TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Justin @ VMP - V6 Talk

kraegar

Justin, I've read the posts of the wicked work you've done on your wife's V6... just crazy. It's amazing what they can do. :drop:

I wanted to get your input on what you thought of more minor "bolt on's" for the v6's, such as something as simple as a CAI & canned tune, K & N filters, new gears, etc? I'm not looking for anything dramatic - this car is plenty fast as a daily driver, and lots of fun. But I can tell it has more there just waiting.

Do you think the bolt ons are worth it? With just CAI & a tune, would I notice a difference? I hear a lot of people with GT's saying that the tune gives them more power throughout the RPM range, not just at the top end, which makes it sound tempting. I didn't know if the same applied to a v6. Also, 1st gear seems awfully "short" - would new gears help with that? How about the exhaust? Any benefit to changing it, other then the sound?

Basically just fishing for ideas for the 4.0. It's a daily driver, and I'll be driving it in the snow, so I don't want to do anything insane (I also like my warranty!), but like I said, I want to know what my options are :hyper:

(I do occasionally drop in to v6power & the 4.0 collective, but most of those folks seem to focus more on getting everything they can out of these, ie. supercharger or turbos, I'm not looking to go to that far!)

Thanks much,

- Tony

Justin, I've read the posts of the wicked work you've done on your wife's V6... just crazy. It's amazing what they can do. :drop:

I wanted to get your input on what you thought of more minor "bolt on's" for the v6's, such as something as simple as a CAI & canned tune, K & N filters, new gears, etc? I'm not looking for anything dramatic - this car is plenty fast as a daily driver, and lots of fun. But I can tell it has more there just waiting.

Do you think the bolt ons are worth it? With just CAI & a tune, would I notice a difference? I hear a lot of people with GT's saying that the tune gives them more power throughout the RPM range, not just at the top end, which makes it sound tempting. I didn't know if the same applied to a v6. Also, 1st gear seems awfully "short" - would new gears help with that? How about the exhaust? Any benefit to changing it, other then the sound?

Basically just fishing for ideas for the 4.0. It's a daily driver, and I'll be driving it in the snow, so I don't want to do anything insane (I also like my warranty!), but like I said, I want to know what my options are :hyper:

(I do occasionally drop in to v6power & the 4.0 collective, but most of those folks seem to focus more on getting everything they can out of these, ie. supercharger or turbos, I'm not looking to go to that far!)

Thanks much,

- Tony

Hi Tony, we did a CAI, tune, and muffler on my wife's 06 before putting the blower on it. My tune will add power everywhere. A CAI, tune, and muffler will add around 25rwhp and can be done for around $600. Gears will make 1st even shorter than it already is. 3.73s and a t-lok would not be bad mods if one wanted to spend the money.

25 at the wheels means approx. 240 at the crank (with a 15% loss figured in), which ain't bad. That's a 14% increase at the wheels. (This assumes the car actually is 210hp stock, which is where ford rates it).

Putting this on my wish list. Does that $600 include the tuner? Prices I've seen put it at the $800 - $900 range with the tuner, cai & exhaust.

All very tempting... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

- Tony

Archived