TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paying for your GT500

iceman

Thanks 5.4! The truth is that I can't take ANY credit for it.....If I cold do it alone than I would feel like I actually accomplished something.......Im just grateful that there is a solution to my dis-ease : )

J

:angel:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave is a great guy. :yup:

I think you could get him to be your friend for a bale of Hay. :hysterical:

How much do I owe you Rob? :hysterical:

I've been missing some of the discussion..so I'm not sure what to say here. I saw a comment about a grudge. I don't hold grudges...a grudge is when someone changes and another person says they won't acknowledge that change. I removed the ignore and went back and read the posts...so I'm in for the group hug now.

As for the bale of hay, well...I think you know...all's fair in hay and straw. :hysterical:

P.S. Shelby, where are you that you're close to me? Are you the person near Greensburg, IN?

Dave

Guys I know it will sound like I am bragging or that I am a rich man but I am not! lets just say that a lot of things fell into place over the last year. I also had 19 months of savings and I was able to buy my car out right.

Other than my Children being born and marrying my wonderful wife who I may say did support me getting my Shelby. The proudest day of my life was the day I got the title clear and free to my BABY! I may have moved some things around so I could buy it and I am so glad I did.This car is the best thing in the world for me to do to release stress! Thanks and I hope everyone in the world gets the chance to at least drive one someday.

It's that mentality that is driving this over-inflated market. Ford will make as many of these as they can. It is selling like hotcakes. They won't stop making them until they aren't selling well. Hau Tai Tang himself said they were "going to make one for everyone that wants one."

This needless sense of urgency needs to go away.

Really. do you own one of these cars and what was your ADM. I live in SO. Califorina and have had mine for 2 months now and have yet to see another another one on the road ecxcept for the one's on the Dealers show room floors with $25.000 to 30.000 ADM'S as of last week Vista Ford in Woodland Hiils,ca had 2 and that was there ADM'S on both of them. So my questions is are they really making as many as they are leading us to beleive and the 2007 Model is the 1st one built in 40 years. So maybe you might be able to get a 2008 for MSRP but the 2007 run is probaly done.

How much do I owe you Rob? :hysterical:

I've been missing some of the discussion..so I'm not sure what to say here. I saw a comment about a grudge. I don't hold grudges...a grudge is when someone changes and another person says they won't acknowledge that change. I removed the ignore and went back and read the posts...so I'm in for the group hug now.

As for the bale of hay, well...I think you know...all's fair in hay and straw. :hysterical:

P.S. Shelby, where are you that you're close to me? Are you the person near Greensburg, IN?

Dave

Last night got way out of hand. I got too deep into it to stop. I realize you guys are tired of hearing it. I'll try to keep it down. It is just that I think the urgency is not as bad as people think and I hated to see it perpetuated. Now that I have my deal(s) in place, I'll try to stay out of it. I still feel that way, but, understand your viewpoint as well.

Dave, glad to be off your ignore. That is the first time I have ever driven anyone to that point. I live in Muncie (I'm sure you know this, but,) about 40 mi north of Indy just off I-69. Home of Ball State University. I have been calling/stopping by the Indy dealers. None of them will commit to MSRP, yet.

Really. do you own one of these cars and what was your ADM. I live in SO. Califorina and have had mine for 2 months now and have yet to see another another one on the road ecxcept for the one's on the Dealers show room floors with $25.000 to 30.000 ADM'S as of last week Vista Ford in Woodland Hiils,ca had 2 and that was there ADM'S on both of them. So my questions is are they really making as many as they are leading us to beleive and the 2007 Model is the 1st one built in 40 years. So maybe you might be able to get a 2008 for MSRP but the 2007 run is probaly done.

Well, we killed the argument last night and I don't want to open it again. I'm not arguing here, just clarifying the post.

I have purchased and/or shopped for Mustangs since 1983 when I bought my first one. The special editions are always "limited", but, Ford Churns them out until they are not selling. They announced a 1 year run of the Mach 1 with a production limit of 6000 cars. They ended up with a 2 year run and 16,000 cars. I really think they would have gone longer if the restyle had not happened. I don't remember how many Terminators they promised, but, they ended up making almost 14,000 of them the first year. 2nd year production was seriously hampered by the announcement of the new body style. That is why I waited on the 2005 Cobra. Well, the 2005 Cobra never happened. It showed up in 2007 as the GT500. Ford is in the business of making money and they really need to make it now. What benefit would there be to Ford to limit the production of these cars? None. They get a profit for each one they sell.

Brad Barnett interviewed HTT at Detroit last year. The interview used to be on the members only page of TMS. I don't know if it still is. HTT said directly on there "we will make one for everyone that wants one."

Many, many other cars have done this as well. Corvettes, Miatas, PT Cruisers, M5s, M3s, Audis and on and on. They always fill the demand (aside from super exotics like Carrera GTs).

The dealerships want you to feel the extreme urgency to keep the hype alive and get you to pay the extra dough. Why do you think so many dealers are telling customers about lower production numbers and shorter runs than Ford has already announced? To feed the hype.

To answer your question. No I do not have one. I am waiting for the hype to die down. I believe it will and am willing to wait until it does. There are still a bunch of cars that are unsold. Call around. So Cal may be sold out, but, the rest of the country is not.

OK, I'd like to kill this now.

All -

Thanks for the info and options. I learned a few things and finally decided that I liked the option of the drawn out loan with no pre-payment penalty so I did call US bank and get the 84 mo. loan at 6.9% actually. I spoke to the sales guy and we came to terms at 10K over pending the appraisal of my car and I was to bring it in on Thursday night.....well, my little girl that has been in the NICU since birth on 8/30 is fighting a nasty virus and we found out she needed to go in for surgery today so I told him I wouldn't be able to get in until Sat. for the appraisal. He was cool with it but told me they were still trying to sell it but when even this car is compared to this little girl it's no contest. I figured if it was meant to be it would be. Surgery went well and I was home at 2pm so I called the dealer and turned on insurance to take my car out of storage for the winter and drive it over to the dealer and he told me they got an offer on it for 61K on e-bay (a few K over the 10K I was at). I told him that's interesting since the buy it now was at 59,900 on there and if I was him I'd take that offer. I told him my offer and to call me back if he wanted me to bring the car in for the appraisal. I suppose he sold it for either 59,000 or to some one for 61K because bidding is done and he's not called me back.

I actually don't regret it - My little girl is doing well and I have my $ approved and ready to go for the next opportunity....the temp dropped from 50 to 25 and now I feel good about saving the $ and waiting until the price drops or I could drive it alittle more. That being said if he calls back tonight and says let's make a deal I will be there in a second but I'm not at all upset. I think I'll get one closer to if not at MSRP and at the risk of opening the can of worms back up I think this car will in fact be made as long as it sells....I was just willing to pay the price to get it now when it wat at my fingertips....I'm personally against paying the ADM (not against others payinging it - just me) so it probably worked out for the best. Thanks to all who were open with the financing options.....Oh and for the record:

I talked to JJ Best - they offered the 10yr loan but the rate was higher and that is too long for me even with no pre-payment....the real issue was they said it is not a classic when the lady ran it and they would not do 10 yrs on this car....although maybe one day they will :)

I also looked at the home equity line and lones - I opted against it because I have a thing about paying off my home and am getting close and don't want to run it up - the equitly line of credit I have is prime but then there is no true end date and something about that goal makes me feel good.

In anycase the US Bank folks were really easy to deal with - did the loan approval in 1 minute or so while I was on the phone. The only draw back is they are not a big bank here so i have to go to some little town with a branch to close it if i find one to buy but I liked them and thank you all again for the info.

Regards & happy driving...or hunting what ever the case may be regarding your Shelby.

Last night got way out of hand. I got too deep into it to stop. I realize you guys are tired of hearing it. I'll try to keep it down. It is just that I think the urgency is not as bad as people think and I hated to see it perpetuated. Now that I have my deal(s) in place, I'll try to stay out of it. I still feel that way, but, understand your viewpoint as well.

Dave, glad to be off your ignore. That is the first time I have ever driven anyone to that point. I live in Muncie (I'm sure you know this, but,) about 40 mi north of Indy just off I-69. Home of Ball State University. I have been calling/stopping by the Indy dealers. None of them will commit to MSRP, yet.

No problem 5.4. Yes, I know Muncie. Maybe meet in Indy sometime.

I have to go watch the 8 pm movie.

See u late tonight everyone.

Dave hayboy out

If this is too intrusive please forgive me. I am dangerously close to buying my car at 10K over as a local dealer has one on the floor for that and I have been willing to go to 55K in the past. This one happens to be the color combo, etc. that I want and it's sitting there calling me. I spoke to them today and am taking my 05 in for appraisal on a trade Thursday afternoon. I am split on this right now as i really do believe the price will come down and am not stuck on an 07 but damn I want this thing.

I am trying to talk myself out of it - out of the payment for 4 months of weather I couldn't, shouldn't, wouldn't drive it in, out of gettin this just before Job 2 starts and the suspension is tweaked (of corse assuming better but who knows has anyone heard what the change is?). I've done well up to the point where there is one close to my line in the sand (which should be MSRP but I am impatient) and local willing to give me a fair trade in value, or so they say.

In any case I was wondering if those people that have financed the car wouldn't mind sharing some info about who they used, how long, payments, what ever. I am looking at a few options includeing a longer term loan, Home Equity loan, and paying cash, but I don't really want to pull 40-50K out of my cash right now with holidays looming.....although I could put a from Santa to me tag on it and get away with it I'm sure.

Anyway - I'm not looking for a financial advisor, just wondering what others are doing around the payment of these as I've never paid over 40K for a car so it's a big investment for me...for a toy none the less. My initial thoughts is to set the payment at a reasonable amount for me like $500-600/mo and take as little out of pocket as possible and stretch payments out as long as I can since i don't plan on ever giving this one up and can get a loan rate in the low to mid 6%'s with my credit score. I am not yet sure if i can get a term longer than 72 months. Anyone have any thoughts???? Or good stock tips while I'm at it.

$10K over MSRP and sold other toys to pay cash. My next one will be a GT-H one way or the other. More toys going, going gone! One hobby for another....

get ready ..I paid 25 over...thats right....it was that or not get one....I have posted in another therad the whys and where fores..in short I live in silicon valley, p[plenty of money here….and it was buy it now, wait for a possible delivery in 6-9 months or not get one at all......I got first shot at the dealer because I bought a 05 gt and a T bird for the wife off the floor last year...there were literally 3 people waiting to see the car and test drive it when I was there...I was fist in line..and believe me when I tell you, if I didn't pull the tirigger, one of them would have....a very large well know dealer in san fran was selling them at 28-30 over and had a wait list of 165 people....they had 12 which sold in 3 days....so thats that..did I over pay? well that depends on your outlook....sure I did but, its that or go home in my GT..which they gave me a very good trade in deal on as a down payment...what can I say..its in MY driveway…

and it chirps in all gears...hahahahahahahahaha the shifter is like is butter....

I just want to make a few points.......We are all fortunate people. We live in the greatest country in the world, we have choices, and we have the freedom to make them. It's cool that we disagree but I choose not to take anything said by another member on this site to get under my skin. It's a win win guys. Those of us that paid ADM's are driving the car and loving it. Those that are waiting can feel good about saving their cash. What's the problem?

I paid 20k over sticker for mine. I have no idea if this car will end up being a collectible. However, I do know that this car was produced during Mr Shelby's life and with his involvement. . He wont be with us forever. I hope he lives to 150!! But, when he passes on the car will most likely go up in value. t the end of the day, all that matters is "AM I HAVING FUN"!

The car is a monster! I went to Galpin Ford, they had the car I wanted, I went home slept on it, came back the next day and bought it. I am an adult, I made a decision that fit my wants and needs. I completely agree with the guy who said that there are many cars that have big ADM's only to end up being all hype. It's a fact and it almost always happens. In my case I dont care, I wanted the car when I wanted it. I also want an F430 Ferrari, but I can't allow myself to pay 100K over sticker. I also want to build an infiniti pool in my back yard etc.....I will have to wait on those...I din't think twice about paying 20K over for the SHELBY and I will NEVER regret it for one second.

I had a meeting on wednesday with a guy how was a driver for the Robb Report car of the year competition.

He drove all 20 cars, Bugatti, 911 Turbo, Lambo's etc......The most fun car in his and MANY other drivers opinion was the SHELBY!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.

Jason

good for you and I was in the same boat as my previous post implied....if you want it you gotta pay the freight....it won’t be here in 2 years so there ya go…I loved the techies signatures on the Shelby blower brace too…..did you get a framed print signed by Carroll Shelby?

I just want to make a few points.......We are all fortunate people. We live in the greatest country in the world, we have choices, and we have the freedom to make them. It's cool that we disagree but I choose not to take anything said by another member on this site to get under my skin. It's a win win guys. Those of us that paid ADM's are driving the car and loving it. Those that are waiting can feel good about saving their cash. What's the problem?

I paid 20k over sticker for mine. I have no idea if this car will end up being a collectible. However, I do know that this car was produced during Mr Shelby's life and with his involvement. . He wont be with us forever. I hope he lives to 150!! But, when he passes on the car will most likely go up in value. t the end of the day, all that matters is "AM I HAVING FUN"!

The car is a monster! I went to Galpin Ford, they had the car I wanted, I went home slept on it, came back the next day and bought it. I am an adult, I made a decision that fit my wants and needs. I completely agree with the guy who said that there are many cars that have big ADM's only to end up being all hype. It's a fact and it almost always happens. In my case I dont care, I wanted the car when I wanted it. I also want an F430 Ferrari, but I can't allow myself to pay 100K over sticker. I also want to build an infiniti pool in my back yard etc.....I will have to wait on those...I din't think twice about paying 20K over for the SHELBY and I will NEVER regret it for one second.

I had a meeting on wednesday with a guy how was a driver for the Robb Report car of the year competition.

He drove all 20 cars, Bugatti, 911 Turbo, Lambo's etc......The most fun car in his and MANY other drivers opinion was the SHELBY!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.

Jason

All I have to say is .....VERY WELL PUT............. :happy feet: :headspin:

The cancer example is a poor one. Totally diff situation.

I really don't care if you or anyone else is tired of my anti-ADM posts. They will not stop. Feel free to use the ignore feature. Just because you don't agree with my opinion, does not give you the right to tell me to stop.

I didn't say anything about people paying ADM. I said the false sense of urgency was rediculous. You guys have all bought into this hype. The car will be available to anyone who wants one. You will see. I just hate to see so many people suckered into paying way too much for a car. You are right, It is up to you. If you choose to spend it, feel free. That isn't going to stop me from complaining about it. I have already made 2 deals this week for MSRP on '08 cars. I'll hate the wait, but, it isn't worth $15k extra to get it 6 months sooner.

Here here , Ford is not stupid, this is one of the best things to happen to them in a long time and with their finacial situation, they are for sure reprioritsing the production of 500's and all Mustangs in general.

There is virtually no other product selling for more than it is worth and the hype is sure to be short lived.

I don't for a second think they are going to reduce the specs to lower their costs for 08 but rather announce an extention into 09 or increase production in 08.

I would like to know if the MSRP deals were for you difficult to negotiate or is this easier due to the trend we're talking about?

Curious observer

Michael

Here here , Ford is not stupid, this is one of the best things to happen to them in a long time and with their finacial situation, they are for sure reprioritsing the production of 500's and all Mustangs in general.

There is virtually no other product selling for more than it is worth and the hype is sure to be short lived.

I don't for a second think they are going to reduce the specs to lower their costs for 08 but rather announce an extention into 09 or increase production in 08.

I would like to know if the MSRP deals were for you difficult to negotiate or is this easier due to the trend we're talking about?

Curious observer

Michael

Michael,

Those who got an MSRP deal usually were those who locked them in a 9 mos to a year ago or so. I believe that most of these dealers did not know that they had a hot one at that time. You will be hard pressed to find a MSRP deal now. CS has signed a 2 year run with Ford, and a set production number of about 8-10 thousand cars for each year. It is not up to Ford alone to do as they please. CS has to agree.

Rob

Curious observer

Michael

Mike,

I have been working on one of these dealers for years, the other about 9 months. I got in line a long time ago for them and have stayed in contact. My best advice for you is to try to work an MSRP deal now for an '08. If they say yes and you find one sooner, back out of the '08 deal and buy the first one. If they say no, accept that without a fight and stay in contact occasionally with the dealer(s). You will prob have to work on several dealers and I would recommend visiting in person the first time at least. My gut feeling is that eventually you will find one.

Is true that CS and Ford only have a 2 year deal. I don't know if it will go 3. I have a feeling if Ford offers him a 7 figure deal for another year or 2, he'll be happy to accept it.

Good luck, I hope you find your deal.

Kevin

Mike,

I have been working on one of these dealers for years, the other about 9 months. I got in line a long time ago for them and have stayed in contact. My best advice for you is to try to work an MSRP deal now for an '08. If they say yes and you find one sooner, back out of the '08 deal and buy the first one. If they say no, accept that without a fight and stay in contact occasionally with the dealer(s). You will prob have to work on several dealers and I would recommend visiting in person the first time at least. My gut feeling is that eventually you will find one.

Is true that CS and Ford only have a 2 year deal. I don't know if it will go 3. I have a feeling if Ford offers him a 7 figure deal for another year or 2, he'll be happy to accept it.

Good luck, I hope you find your deal.

Kevin

Kevin,

I have some questions about your comments of striking a deal and then backing out of it if a sweeter deal comes along. My questions are these:

1. Assuming you put money down on your deal, what will you do if they do not want to give it back?

2. Do you have them right into the contract something like "If I change my mind at any time, I can give you no notice and you have to refund my deposit". ?

3. Do you also give them the option of changing their mind at the last minute with no notice ?

I am not looking at getting into another pissing match with you on this, but there is a code of conduct I follow when I do business with someone, and I expect them to do the same. :shrug:

If you need to worry how your going to pay for ANYTHING then the time is not right to buy it! JMHO..........

I don't know if this was a dig at me for asking about options or not so I won't get too upset over it. The point was not I don't have the $ help me find a way, it was to find out what others are doing incase I could learn of something that made more sense to me. I was heavily leaning toward a cash purchase but finding out all I can prior to signing is important to me...Iwant to consider all of the options.

As luck would have it the sales guy called me back today asking if i would still be interested. It seems his deal over my offer fell through so I may still be geting this at 10K over - we'll see.

One question for all of you and this is probably deserving of it's own thread so if anyone wants to start one go for it - I'm off to bed here shortly....What is the Job 2 changes? Any one know the details? Specifically around the suspention?

Thanks

I don't know if this was a dig at me for asking about options or not so I won't get too upset over it. The point was not I don't have the $ help me find a way, it was to find out what others are doing incase I could learn of something that made more sense to me. I was heavily leaning toward a cash purchase but finding out all I can prior to signing is important to me...Iwant to consider all of the options.

As luck would have it the sales guy called me back today asking if i would still be interested. It seems his deal over my offer fell through so I may still be geting this at 10K over - we'll see.

One question for all of you and this is probably deserving of it's own thread so if anyone wants to start one go for it - I'm off to bed here shortly....What is the Job 2 changes? Any one know the details? Specifically around the suspention?

Thanks

Sorry .................no dig, intended

Kevin,

I have some questions about your comments of striking a deal and then backing out of it if a sweeter deal comes along. My questions are these:

1. Assuming you put money down on your deal, what will you do if they do not want to give it back?

2. Do you have them right into the contract something like "If I change my mind at any time, I can give you no notice and you have to refund my deposit". ?

3. Do you also give them the option of changing their mind at the last minute with no notice ?

I am not looking at getting into another pissing match with you on this, but there is a code of conduct I follow when I do business with someone, and I expect them to do the same. :shrug:

Rob,

(edit - it is my understanding that) In most states deposits are refundable by law. Check with your state. Yes we are writing it into the contract. If they try to sell it out from under me, I'm not likely to pursue any legal action anyway. Not worth it. Lawsuits suck.

I am a handshake, good ole' boy kinda business man. I'm a little offended that you are implying I am not. I lost an MSRP deal to an ADM buyer early on because of my code of conduct (kinda hints at why I am such an ADM hater). I have been upfront with both dealers and told them that I am trying to find one sooner. They understand and have said that with this car, they don't care as it will sell easily anyway (one of them said as long as I don't order a pink one).

I will either decide which one well before it is produced or go ahead and buy it for a friend. What I am really waiting on is to see if any of the end of '07 buyers or the '08 buyer that is in front of me backs out. This bumps me up to sooner. If it doesn't happen before June, I'll cancel or turn it over to a friend as said above.

Rob,

In most states deposits are refundable by law. Check with your state. Yes we are writing it into the contract. If they try to sell it out from under me, I'm not likely to pursue any legal action anyway. Not worth it. Lawsuits suck.

I am a handshake, good ole' boy kinda business man. I'm a little offended that you are implying I am not. I lost an MSRP deal to an ADM buyer early on because of my code of conduct (kinda hints at why I am such an ADM hater). I have been upfront with both dealers and told them that I am trying to find one sooner. They understand and have said that with this car, they don't care as it will sell easily anyway (one of them said as long as I don't order a pink one).

I will either decide which one well before it is produced or go ahead and buy it for a friend. What I am really waiting on is to see if any of the end of '07 buyers or the '08 buyer that is in front of me backs out. This bumps me up to sooner. If it doesn't happen before June, I'll cancel or turn it over to a friend as said above.

I would like to see what your contract says. Here is mine. It is a standard new vehicle purchase contract used in Oregon and Washington. Can you share yours? Note: See the Red writing.

Edit: I noticed you said, your writing it into the contract. So you have no contract ? I very much want to see that write in. It is hard to believe a dealer would write that in.

I would like to see what your contract says. Here is mine. It is a standard new vehicle purchase contract used in Oregon and Washington. Can you share yours? Note: See the Red writing.

Edit: I noticed you said, your writing it into the contract. So you have no contract ? I very much want to see that write in. It is hard to believe a dealer would write that in.

I am going tomorrow afternoon to write it all out at one of them. The other will be as soon as I can go. I have been on call everyday since I made the phone deal and have not been able to go to the dealers that are 2 hours away in different directions.

They said they would write it in. IF they don't, the deposit will be small (like $500). If I lose it, so what.

I'll either post it or PM it to you when I can. My scanner is broken, but, I plan to buy one this week.

I am going tomorrow afternoon to write it all out at one of them. The other will be as soon as I can go. I have been on call everyday since I made the phone deal and have not been able to go to the dealers that are 2 hours away in different directions.

I'll either post it or PM it to you when I can. My scanner is broken, but, I plan to buy one this week.

I have no scanner. I just shot a photo of it. Anyways, I am sure you will see alot of stuff on that contract that is similar to mine. Ordering a new car is like ordering a new house. The down payment is earnest money here in the NW, and non refundable if one decides to change his mind, at least that is what the paperwork says. Good luck on your deal.

Archived