TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 SE package not happening

stevenh

I spoke to SAI today reference making the SE (Special Edition) package available for the 2010. A lot of guys I spoke with want to keep their dual stripes and their original stripe color which they have to give up with the SS. It is especially important this year as the car has the dual over top stripe, dual stripes on the seats, the rockers and even the shift knob.

SAI came out with the new car packages this year, they say out of response to owner requests. With the SE package, if you add the options you can build an equivalent to the SS, just with factory stripes and hood, or spend less just for cosmetic upgrades.

SAI says at present there is no plans for a 2010 SE, but if you are interested to let them know and they may reconsider. I know I want one.

that's unfortunate. if i did do an upgrade, it would be the SE and not the super snake. until we get some reliable info on how much power the new clutch can take, i think upgrading your HP is a crapshoot.

Couple of points:

1) This is opinion, but the GT500 SE seems to me like a lot of $$'s for mostly cosmetics. Don't like that direction at all.

2) Regarding your clutch thoughts -- talked previously to some Ford engineers and asked them if the 2010 GT500 clutch was stronger than the earlier years' versions. I thought the answer would be a slam dunk yes because of the larger diameter/area. Walked away unsure, however.

They said you have to also consider the material difference. The earlier clutches are good for 100 degrees F more compared to the 2010 clutch. One of the issues they were trying to resolve is that the earlier clutches did not give off enough smell when being burnt. The 2010 material will.

Having said all of that, I don't know if the 2010 is stronger notwithstanding the larger diameter.

I agree, you could buy the parts yourself and do the SE package for a lower cost, but it also gives you the post title vin and vin plates, which at only 500 SE's per year will make up for most if that all the difference in cost. Plus the supercharger may go away soon given the new EPA regs, so we may have the last ones of our kind.

I agree, you could buy the parts yourself and do the SE package for a lower cost, but it also gives you the post title vin and vin plates, which at only 500 SE's per year will make up for most if that all the difference in cost. Plus the supercharger may go away soon given the new EPA regs, so we may have the last ones of our kind.

Doubt there is anything to it but I heard a Ford Dealer (owner) say they were indeed limiting the 2010 cars and may not have a 2011. He must believe it he is purchasing one for himself. Please don't tell me how stupid I am, I am just repeating his rantings.

Cobra010

Doubt there is anything to it but I heard a Ford Dealer (owner) say they were indeed limiting the 2010 cars and may not have a 2011. He must believe it he is purchasing one for himself. Please don't tell me how stupid I am, I am just repeating his rantings.

Cobra010

the 2011 gt500 is going to have a 5.4 all aluminum engine

Archived