of the wear spot on the hood...here is a photo of a intake with the wear from the hood/insulation.

post-25425-1247508827_thumb.jpg

post-25425-1247508827_thumb.jpg

Here is an update. As of July 8th, the dealer informed me that I am receiving a new cold air intake tube due to the wear spot since there is no way to gauge the depth of the wear. My warranty is good for 10 more months and 14000 miles.

If I didn't mention it, I was told by the dealer that I am receiving a new insulation mat for the hood under warranty as well. I have no idea why! I'm more concerned with the bored out hole on my hood from the CAI band clamp than the insulation........

FYI, there are about ten 07 Hertz on Ebay right now and every one of the cars that have a photo of the engine have the same wear spot on the cold air intake just before the throttle body.

If I ever see my baby again, I'll take a picture of the wear spot on the hood...here is a photo of a intake with the wear from the hood/insulation.

yep, the mark is in about the same place as mine was. I installed the Steeda CF CAI elbow and was able to adjust it down slightly so the hood liner still makes contact but doesn't rub as bad. It is very tight no matter what you do, unless you actually start to do some cutting out of the underside of the hood as others have done. I won't worry about that though until I buy a supercharger. :)

I simply took the Intake tube clamp and rotated it 180 (basically upside down) There's a guide like slot on both sides of the clamp. This stopped that contact point.

Rest assured - there's space between the underside (above the engine) and outside layers of this hood that is big enough to slide your hand between . . . . one little hole punched thru where the clamp dug in is not going to compromise the rigidity of the hood.

There's Legend Lime Green CS6 owner who had the underside of his hood completely custom done where he cut out all the center portion of the hood and had it reglassed/painted. Then had "Slimer" from Ghostbusters custom airbrushed/painted on it.

This is really what I would like to do on the underside of my CS6 hood!! Only some sort of CS logo or "Shelby GT/SC" once I get the supercharger thing done.

Here's the link -------> Modified the underside of my CS6 Hood

Same place as mine too...

DSC05647.jpgDSC05649.jpg

OK guys, I picked up the car from the dealer yesterday. It received a new cold air intake under warranty and a new hood insulation under warranty.

I screwed up and did not take a picture of the hood wear from the band clamp bolt before I took it in. Of course, now I have new insulation and can't see it.

I was told that the insulation was under warranty due to the wear from the band clamp bolt and the intake due to the wear from the insulation.

As someone mentioned before, the mechanic dremmiled off the guide nub on the intake near the throttle body and spun the band clamp under so that it would not wear the hood again.

On a side note, my plugs were fouled out causing high RPM backfiring and Performance sent an Email stating they could not verify the gas used was sufficient so they denied that claim. (I will be replacing the plugs as the dealer wanted $340 for labor :censored:

and the FAMOUS stripe problem was declined as well. I'm not sure what the response was for this one but I'm sure it was creative....acid rain, chemicals in wax, global warming.........

So at least I'm back on the road for the weekend.

RE: CS6 hood and rubbing.

I have 07SGT1638 and a Mod Shop CS6 hood install.

I noticed the rubbing on the underhood blanket within weeks of getting the car.

On the intake as noted and on the strut tower brace.

When I contacted SAI (the late SAI John Walker) I was told "yes some rubbing in these hoods..."

I removed the underhood blanket.

Still rubbing.

So, since I'm not overly anal about it, and I tend to avoid dealers, I took a hole saw and sawzall and have cut suitable clearance cutouts in the underside of the hood now. Rattle can spray painted underside (I know, I know...purists can cringe and swear at me now :censored: ). There's no structural issue, hood is solid to 120+ on the track

As someone else said, clearance under the CS6 hood is tight, strut tower caps etc depending on brand/type may not fit or may even rub as well. This is the trade-off for a cool looking hood.

Todd

07SGT1638

Archived