TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for current SS owners

I've wanted to do the 725 HP SS conversion ever since I bought my '07 GT500. I haven't contacted Shelby yet to see if it's even still available for the '07's because right now I'm still not in a financial position to have it done but I wanted to get some feedback from current Super Snake owners as to reliability and driveablity.

After the conversion have you experienced any negative issues? Is it still as reliable as it was? I would want to feel confident with the car if I wanted to drive it long distances. Did the driveability change or does it still feel like the original car as long as you stay out of it? I hope that one of these days I can do this but I want to be as informed as possible before I make that decision. Thanks.

Guest markham51

Its an amazing conversion. It remains very drivable, not too tight (suspension) and other than a check engine light which was fixed thanks to my Ford tech at local deakership, no further issues. 100pct happy with it.

I absolutely love my 725 HP SS! It drives like a dream and is manageable as long as you give it the respect it deserves. I had a check engine light as well which Kenne Bell and my local Ford dealer solved very easiliy. No problems other than that.

It easier to drive now than it was before. The lower rear end gears seem to help allot. 100% happy with my 725 conversion. You can drive this car anywhere and everyday. Honestly I think the exhaust is too quite.

Do any of you guy's with the 725hp car's have any problem driving the car at low speed's ? I just got my SS and I find the throttle to be tooo touchy at low speeds. Like if you are driving in a parade and need to be just off a idle, the car is very jerky, I can't seem to push on the accelerator light enough for a smooth transition from idle to get the car to go a little faster. Just wondering if they are all like that

Thanks

It easier to drive now than it was before. The lower rear end gears seem to help allot. 100% happy with my 725 conversion. You can drive this car anywhere and everyday. Honestly I think the exhaust is too quite.

Lee - The optional Super Snake 700 full JBA 3" from the SPP catalog helps with the low db issue, I added FRPP ceramic shortys also.

Picturedownload5-2-09035-1.jpg

Picturedownload5-2-09035.jpg

R

Do any of you guy's with the 725hp car's have any problem driving the car at low speed's ? I just got my SS and I find the throttle to be tooo touchy at low speeds. Like if you are driving in a parade and need to be just off a idle, the car is very jerky, I can't seem to push on the accelerator light enough for a smooth transition from idle to get the car to go a little faster. Just wondering if they are all like that

Thanks

Take the traction control off. It is very jerky with traction control on in 1st and 2nd gear.

Mine was fine with the stock supercharger. It was after the KB was installed that it became problematic.

Mine has the Kenny Bell to, I been driving standards trans all my life, now with this at slow speeds it looks like I've never driven one before lol

Has anyone talked to Kenny Bell about this? maybe we could get a refined tune for the car's. I had similar issues with the early 6.0L diesel I had, turned out to be just the programing for the computer

Mine has the Kenny Bell to, I been driving standards trans all my life, now with this at slow speeds it looks like I've never driven one before lol

Has anyone talked to Kenny Bell about this? maybe we could get a refined tune for the car's. I had similar issues with the early 6.0L diesel I had, turned out to be just the programing for the computer

I have the same issue as you, and first noticed it when I went to SAI to pick up the car and took it for a test drive.

I'm not convinced that it is as much a KB or tune/throttle issue as it appears to me to be a drive line lash issue. After all they did change out both the drive shaft and the ring and pinion gears. :headscratch:

It just takes a little getting used too it.

Mine was herky-jerky too. I called Kenne Bell and they sent me a screen installed behind the air cleaner. Simple 1 minute install and the car drives better but still just a tad touchy. I'm not sure I like the idea of the extra restriction in the intake. I believe it works by making the air more turbulent at the MAF, but that is somewaht of a guess. I may take it back out and see if I like the results - I can probably stand some jerkiness if overall performance is even slightly improved.

I too found my SS to feel jerky at very low speeds and use the clutch to avoid the jerk. It does seem to be a driveline backlash issue and I never had even a hint of it before the conversion. I have adjusted to it now and don't really think about it anymore. I have 10K total miles with about 2k since the conversion. I also find I need to be very gentle on the power when first accelerating cuz it wants to take off causing me to let off quickly and causing a different jerkiness. I always feel like a rookie when that happens! Anyway, all this has basically been covered by continued driving experience. God I love this car!

Contact Jon Lund.His tunes will solve that issue and if you have any idle hang-up issues those will also be resolved.

The off idle sensitivity issue? Is what we're talking about called "hang up"?

The off idle sensitivity issue? Is what we're talking about called "hang up"?

Two different concerns.Off idle throttle sensitivity is corrected with a Jon Lund tune.Idle hang-up is when at times you are decelerating,come to a stop and your rpms do not immediately come down to 850 rpms,They "hang-up"around 1200 rpms before dropping after a few seconds.My car ran great, but had both these issues with the Kenne Bell tunes.

Have it on order! Can not wait!! Did it seem to add any hp?

Not sure about the additional h.p. since have not driven the car enough to get a real "seat of the pants" feel, nor has it been dyno'ed, but one thing that seems to be different is the way the engine spins up. If you step into it from a roll, even moderately, the tires seem to break loose at a lower rpm and the engine will hit the limiter before you are expecting it to while the car is thrusting forward, so I have had to change the way I drive it. It seems like before the 3", I could step into it and it would build h.p., now it seems like it leaps to that power level much earlier/quicker. It caught me off guard, the first time I accelerated/sprinted moderately after the 3" install. Maybe it is just me, but the car seems to breath/flow better.

R

Two different concerns.Off idle throttle sensitivity is corrected with a Jon Lund tune.Idle hang-up is when at times you are decelerating,come to a stop and your rpms do not immediately come down to 850 rpms,They "hang-up"around 1200 rpms before dropping after a few seconds.My car ran great, but had both these issues with the Kenne Bell tunes.

Thanks for the clarification. I currently have both issues along with intermittant low/rough idle at initial start of engine

Archived