TEAM SHELBY FORUM

paxton novi install

Congratulations Ken !

I can't wait to hear about your test runs !!

Plus, reading your posts will sure help out with my installation :)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I'll definitely have videos up asap. I'm still waiting on the tune from Justin at VMP. Hopefully by tomorrow?

I just got the hole in the inlet elbow drilled today, because I didn't have a big enough bit at home (9/16"). The tap I have will work perfectly though. I'm going to run those threads here in a minute. The power steering is full, so all I'll have left is the coolant re-fill and I'm good to go!

Ken

Ken, I have been out of town and have not checked this thread.. What great documentation of your install. Very nice. Congrats.

Thanks a lot man. More to come.

On a related note, I just snagged one of these retro Shelby American/Paxton engine bay plaques! :happy feet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

BTT8cGgB2kKGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVDkBKHu84W.jpg

Sounds good let me know the dates when you know and I will check the PNW autosport calenders for us... :drool:

Congrats again. gonna be cool dude!

Right on dude! It would be awesome to check out an event while I'm up there! :shift:

So now I really am just waiting on the tune. I finished up the intake air temp sensor relocation tonight at home.

Here are the pics I took while tapping the hole in the inlet elbow and tying the extra wiring into the harness. I tried my hardest to make the tap as straight as possible and I wanted the sensor hidden underneath the inlet as much as it could be. Once the threads were cut, I dabbed a bit of pipe dope on the sensor's threads, and wrenched it in.

DSC06978.jpg

DSC06979.jpg

DSC06980.jpg

DSC06982.jpg

DSC06983.jpg

DSC06986.jpg

Hey night owl! Lol

It looks great Ken. A real model for others to go by.

Are you planning to have it tuned somewhere or are you going to stay with the email tune?

Hey Dan look who's talkin! ;)

I'm going to give VMP a shot with an email file. I also added a race fuel tune to my order.

But in the real short term future, I plan on running it back out to AED in Cameron Park for a full tune and dyno.

I want to know how much power this thing added, obviously, but having a few tunes to choose from is always nice too!

Ken

Hey Dan look who's talkin! ;)

I'm going to give VMP a shot with an email file. I also added a race fuel tune to my order.

But in the real short term future, I plan on running it back out to AED in Cameron Park for a full tune and dyno.

I want to know how much power this thing added, obviously, but having a few tunes to choose from is always nice too!

Ken

I'm normally asleep now but I got hot...

The guy's at AED are great. I went there with a buddy of mine when they tuned his GT after he put a Vortec on it. You can't go wrong with having them tune it.

NOTHING LIKE A SWEET LOOKING PAXTON AND SHELBY TRADITION. I WISHED

PAXTON AND SHELBY COULD HAVE GOT THEIR CARB CERTIFICATION. I WOULD

HAVE GONE OLD SCHOOL OVER A WHIPPLE 550 SET UP.

SCOTTY

Still waiting on my tune... :waiting:

Me too, I am hoping the Shelby will be home by Friday (FRPP throttle body, 4:10's, long tubes, KR mufflers, etc... and waiting on the tune!)

Great job on the install it looks fantastic, I am sooo glad I had the Whipple installed for me , I am not as mechanically enabled as you!

Your gonna love driven it even more than before

Take Care

Andrew

:hysterical: Yeah I'm losing it alright! So far my cranium is still in tact, however, so that's a bonus.

The tune finally showed up this morning though. I'll be jetting out of work early today to get it loaded up asap.

He says that he pulled 2 degrees of timing, till he can verify that the AFR is good. He wants some data logs right away too.

Hopefully I'll have some video tonight! :happy feet:

Ken

Sorry for the delay fellas. I got the tune loaded up and adjusted some user options to my liking. I left the timing alone for now, for obvious reasons.

The car started right up, but the power steering pump was cavitating loudly. I turned it off and added 1/2 bottle of fluid. Fired it back up and the RPM's were getting stuck around 2k. I shut it back down and let it cool for a few. I added some coolant/water and adjusted the belt (it had slipped a rib or two off the SC pulley).

I re-loaded my tune and tried again. This time, it shot a big puff of blue/white smoke out the back, then settled into a more normal lopey idle (around 800 RPM's). This is when I noticed a funny noise from the top end. It's kind of a slight grinding noise. It took me awhile to narrow it down, while the car was still idling. Now I'm certain it's coming from the blower itself. I shut it back down and double checked the SC oil. It's good. I put a wrench to the whole assembly, re-torquing every bolt that holds the SC in place.

So I took a deep breath and turned the key again. No smoke this time, right into it's normal idle. The goofy noise is still present, but I kept it running for a few, hoping that it'd clear up. Here's that video, nothing exciting: http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/k...nt=MOV07009.flv

Here's a quick vid of me running the engine speed up a bit, trying to feel it out: http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/k...nt=MOV07010.flv

I let it idle for quite a few minutes, then took it on a quick trip around the block. Even with the 2* of timing pulled on the tune right now, this thing GETS IT! I brought it back home and tinkered a bit more, grabbed a Coke, and hopped back in the saddle. I took a longer cruise the 2nd time around, just to get it warmed up a bit (and give my neighbor's walls a break). I only punched it up once and it surprised the hell out of me. Even at speed, the throttle hits right now, with no delay, and the power just keeps growing. I haven't pushed it at all (by my standard anyway) but so far I'm blown away by the difference. I don't hear the noise while I'm driving, until I hit 4k or so, then it's pretty fierce. At idle, I had convinced myself that it's just a normal sound of the Paxton operating. But after hearing it at WOT, I'm not so sure. Can anyone with a Paxton tell me if it growls all the time? I can't imagine that it should, with the kind of tight tolerances these things are built with. Anyway, I took a video from inside the car on this last cruise. The focus on my camera is horrible at night, even on my cruisecam headrest mount. For that I apologize! I'm still loading that vid, so stay tuned.

Ken

Here's the video of the freeway cruise. Again, the focus at night is terrible. I should have used 'nightshot'. Oh well, next time.

It's not too exciting, but it's all I've got right now. The windows are down through most of it, so that muddy's it up a bit.

With 2 minutes left in the video, I rolled them up and got on it for a moment. That's about it. Anyway, I'll keep troubleshooting the noise and wait to hear from other Paxton owners, before I put this thing to any real test. :shift:

http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/k...nt=MOV07011.flv

Ken

Congrats Ken!

I think the sound you hear is pretty normal. My friends vortec is pretty loud at idle. Sounds like ball bearings floating around inside. I can't comment on how it sounds above 4000 rpm's since his exhaust is really loud. I drove it and it is a night and day difference. In fact, he ran a 12.5 the other night ar Sac. You should be quicker yet with cams. Can't wait to see what it dynos at.

Archived