TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So...how scared are you to drive yours??

boost addict

I picked up my Blue w/White '07 GT500 a few weeks ago. I've been on the waiting list for 2 years and I haven't slept since.

Now that it's finally here and sitting in my garage I find myself terrified to drive it. I'm afraid someone will touch it wrong, or get a rock chip or some old lady will pull out in front of me.

So, here I sit with a beautiful GT500 sitting in the garage with a whopping 200 miles on it (That was the first two days). This thing attracts all kinds of attention around here, has nearly caused a wreck coming to an intersection because the kid next to me was watching the car and not the stop light!

Anyway, how do you guys approach this "fear"?

I picked up my Blue w/White '07 GT500 a few weeks ago. I've been on the waiting list for 2 years and I haven't slept since.

Now that it's finally here and sitting in my garage I find myself terrified to drive it. I'm afraid someone will touch it wrong, or get a rock chip or some old lady will pull out in front of me.

So, here I sit with a beautiful GT500 sitting in the garage with a whopping 200 miles on it (That was the first two days). This thing attracts all kinds of attention around here, has nearly caused a wreck coming to an intersection because the kid next to me was watching the car and not the stop light!

It's only a car. I know how you feel, but if you keep it up, you'll never enjoy it. My biggest concern is when I approach traffic, its incredible acceleration and the people in front of you can't grasp the rate at which you are gaining on them. I really watch that.

It's only a car. I know how you feel, but if you keep it up, you'll never enjoy it. My biggest concern is when I approach traffic, its incredible acceleration and the people in front of you can't grasp the rate at which you are gaining on them. I really watch that.

my biggest concern is that when some cowboy is trying to keep up with you, and for sure there is no way he is going to be able to stop as fast as you....lol

I know what you are saying, I was actually worried about this too, cause I am a bit of a "Fuss Bucket"

But if you keep it up, like someone already said, you will never enjoy the car!?!

Try to drive it like you were on a Bike, is the best advice. (Its fast enough to behave like one!)

Try and stay out of peoples blind spots, and stay away from other traffic as best as you can.

Either stay way behind or move ahead as far as possible. When passing get around people as quickly as you can but try not to blow by them as it generally freaks 'em out.

The ol adage look out for the other guy has never been more true driving this car. You can't do anything at stop lights other than look for an out if something gets weird, I have seen people do some strange stuff to get a look at mine! (Scary!!)

I know what you are saying, I was actually worried about this too, cause I am a bit of a "Fuss Bucket"

""Fuss Bucket

LOL I have not heard that said since I was a kid! You got it, now go drive it, you can't worry about things you have no control over. (Other people) Congrats and Enjoy your new ride!

Tim :beerchug:

Simple!

I learned this a long long time ago.

The more paranoid you are about your car, the more chances you have of finding trouble.

Drive it like it's a rental and don't worry about it and all will be fine!

That's my take on it and it works for me.....

I used to be like you about my cars and I never saw so many dent's dings and scratches (not to mention other people rear ending me when I was stopped in traffic and the 15 year old kid that pulled off to the side of the road and decided to make a U-turn as I was driving by and smacked the right side of my car sending me into a tail spin and through a chain link fence, all the neighbors cats leaving their paw prints on my car etc. etc. etc.).

Just drive the hell out of it, always enjoy it and just be on the look out for cops since they would love to "catch you!"

I was the same way about some of my other cars. But with my shebly i got over it fast i on my 1st trip i hit a tire and caused 1200 buck worth of damage. so i got over the dont hurt my baby. Now on the other hand i have almost been hit in the rear end many time because people do not realize how fast i can stop.

I'd say you have two choices:

1) Get over it and enjoy it. My dad gave me some good advice....don't worry about things you can't control. You can control to some extent, for example park away from cars in shopping centers to avoid door dings. However, you cannot prevent every rock chip or other natural occurrence.

2) Plan on storing it in a car capsule and stare at it daily

P.S. If you haven't slept in 2 years, you must be really tired. :drop:

Dave

Drive it.

The only thing that gives me concern is people behind me stopped in traffic.

I'll watch my mirror. Some Chatty Kathy on her cell phone is liable to tap me. I know she's insured - but you never get paid for the time spent getting it fixed.

There has to be some sort of device to prevent that...maybe I should install a trailer hitch with ball...or hire a college kid to follow me around and act as a blocker....maybe some really bright lights on the rear shelf that I can turn on if they get too close....Something. :rant:

my biggest concern is that when some cowboy is trying to keep up with you, and for sure there is no way he is going to be able to stop as fast as you....lol

+ 1 Especially when they tail gate and are on the cell phone. I will change lanes or step on it just to get away from them.

Other than the traffic thing I drive it hard when I can.( Can't help myself ) This thing is addictive.

My Shelby lost her virginity at Day 10 when two little hoodlums chucked a rock at it from a railroad overpass. That'll take the wind outta yer sails! Bastards.

:rant:

bj

Hey I feel the pain, I,am a crazy man about NOT driving

: through any water in the street

: not driving behind ANY kind of big truck hauling anything!!

: always hand washing my show piece

: always parking in the largest parking area with the most space/ corner etc.

: never eating in the car

: sometimes floor mats on top the floor mats

: always catching the empty lane for a quick get out in front!

: ordering the clear bra protection for flying debris/rocks/bugs/

I guess drive the baby...its under warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRay

I have to agree with what others have said, this car is addictive. I have driven mine since I've got it on the 13th of November and 1100 miles later it is in perfect shape. I was a little afraid to drive my car at first but after the first week I got over it real quick, I take it everywhere. You just have to look out for the other guys and enjoy it. :play:

I have seen people do some strange stuff to get a look at mine! (Scary!!)

I know what you mean Pete. I had a guy follow me in an Audi the other day down the 400 with a full size Video Camera up to his face. When I sped up, he sped up. When I slowed down, he slowed down. This went on for about 10 kms in stop and go traffic. A real pain on my ass. On one final speed run I ducked into a rest station at the last moment which he missed. Bye-bye! He was a reckless nuisance who could have easily caused an accident. :finger:

Hey I feel the pain, I,am a crazy man about NOT driving

: through any water in the street

: not driving behind ANY kind of big truck hauling anything!!

: always hand washing my show piece

: always parking in the largest parking area with the most space/ corner etc.

: never eating in the car

: always catching the empty lane for a quick get out in front!

Me too :happy feet:

I was driving on the Pacific Coast Highway with the wife today in Malibu, It was avery windy day for Southern Cal. We were almost at the LA/Ventura County Line when a wicked wind whipped up a TON of sand and debris from the beach on to the highway!!! I was loosing it when I started hearing the sand whipping my car. All I could see for 300 yards was this wall of sand slamming the highway......

We flipped a u turn and I chirpped in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd till it was clear. The car needs to be buffed for sure. It's black so it might have sustained a few hairline scratches that wont heal. Am I bummed? I was for 5 seconds and then I thought about it.....Here I am driving my Shelby with my hot wife on a gorgeous wednesday afternoon in sunny malibu!!!

What the #$%# !!!! So my car has a couple minor scratches that no one will notice but me. BFD!!!!

ALL is good! I plan on driving this car and enjoying it. I have no control over what happens out there except for my actions. I have about 1500 miles in it and the power has really kicked in. It may be a combo of good break in and teh fact that I know the gear box really well now. (I live in L.A, you get to know the gears really well in the traffic).....The one thing you probably all know is how easily the cars ass will kick out on ya if you're to hard on the gas in a turn. I've fish tailed more than once. In my other cars the traction control kicks in much sooner, so Im still getting used to the throttle in quick turns. Anyway, I LOVE the car. So do a lot of people that see it on the street. I even had a cop pull over, get out of his patrol car and approach me while on I was parked making a call. I thought he was coming to write me a ticket for no front plates. All he wanted to do was check out the car and ask me a ton of questions. He said that he's seen me driving around my neighborhood and hope he could chat with me. WHAT A TRIP!!!!

J

Well I wanted to keep mine immaculate and have, for the most part, done that. I have also driven mine 1100 miles. I managed to get a pretty deep rock chip on the drivers side fender. It killed me for about a day and then I chilled.

It is just a car and if you are going to drive it you have to be prepared to accept things like that. Don't get me wrong, mine will never see gravel, rain, snow, or road salt, but I am going to drive mine like I mean it each time I get it out.

By the way, cruised at 120 mph the other day and it felt great.

Good luck and enjoy

:hyper: :cry:

It was a little unnerving to leave a new car in the hotel parking lot over night, but the way I saw it, it was better than letting valet parking have their way with it. Anyway it was still there in the a.m. and finally a couple of days latter I was parking it right by the front door where everyone could get a good look at it. Nothing happened and now it is put away for the winter.

Driving..not scared at all..Parking...very scared....so...most trip don't involve parking lots or malls...just mostly joy rides..then back to home base..and my garage

Archived