TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future value of the GT500

old guy

I remember it being that way towards the end of '08 when I bought my Bullitt, and the end of '09 when I bought my KR. The cars were just sitting on lots as nobody was buying Mustangs then (or other cars)... '07-'10, people just weren't spending their $. While I've read and heard of the hype on the first '07 GT500s (and first KRs), I think it was mainly created by dealers to boost sales, more than it was reality. If there was any shortage, it was 'cause dealers weren't ordering; they didn't want them sitting unsold.

There are always those early adopters who need to be the first on their block to have that new whatever, and those guys are willing to pay for that privilege. Car dealers love those guys. :)

When I bought the KR (@ about $8K under MSRP), long-time dealer salespeople were telling me that sales were slower than they ever knew.

BINGO!!!! It is amazing how many dealers used to frequent this forum back then compared to now, most of them talking about ADM's going on for years to come. They all started to fizzle away the same time as the ADM's which was also the same time the supply greatly outweighed the demand.

I will say this, they had most on this forum hook, line, and sinker buying into their garbage.

It was not all of them, but it was certainly the majority.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FACT: The disappearance of the ADM's at that time was economy driven. '07 economy was strong and then the news about the trouble with the banks and mortgage backed securities took over. Market took a nose dive and Ford's stock got down to $1.26 per share on Nov. 19, 2008. I promptly purchased my '09 GT500 in early December for less than sticker (which in my opinion was what the car was always worth). Others who had been patient also were able to take advantage of the downturn in the economy and the impact it had on Ford at the time. Had the economy continued its previous growth pattern, the ADM's would have continued.... and I would have never paid that much for a Shelby GT500 and chosen something else.

All this talk about any SHELBY being worth a certain amount of money now and into the future is simply speculative. There is no guarantee, no reference point, and no comparable history to warrant any proof whatsoever that any car produced from 2007 - today from Shelby or SVT with a Shelby name on it will have a future growth pattern or a loss pattern. Value will always be determined by the market at that time. And if you can accurately depict what the market/economy will look like in the future you would be the first person on the planet able to do so.

Just go enjoy your cars and lets lighten up the tone a bit on the forum.

Guys, If you had read the post sideoiler made about the old Shelbys over on the other forum it's obvious he doesn't like the old ones either. In fact it was almost word for word what "speedyman" said a few months ago about the 7500 mile barn find GT500 in Pennsylvania that ultimately got him banned. Based on their sentence structure and antagonistic demeanor my bet is sideoiler and speedyman are the same person. He is just one of those people who for some reason likes to stir the pot. He claims to be an older guy but I've never once heard an old guy refer to another guy as "dude". That's 20-30 year old lingo. I can't for the life of me understand why someone who doesn't like something wants to participate on a forum dedicated to that marque. It would be like me joining a Chevy forum....

... I can't for the life of me understand why someone who doesn't like something wants to participate on a forum dedicated to that marque. It would be like me joining a Chevy forum....

Maybe he's on the payroll of GM or Chrysler/Fiat... :yup:

This is the "reality" that I remember and documented from 2008-2010................CSX car carrier rail cars stored on siding tracks in central Florida. "Usually" these tracks were always empty and occasionally a phosphate train would travel on them between the mines. The pictures below are rail cars that were moved from the Jacksonville terminal to storage in central Florida. There were very few cars being sold (and moved around the state or country), no one was buying anything.

These rail cars (hundreds of them) were sitting idle on these tracks for months, and I could only take pictures of the ones that ran along the road, there were many, many more. I'm sure that Polk County Florida was not the only place these cars were stored. It was such a strange site to see car carriers sitting in the middle of phosphate country...............for months!

Picture1474_zpsa2598adc.jpg

Picture1476_zpsa94244c8.jpg

Picture1475_zps1c6d8287.jpg

Picture1477_zpscc066df7.jpg

Picture1480_zps04c588c9.jpg

Picture1479_zpsb7dbefae.jpg

Picture1478_zps3e115ff0.jpg

No wonder dealers and manufacturers were doing what they had to do to move vehicles................no one was buying anything and the inventories were heavy, the economy was in the dirt..........

^^^And this was reality through the time period we are discussing. Definitely not a time that could be compared to any other "normal" sales time.

R

I honestly do not see how sideoiler is a troll, because some do not agree with his opinion??? Man this forum is getting closed minded. I love my Shelby, but some of you take it to a level that is Outrageous. Yes he is a little harsh, I would tone it down. But he doesn't feel a 2007 is worth over $30K, what is wrong with that? He also showed proof that 0% interest was provided. I remember those days well, many folks saying ADM's would go on for years, they ended rather quickly, under MSRP was available in the second year. It was not until the 2011 all aluminum engine that demand came back some, then in 2013 it came back Huge for obvious reasons, they are 2 totally different cars. Low mileage examples might be worth something someday, but MUCH MUCH less than if you had invested that money.

Drive your cars and enjoy them, they are not investments, anyone that bought them for investment purposes made a bad decision, that is why so many were pissed when they kept making them after Ford said they would be a limited edition.

Just my 2 cents

I am not going to comment on whether Sideoiler is a troll but I will point out that while he likes to swim in the Shelby pool with the rest of the members he likes to pee in the water a lot. He will always point to the bottom or the extreme negative as though that is the norm for these cars but then profess they are "massively" cool etc...

What guys are saying here is that while SO can point to some internet article that 0 % financing was available the facts on the ground were much much different until the market took a dump in 9/08. I personally remember trying to buy my very own '09 KR from a dealer right before the crash and he wanted a $15K ADM. He had just sold two previous for $100K. I then figured I would buy a regular GT500 and went to another dealer down the street that had a new 2007. White with blue stripes. Classic colors. He wanted a $15K ADM on the 2007! I offered list. He refused. I walked. That was pretty much the reality back then.

The market crashes. I stop back in to look at the 2007 GT500 and now he wants to sell it to me for his cost plus $200.00. I then buy the same KR in October 2009 the other dealer wanted $100K for for $62K. The market killed everything in its path.

2007 GT500s while produced in far greater numbers then Ford said they would make them are still pretty rare. You really don't see them that often on the road and when you do it's a nice day on a weekend usually. Never during the day to day weekday madness. I least I don't recall seeing any.

I really haven't looked at the market on the 2007 GT500 lately but last I did to buy a nice one with fairly low mileage (weekend mileage) you were easily in the mid 30's. If you bought the car at list of $45K that is really not bad resale. Its only if you paid the Hamburgler his ADM you got hurt.

It will take awhile because in the near time frame everyone wants the latest and greatest. Some pinheads are just about horsepower adn which car is faster and lose sight that some cars have other attributes that more than make up for the fact they have less horsepower. As an example some young guy said he would rather have a new Mustang because it was more powerful than a rarer Mustang. I my reply was that then by his logic he would rather have 5.0 Fox body over a '65 Shelby GT350.

I think it will take another 10 years but I believe the first year 2007 GT500s and the last year with their massive power will be desirable to collector and "classic" car guys and values will rise. The rarer Shelby GTs, Hertz's, SS and KRs that actually were born at SAI and much rarer even more so.

There are some cars that have immediately out of the box acquired collector status. Eg. the FGT which Carroll did have a roll in. I had one guy ask if I would trade mine for his McClaren even up. I said no way. Whether he was serious or not not sure but the answer would be no.

Some cars are destined to be classics and will in time. A number of Shelbys from between 2007 and 2014 are in that grouping. If SO was really smart he would buy one while they are relatively inexpensive. .

Yes. Exactly right SO. New models will usually eclipse previous models. That's how the industry stays alive. However, there are always cars from the past that become desired by collectors and enthusiasts. These cars are usually ones that were very desired when new, limited in quantity and/or have other factors tangible or intangible. Shelby's have always been at the top of that list. Especially the very limited Shelby's.

The overall number of even standard GT500s is limited when you look at the total number of vehicles on the road and produced. Tiny actually. Again how often do you see a GT500 except at a show or cruise night? The Shelby's actually born at SAI even less.

There is an intangible enjoyment in owning a Shelby not only for its performance but it's link to heritage and storied history that is valued by enthusiasts.

While predicting future values is speculation some cars have a history that there is no reason to think won't be repeated unless as you stated there is no fuel in 30 years. In that case every combustion vehicle is junk .

I agree that you don't buy a car for investment. Foolish. However if you can buy one that you love and at the same time it has a better chance of being desired by collectors in the future..thats the play.

"peeing in the water" excellent analogy!! Here is a thread he went back two months to find a pot to stir.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/68809-help-validating-1967-gt500/page-2

You go on a Shelby forum and tell owners their cars are heaps, stink, etc. Just trying to stir up $hit. Isn't that what a troll does then when someone calls them out they start the childish insults.

+1 but not peeing, more like dumping a truckload of manure in the water.

Then when the personal insults started flying when anyone disagreed I lost even more respect for him and the moderators. But to a degree about the future prices I do agree with him (or her). These cars are not investments. Especially these days of rapidly and dramatically changing times. He's right, in a few years gasoline powered vehicles may be out of style for electric instead, or maybe something else, like hydrogen. No one knows. Enjoy the cars now. I sold my old '72 "heap" to get in on all the fun.

Good idea to sell the old "heap" and go with the new. The Shelby GT question that you posed earlier is an interesting one. I tossed that around with a friend who is a member of a family that owns and operates numerous car dealerships. They also handle the highline and collector stuff when it becomes available. His feelings were such that the Shelby GTs would likely fair well with the passage of more time. They are gorgeous Mustangs for sure. There was talk of a retrofit package for the transplantation of 5.0 Coyote into the Shelby GT. That would be a very interesting project. Haven't seen anything here in that regard.

The thoughts of "charging up" your muscle car may play well with a 20 year olds mindset but is not inviting at all to someone my age. Ironic to observe the worlds oil markets in freefall as supplies grow at the same time the development of alternative energy sources for transportation are in full swing.

Hmmm. Cheaper oil. Lower gas prices. Muscle car demand increase. Excellent!

Yep , you all should sell your worthless KRs and take the money and buy as much Solyndra stock as possible. I'm not a broker or a moderator but, I played one once on the internet. :skateboard:

Hey, Albino...Brandon is running 2:17s at the Glenn on street tires in his SGT. He's thinking of caging and going the last 10% with it to a full American Iron car it but is on the fence. He loves your SGT!

Hey, Albino...Brandon is running 2:17s at the Glenn on street tires in his SGT. He's thinking of caging and going the last 10% with it to a full American Iron car it but is on the fence. He loves your SGT!

Brandon is doing great with his SGT(we talk) I'm trying to get him (and his dad) to pull the trigger and go for it. I should probably try to get him to come out west and take mine for a spin on Laguna Seca - that would push him over the fence ! ;)

Sounds like we are getting our moneys worth out of that crystal ball. You have had more people than I can remember tell you that none of these cars constitute any form of an investment and you obviously have not listened to any of us. There is always a guy out there that knows it all. LOL.

I don't think I said they were investments. You need to read more carefully . It's post #93. Read out loud.. It helps with comprehension.

Today's announcement may drive GT500 prices down further if the 2016 GT350 is priced at less than the 2014 GT500.

Agree... especially if the GT350 winds up being a superior car.

It was starting to get Civil again, let's not go backwords.....

As far as Shelby GT's, I do not think they are much different then the GT500. Yes they are much more limited, but they are far from investments, they will continue to go down in value as well. Does that make you feel better???

Anyone with a double digit IQ who reads a few of your posts understands that you have expectations of significant appreciation. Walk it back if you want. It really doesn't matter what you believe. Hope it works out for ya Dude but the deck is stacked against you as many here have attempted to tell you. Enjoy.

I do believe certain cars will appreciate in time. Many have in the past and others will in the future. Shelby's are on the list of many to enjoy and hold.

Btw..do you even own a Shelby?

Archived