TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hydroplane and crash.

So at approximately 2:00 P.M. yesterday afternoon I was driving east on State Road 27. It was a little wet, not raining though. My tires were pretty bald but I felt very comfortable going 74 mph in a 65 mph zone.

Up ahead comes a point where the road changes from the old, unrepaved road that I'm driving on; to a new repaved section. It looked a little slicker but I just figured that was because it was just a darker new pavement.

I proceed to drive at the same speed and when I hit the new pavement my car must have jumped up a little, and tires continued to spin because i had cruise control set. Next thing you know my car is violently swerving in the left lane so unfortunately, my instinct tells me to push in the clutch before braking. I lightly brake which the car hates even more so next thing you know im nearly backwards sliding across the right lane. I mash the brake pedal and hope for the best. Backwards, I miss a Mile Marker 86 sign, and slide in the dirt and the front end of my car barely nicks a tree. This stops me and settles the car.

I call 911 and all of that stuff. My phone stops working, stupid iphone, because after being outside the car for 2 minutes it begins to rain.

I didn't have a chance to take pictures at the scene but here are some in the driveway. I might be traveling on the same road soon so if I do I'll take pictures of the scene.

P.S. Nobody was hit, and nobody was hurt.

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

I would please ask for no rude comments or flame in this situation. Thanks.

Holy cr*p ... I'm glad you're okay dude. Stuff can always be replaced. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I read earlier that this car is shared between dad and son....may I know who was at the wheel when this happened? Also, what caused that nasty gash on your front bumper?

It could have turned out a lot worse. Glad you're fine.

- BORG

Holy cr*p ... I'm glad you're okay dude. Stuff can always be replaced. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I read earlier that this car is shared between dad and son....may I know who was at the wheel when this happened? Also, what caused that nasty gash on your front bumper?

It could have turned out a lot worse. Glad you're fine.

- BORG

Car is under my fathers name but I'm the only one to drive it. Last time he drove it was probably 5 months ago when I still had my permit. I was in the car alone at the time.

The tree that I hit caused that. Even worse is 5-10 feet in front of my tire slide marks in the dirt were someone elses. I was not the first to hit this tree =\

Wow glad to hear you are okay and the car did not get more severe damage. Perhaps you could share the tire tread depth remaining, which could serve as a good flag for the rest of us.

Maybe 15%. Just really low. I thought I was okay because I had driven in the rain before with no problems but that wasn't the case.

From what you posted and the speed you were at i think you did a hell good of job controlling the car so it did not end up worse than what we saw in the pics. glad you are ok and those will be fixed and put it behind you very soon.

it is a learning experience that i once encountered with my Honda accord. I was driving a mountain road down from a friend's house in Dalton GA after a nice thanks giving dinner that his wife has made, it was so foggy i had to roll down the window and look at the yellow lines to know where am at. all of sudden and my speed was so low i took a spin and ended up in a guarding rail that got the radiator's fluid running down, the car was still drivable so i drove back to my friend's house again and stayed there overnight. next morning i came back to the accident location to find out that the guarding rail protected me from being down more than 100 feet. it was a cliff and had i missed the rail a second earlier or a second late i would not be on this forum typing this post.

glad again you are ok it seems that you have gotten better skills than me in controlling the car in freaking accidents , be safe.

From what you posted and the speed you were at i think you did a hell good of job controlling the car so it did not end up worse than what we saw in the pics. glad you are ok and those will be fixed and put it behind you very soon.

it is a learning experience that i once encountered with my Honda accord. I was driving a mountain road down from a friend's house in Dalton GA after a nice thanks giving dinner that his wife has made, it was so foggy i had to roll down the window and look at the yellow lines to know where am at. all of sudden and my speed was so low i took a spin and ended up in a guarding rail that got the radiator's fluid running down, the car was still drivable so i drove back to my friend's house again and stayed there overnight. next morning i came back to the accident location to find out that the guarding rail protected me from being down more than 100 feet. it was a cliff and had i missed the rail a second earlier or a second late i would not be on this forum typing this post.

glad again you are ok it seems that you have gotten better skills than me in controlling the car in freaking accidents , be safe.

Thanks Sharabi! I'm glad to hear that you were okay with your accident too. This tree saved me too. If not for the tree I would have been through a fence and into an irrigation ditch for a farm.

Yeah, for spinning out at 70 that isn't bad... Hope it didn't twist the car up, I don't like the crease in the fender...

This isn't a flame because I have been there and done that, but your first mistake was pushing the clutch and brake...

After I lost control on gravel and ice a few times when I was younger my grandpa taught me how to fishtail and keep contol... Rule number I was never hit the brake right of way... Man it was fun rippin around the fields with grandpa in the farm truck!! It really helped with disipline and control...

You're dad's not gonna like this but you need to practice driving sideways... Lol, and not on a public road, and not with the Shelby!!

Glad you are ok, the car can be fixed...

Yeah, for spinning out at 70 that isn't bad... Hope it didn't twist the car up, I don't like the crease in the fender...

This isn't a flame because I have been there and done that, but your first mistake was pushing the clutch and brake...

After I lost control on gravel and ice a few times when I was younger my grandpa taught me how to fishtail and keep contol... Rule number I was never hit the brake right of way... Man it was fun rippin around the fields with grandpa in the farm truck!! It really helped with disipline and control...

You're dad's not gonna like this but you need to practice driving sideways... Lol, and not on a public road, and not with the Shelby!!

Glad you are ok, the car can be fixed...

Do you think its just a body buckle or worse?

I know where I went wrong, I panicked. I wish I could get one replay to do it all over again.

Disaster narrowly overted; glad you're ok.

Looks all superficial, at least no serious mechanical issues.

Tirerack.com is offering a great deal on OEM replacements, at least they were last week.

I wish your car a speedy recovery

Disaster narrowly overted; glad you're ok.

Looks all superficial, at least no serious mechanical issues.

Tirerack.com is offering a great deal on OEM replacements, at least they were last week.

I wish your car a speedy recovery

I'm feeling the same about all the cosemtic damage. I might be buying the parts myself and putting them on myself and finding a trustworthy professional paint shop. This way nothing goes into carfax.

Glad to hear you're alright. You can fix the car like new. You only have one body. And oh by the way...that's still damn good that you managed to keep in some kind of control at 70 and ended up with minor damage.

So at approximately 2:00 P.M. yesterday afternoon I was driving east on State Road 27. It was a little wet, not raining though. My tires were pretty bald but I felt very comfortable going 74 mph in a 65 mph zone.

Up ahead comes a point where the road changes from the old, unrepaved road that I'm driving on; to a new repaved section. It looked a little slicker but I just figured that was because it was just a darker new pavement.

I proceed to drive at the same speed and when I hit the new pavement my car must have jumped up a little, and tires continued to spin because i had traction control set.

Did you mean to say cruise control? I think I read somewhere to never use the cruise control on wet or icy roads.

Glad you are ok, that could have easily turned out a lot worse at that speed.

I'm sure most already know this, but the real lesson here is:

Never, ever use your cruise control on wet roads....no matter what it is you are driving.

If your car runs over enough water and you start hydroplaning with your cruise control on, the tires will start spinning much faster because there is no friction with the road. Then when you hit some solid ashphalt, the tires are still spinning much faster then before...especially since the road is wet. So now you've lost traction from hydroplaning and after you get out of the water, your wheels still don't have any traction. Its like being on ice and spinning your tires.

balding tires make it that much easier to hydroplane

I'm sure most already know this, but the real lesson here is:

Never, ever use your cruise control on wet roads....no matter what it is you are driving.

That was Gramps rule #2...

Ouch! I'm glad your OK...the car can be fixed...

NOW, since noone else has said it here, and the ex-cop in me comes out from time to time, I just don't understand a parent giving their 16 year old child a 500 HP GT500!!! It isn't a jealousy thing or anything like that, I've just seen too many parents give their children something like this just to get them out of their hair...a short time later, I was usually working a fatality accident and telling those parents that their child had lost control of their vehicle and was killed in the car that they gave them...It can happen all too fast as you just found out...if I were you, since your parents have given you this car with a good deal of power, I would seek out a driving school that would allow you to use your car so you can learn the limits of both the car and your abilities...it just might save your life some day...

Again, glad your OK, and glad that an officer didn't have to deliver that message to your parents...

And YES, I know we were ALL young and dumb at one time or another...probably all of us are lucky to be alive today because of something we did that was crazy at some point or another...doesn't mean everyone had to learn the hard way...

Looks pretty good considering the speed you were going. Glad you're ok.

I learned about fishtailing in my 87 GT with those crappy "dry weather" Goodyears. I slid across an intersection at 2:00 A.M and hit a jeep parked in the service lane. It was owned by a butcher who was working in the 24 hour supermarket. I'm still sitting in the car when a guy with a bloody white apron comes running up to the drivers side window with a meat cleaver in his hand screaming "don't go anywhere". :surrender:

'coupe,

Glad you're okay. The damage looks minimal, thank goodness.

I was very fortunate, as a drivers' ed student, to be able to train on a real skid pad in high school; slick smooth asphalt, sprinklers, and an instructor just waiting to hit the brake during a turn to see if I could control the ass-end......It was very good practice, and something that every new driver should experience.

Alas, it did no good on pure ice. Two weeks after getting my license, I was driving to school in my '66 mustang 'vert on solid ice. After merging onto a road from an angled intersection, I barely tapped the gas before the wheels were perfectly straight and 'round I went. Fortunately, I stopped two feet short of a very large elm tree!

I've seen some good advice here: Never use cruise control in the rain; Don't hit the brakes in a fishtail.... But I would also look for a driving school focused on "car control". Check the tracks near you (in Florida....Daytona, Sebring, Homestead......) for driving schools focused on beginning drivers and car control. One school that recently came through our area that looked good was Driver's Edge. See what's available. Learning how to control a slide in a controlled environment is fun, but also very useful :bike::ohsnap:

Cheers :beerchug:

Glad you're okay. I remember when I had my first wreck, I totaled my 1967 Mustang coupe so you're fortunate there as you didn't total the snake. Personally, I would fix the car myself if you can because at your young age, you Dad's insurance is going to go up. The damage looks minimal and today's modern cars are made to make sheet metal repairs quick and painless. Good luck and watch those slick paved roads.

Glad you're okay. I remember when I had my first wreck, I totaled my 1967 Mustang coupe so you're fortunate there as you didn't total the snake. Personally, I would fix the car myself if you can because at your young age, you Dad's insurance is going to go up. The damage looks minimal and today's modern cars are made to make sheet metal repairs quick and painless. Good luck and watch those slick paved roads.

I actually have decided to do it myself! Thanks for the encouragement.

Whoo dude. Glad you are ok and the car has minimal damage. Your shoes are one of the most important things on your ride. Make sure you have a complete sole before embarking at excess speed in the rain. Print off Sprint's reply and take his advise. Oh yea, start giving 10% of your allowance on Sunday. This was divine intervention. This could have been very messy. Glad you are ok. We learn the most in life from the mistakes we make. Take notes on what happened.

Hey man,

I'm glad you're ok and that you were able to walk away from it.

It's an easy fix, but sad to say that that bumper is history.

Think of it as a jump start to your cosmetic customisation! :lurk::rockon: :happy feet:

Again glad you are ok! :victory:

Archived