TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just bought an Edelbrock Supercharger!!!

Well, I expect it to be here in a week and plan to have it installed at Powerhouse Performance up in Northern PA. I have to say... I've got butteryflys in my stomach. Two reasons, its a lot of money and two I can't wait to drive it! Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted and let me know if anyone wants to see anything specific during the install. Have a great and safe holiday weekend!

Jim

I installed the SC from edelbrock in about 13 hours by myself..its not so tough.. What is tough is the difference it makes to the SGT! I mean,,,DAM! I have found that all this new power adds to my rage :-) Just kidding.. I was quite impressed the other day when I was at a light, behind some yahooos..well it turned green and I went around them,,nailed it at about 35mph and the tires broke loose, I mean for days too! Yep,,,impressed!

I have always felt that real men make power by doing stuff to the engine, not by screwing in NOS nozzels! NOS is for Lil girls that do not know how to make power!

OK to close, Injection is nice, but I love being Blown! :salute:

Thanks guys, I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Excited about getting a blower (my last blower vehicle was a Lightning) and nervous about paying out all this money. Nobody can say I'm not helping the economy! I really can't wait to drive the Shelby when its all done, I'll keep you all posted. :shift:

Jim, to help you get through these days while waiting, pick up the current Mustangs and Fast Fords mag and go to page 34. They have a 7 page spread on the installation.

Which month? I've got July and August in front of me, but nothing on page 34. Thanks!

Well, I expect it to be here in a week and plan to have it installed at Powerhouse Performance up in Northern PA. I have to say... I've got butteryflys in my stomach. Two reasons, its a lot of money and two I can't wait to drive it! Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted and let me know if anyone wants to see anything specific during the install. Have a great and safe holiday weekend!

Jim

I'm leaning towards this set up. I like the look and power for lower boost.

I'm leaning towards this set up. I like the look and power for lower boost.

I did a lot of research on all the superchargers, for the cost and potential I liked this one as well. I will not be installing the valve covers though, unless I can figure out a way to grind them down and have the Shelby name inscribed on them somehow. But looks and design is what sold me. Thanks,

Jim

Edelbrock has its own foundry so it could cast new covers with any design if they wanted. Maybe Vic and Carroll will enter into an agrement for this SC and then they could make shelby covers.

Can't wait to see the install and the numbers.

Oops looked quickly and saw Mustangs and Fords. Wasn't paying attention. Real mag is Modified Mustangs and Fords. Page 34 August.

I've read this 3 times now and now I'm ready to get the supercharger and install it myself! :drool: Thanks for the info on this article. I'm so excited,

Jim

post-8142-1246727982_thumb.jpgpost-8142-1246728006_thumb.jpgpost-8142-1246728029_thumb.jpg

Here's mine on SGT201.....stripeless at the moment as we were between uninstall and install....Its all back together now.. Wnenn

post-8142-1246727982_thumb.jpg

post-8142-1246728006_thumb.jpg

post-8142-1246728029_thumb.jpg

Couple of questions for those already installed:

1) I see pics with a different strut brace in place - will it work with our stock Ford racing brace?

2) Will the supplied heat exchanger fit with the brake duct/driving light bezel and billet lower grill?

3) Can the Ford racing cold air intake be used or do you need to purchase Edelbrocks version?

I just watched an episode of Muscle Car on Spike and saw this kit installed. Really like the simplicity of the design as well as ease of installation. 3/36k warranty is a nice option!

Definitely leaning towards this kit!

Sam

AKA:

This statement is in the front of the Edelbrock installation manual...

SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING BULLITT AND SHELBY MUSTANGS

These limited edition Mustangs have been equipped from the factory with a larger diameter air inlet that alters

the signal provided by the Mass Air Flow Sensor supplied with this kit. Installation of the E-Force Supercharger on

these applications will require the use of a standard Mustang GT airbox or the Edelbrock Competition Air Intake #15808.

Please note that the Edelbrock Competition Air intake is not legal for emissions controlled applications and will require a custom calibration. Please contact Edelbrock Technical Support for any questions regarding installation and tuning for these applications.

3 year warranty option does not apply to "do it yourself" installations, only Edelbrock approved installers.

Olblue

I'm not overly concerned with the lack of emissions certification on the cold air intake, (prolly no worse than the Ford Racing one), my main concern is fitment with the stuff I already have on the car. I don't want to have to chop/cut/modify/remove things if I don't have to! I'll have to investigate installers here in Florida to see if a 3/36 warranty could be done - I'm not holding my breath though!

Sam

AKA:

I was not too concerned about emissions certification either (WV - home of "clean" coal burning power plants) but looking for a truely "plug and play" SC for my SGT.

I have the facility and knowledge to perform the install but when it comes to dyno access or tuning, it gets scary...

I cant imagine that a CAI over a stock air box with a "high flow" element would screw your tune up much but when it comes to warranty issues I suspect there would be a question.

Also, there are several disclaimers in the install book about "serious engine damage"... :headscratch:

Oh well, I'm in no hurry

:lurk:

To answer some questions.......

1. The strut tower brace that will fit is from a V-6/Bullit. It has a ford racing logo on it. It is 2.5" higher in the middle than the one that comes with the car.

2. The standard canned 5 psi boost tune that comes with the "kit" has to have a standard air box from a GT Mustang to be Carb Certified. These can be had for $50 tp $70 on the internet. The CAI that comes with the car cannot be used with the "canned tune". As per the notation in the instructions and as indicated in a post above, any thing other than the install that is in the kit has to be "tuned". I contacted Edelbrock regarding a tune using their Competition Cold Air intake and they said they didn't even have one for it and it would have to be done be a TUNER.

3. The "kit" fits perfect. Nothing to modify. It can be and has been installed by do it yourselfers. If you want the warranty any competant Ford store can install it and they warranty will be honored.

I have Serial #25. 400 HP at the back wheels is fun. It hasn't been dyno'd and probably will never be. The engine now matches the car.

Wayne (wnenn-#201)

To answer some questions.......

1. The strut tower brace that will fit is from a V-6/Bullit. It has a ford racing logo on it. It is 2.5" higher in the middle than the one that comes with the car.

2. The standard canned 5 psi boost tune that comes with the "kit" has to have a standard air box from a GT Mustang to be Carb Certified. These can be had for $50 tp $70 on the internet. The CAI that comes with the car cannot be used with the "canned tune". As per the notation in the instructions and as indicated in a post above, any thing other than the install that is in the kit has to be "tuned". I contacted Edelbrock regarding a tune using their Competition Cold Air intake and they said they didn't even have one for it and it would have to be done be a TUNER.

3. The "kit" fits perfect. Nothing to modify. It can be and has been installed by do it yourselfers. If you want the warranty any competant Ford store can install it and they warranty will be honored.

I have Serial #25. 400 HP at the back wheels is fun. It hasn't been dyno'd and probably will never be. The engine now matches the car.

Wayne (wnenn-#201)

Great! I could handle the stock air box until I got to a tuner. I see now you have stock hood with Bullit brace - that works for me! How about the Shelby brake duct bezel and lower grill, do you have that (can't tell from pic) and does the heat exchanger fit with those items in place?

This is getting more and more exciting by the minute!

Sam

AKA:

I bought some driving/fog lamps from a Ford Freestyle to install in the middle of the area along side the lower grille. I had installed these lights on my other SGT (Vista Blue Auto Convert # 0857). They were installedby cutting a 3" hole in the middle of the plastic pieces alongside the grille opening. Much to my dismay, they will not fit as the intercooler is too large (wide) and extends way past the grille opening to where it mounts on the frame rails of the car. The intercooler also goes almost to the backside of the front bumper. Bear in mind that the bumper angles back on both sides and the intercooler is straight. I believe the intercooler is larger than that used in some of the other manufacturers kits (ie some of the top mounted rear entry blowers can accommodate the brake duct and driving light kit) and I think they made the outside unit larger to accommodate the larger air charge cooler that is in the blower housing. I had to remove all the lower plastic pieces to install the black Shelby billet grille. There wasn't enough room to get my hand up to the ears on the grille to hold a nut in place on the top ear of that grille. It gets extremely tight. I know of the brake bezel and light kit but I doubt they will fit as there is a lot going on in that area. The other area that gets real full is behind the bumper on the passenger side. Thats where the pump for the intercooler resides. All in all Edelbrock designed this thing for a GT Mustang and it would accommodate the standard driving lights and lower grille area just fine on a GT. We (Shelby SGT owners) are not the object of sales for their kit. One interesting item is that the direction of the alternator is reversed from normal and it is out in front of the engine. I would suggest downloading the installation directions from one of the websites......I don't remember which one has it and jhave a look through the pictures. They are very thorough. while I didn't do the install (because I wanted the warranty), I was up at the Ford Shop a lot while Tony was doing the install. He was having a ball working on/installing the kit on basically a new clean non greasy car. He normally gets to do all the diesel work and is their "best" guy. It all can be accommodated. I've decided to install the driving lights behind the upper grille. This will neccesitate moving the horns to the middle to get enough room (depth) to accommodate the lights at either side of the horns. I can do all this be removing the grille and mounting the lights on the back side of it. Think about upgrading the brakes after installing the blower. I had slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads and braided lines installed. The beauty of these "muscle cars" is that they do it all well.....go, turn and stop! The muscle of the late 60's and early 70's only had go......If you have questions let me know. Wnenn

Archived