TEAM SHELBY FORUM

paxton novi install

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far, so good....great work ! Are you going to weigh everything that's going in and everything that's coming out for a net lbs?

Interesting, but my Novi looks like it's a little faster than yours :hysterical:

No sir but that's a good idea. I'll see if I can't try to figure that out today.

And ya know, I was just thinking to myself, 'I wonder how rush_junky' is going to feel when he realizes that he bought the slowest Novi outta the bunch?' :hysterical:

Looking good Ken - welcome to the club on wrestling with the fuel pump retaining ring. I remember having bloody knuckles squeezing the fuel pump in and then trying to get the spring loaded hat to seat properly, major pain in the ass. I think that's why the FRPP pump comes with a spare retaining ring.

You may want to smooth out the tab you removed on the valve cover a little more to make it more flush. The belt clearance is very tight in that spot.

Here's a tip... If you don't already have one you should get a 9/16" Reversible Ratcheting Combination Wrench. You'll want one to attach the Paxton SC head unit to the mounting plate. There are several bolts that come through the back of the plate and very little room to swing a wrench.

This one works:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...bination+Wrench

I'll clean that tab up a little more today. You're right, it looks a little rough in those pics.

Thanks for the heads up on the ratchet wrenches. I've got a few full sets already, so I should be good to go!

As for the pump, I'm never ever never ever doing another one of THOSE things again! :hysterical:

Ken

p.s. Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm glad you're enjoying the install! :happy feet:

No sir but that's a good idea. I'll see if I can't try to figure that out today.

And ya know, I was just thinking to myself, 'I wonder how rush_junky' is going to feel when he realizes that he bought the slowest Novi outta the bunch?' :hysterical:

Ken,

Well, muah is definitely going to be the slowest installer. :hysterical:

Going on 20 days of temps up to 105.... :cry: Even golf this morning wasn't very much fun. If I could only say "it's a dry heat"...can't.

Did ya notice the price at Jegs is back up to $4300? I did see another place that had it for $3800.

Happy Installin' Ken... :drool:

Ed

Ken,

Well, muah is definitely going to be the slowest installer. :hysterical:

Going on 20 days of temps up to 105.... :cry: Even golf this morning wasn't very much fun. If I could only say "it's a dry heat"...can't.

Did ya notice the price at Jegs is back up to $4300? I did see another place that had it for $3800.

Happy Installin' Ken... :drool:

Ed

Yeah Ed I did notice that the price went back up! Man, we sure lucked out at the $3100 price tag we scored. :)

I had to lift the intake, in order to install this thermostat housing adapter (it rotates the housing for a bit of clearance for the blower).

This caused me all sorts of trouble. I broke a bolt inside of the adapter, then stripped some thread from inside a hole in the intake crossover tube.

I ended up cutting one of the original bolts to make it work in place of the broken bolt. I solved the stripped thread problem by finding a longer, flush mount, allen head bolt laying around (one of the Scott Drake underhood dress up bolts that I didn't use). I just used my grinder to shave the size of the head down, so that it would fit flush inside of the adapter. This may not all make a lot of sense, but I don't know how to else to describe it and it took me a couple of hours to deal with, so I feel the need to explain it! ;)

DSC06877.jpg

DSC06878.jpg

DSC06880.jpg

DSC06881.jpg

DSC06886.jpg

DSC06889.jpg

DSC06892.jpg

Now to the good stuff. :)

Here's where I left off last night. I pulled the radiator hose at first, because I couldn't get the blower to center with it in. I've got it figured out now though and will post updated pics, once I get back on the job today. Anyway, I think I've done alright for just 2 nights of work so far!

DSC06918.jpg

DSC06924.jpg

DSC06923.jpg

DSC06925.jpg

DSC06926.jpg

Now to the good stuff. :)

Here's where I left off last night. I pulled the radiator hose at first, because I couldn't get the blower to center with it in. I've got it figured out now though and will post updated pics, once I get back on the job today. Anyway, I think I've done alright for just 2 nights of work so far!

So which install is easier a Whipple (non-intercooler) or this one?

So which install is easier a Whipple (non-intercooler) or this one?

I've never installed a Whipple. This one, however, is quite a lot of work. I'm a skilled technician and a trained mechanic. I've worked with industrial natural gas and diesel engines since I was an 18 year old kid in the shipyard. I most definitely would not recommend the Paxton install for someone without a good deal of engine knowledge and access to a wide array of tools. The HO kit would be even more difficult.

Ken

Well I've done just about all I can do for now.

Here are some new pics of the work I completed today. I re-installed the fan and coolant tank. I routed the new power steering hoses and coupled them in with the old ones. I cut/fit the new PCV valve into my air/oil separator system. I got the air intake setup installed, along with the blower bypass valve, belt, and radiator hoses.

I haven't installed the inlet elbow, however, because I still need to drill/tap a hole in the bottom of it. This is where the intake air temperature sensor will be relocated to.

Besides that, I'll need to refill the coolant and power steering systems and finish the wiring for the MAF. Finally, I'll be waiting on my tune from Justin at VMP. All in all, this was an extremely in depth task and not for the inexperienced. I think it went awfully well for my first blower install, however. I can't wait to hear it spool up for the first time.

Ken

DSC06928.jpg

DSC06929.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

Awesome progress. It would be sweet if you could somehow cut up the CF intake elbow and reuse it...

Thanks man. I was thinking of sending this plastic intake off for a CF dip actually. Stay tuned on that...

Looking GREAT KEN!!! Love your thread great pics!

BTW: When is your trip up here happening, and are you driving the car up?

:party2: :banana piano:

Hey thanks Randy! I'm glad you dig the pics! I was supposed to head up there a couple times already since Grabberfest, but work has been non-stop.

As soon as I get a break, I'm on the road headed north. I'll drop you a line before I cruise up for sure. And ya I'll be driving the Shelby. :)

Ken

Great work Ken. Thanks for posting the photos too. When I am able to get a supercharger I also want to go with paxton. Though I don't think I want to try and do it myself...lol

Can't wait to see the finished product and be sure to post a video so we all can enjoy hearing it spool up!!!

Thanks man. I was thinking of sending this plastic intake off for a CF dip actually. Stay tuned on that...

Hey thanks Randy! I'm glad you dig the pics! I was supposed to head up there a couple times already since Grabberfest, but work has been non-stop.

As soon as I get a break, I'm on the road headed north. I'll drop you a line before I cruise up for sure. And ya I'll be driving the Shelby. :)

Ken

Hey man thats AWESOME NEWS maybe we can try to hit a track day or a autocross for a day and some beers in the PM.

Again great thread and great job dude!

Hey man thats AWESOME NEWS maybe we can try to hit a track day or a autocross for a day and some beers in the PM.

Again great thread and great job dude!

That sounds like a great time man! I'd love to check out one of your boat engines too sometime, if ya had the time.

Anyway, we'll be cruising in a few weeks for sure. :)

Nice work Ken... It's been over 2 years since I put my Paxton in and I swear I still get excited when it fires up.

Hope all works out with the tune and looking forward to see/hear how you do at the track.

Good Luck

Brian O'C

Thanks again for your advice Brian. You gave me a couple of really helpful ideas with this thing. And you were spot on with that cam cover tab. Had I not gone back and cut it down more, I would have had to disassemble the entire kit last night, because the belt would have rubbed!

Here are just a couple of updated pics, with a few more pieces loosely assembled. I just got home from Home Depot where I picked up a tap & die set. My old one is at work and I'm getting antsy just staring at this thing installed, so I'm going to see if I can't get the hole tapped in the inlet elbow tonight, instead of tomorrow. ;)

The MAF sensor wiring is done, as you can see in the pics. I just need to re-work the PCV valve hosing real quick, take care of the IAT sensor port & wiring, fill the coolant/power steering, and hassle Justin for his tune!

Ken

DSC06962.jpg

DSC06963.jpg

DSC06964.jpg

Kahmann, that is a work of art!! Now when you're completely done we will need sound clips, videos, e.t.'s, ..... :lol:

Ken,

Great looking install, I was a big Paxton guy for some time now, but ended up getting an Edelbrock installed last week. I do have a quick question/idea ... to go with the theme of you engine bay, could you paint/powdercoat the satin part of the supercharger either Black or Blue like your valve covers? I'm not saying it doesn't look good, it just seems like it would jump off if this could be done. Good luck and great looking install again.

Jim

Archived