TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tell your dealer to keep all the Plastic Covers for you

ColdwaterHotrod

I don’t know about the rest of you but I sure am glad I requested for the dealer to keep ALL the plastic on the carpets & seats when I picked the car up so I could keep them. While placing them back on the car for storage I noticed stickers that had been applied to the drivers side carpet area that had a Build Sequence Number on it for what car it was to go in & on the Passenger Side seat the sticker had a Commit Number for the vehicle. Has anyone else noticed this or kept them also?

Another thing I noticed while looking under the car was some decals that identified the gear ratio, lube to use in the rear end, left shock vs. right shock decals, & a Commit Number on the rear axle housing & etc...

I took these for future reference & preservation if ever needed for restoration 40 to 50 years down the road

See photos I added to the Arrivals page for more info.

You must be a young buck, i'll be dead by then, or to damn old to be doing a restoration.

40 is old? I never said it would be me that did it, it's in my will that the kids have to use any & all money to restore it that way they have fun spending it & I still get to tell them what to buy after I'm long gone :hysterical2:

I don’t know about the rest of you but I sure am glad I requested for the dealer to keep ALL the plastic on the carpets & seats when I picked the car up so I could keep them. While placing them back on the car for storage I noticed stickers that had been applied to the drivers side carpet area that had a Build Sequence Number on it for what car it was to go in & on the Passenger Side seat the sticker had a Commit Number for the vehicle. Has anyone else noticed this or kept them also?

Another thing I noticed while looking under the car was some decals that identified the gear ratio, lube to use in the rear end, left shock vs. right shock decals, & a Commit Number on the rear axle housing & etc...

I took these for future reference & preservation if ever needed for restoration 40 to 50 years down the road

Coldwater, I have done same as you but maybe a bit more even....... Did you keep the antenna sleeve and the stub that came in place of it?

ColdwaterHotrod I was just looking at your pic's and this one that I'm showing hear on your car is black and on mine it's chrome or more like aluminum......there seems to be alot of different parts or I should say finishes on our shelbys......I'll take a pic of it tomorrow when its warmer out , and show you the difference....has anyone else noticed these diifference parts or should say finishes to the parts some are black some aluminum ......?

post-6677-1164775347_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164775347_thumb.jpg

Coldwater, I have done same as you but maybe a bit more even....... Did you keep the antenna sleeve and the stub that came in place of it?

I did not know about that. The dealer already had the antenna on the car & the sleeve was nowhere to be found :rant:

ColdwaterHotrod I was just looking at your pic's and this one that I'm showing hear on your car is black and on mine it's chrome or more like aluminum......there seems to be alot of different parts or I should say finishes on our shelbys......I'll take a pic of it tomorrow when its warmer out , and show you the difference....has anyone else noticed these diifference parts or should say finishes to the parts some are black some aluminum ......?

:ohsnap: Please post pic's that's interesting?

It looks like they didn't even paint your rear axle housing cover (rear end gear) to help prevent it from rusting. :doh:

WONDER WHY?

Was yours an early build?

Isn't that cover made out of a non- Rust metal ? My GT/CS has the same cover.

It looks like they didn't even paint your rear axle housing cover (rear end gear) to help prevent it from rusting. :doh:

WONDER WHY?

Was yours an early build?

Mine was built on the end of Aug, here are a few other pic's of different diff covers , from other cars on the form.....and one other shot from a different angle......

post-6677-1164825042_thumb.jpg

drive_shaft.bmp

post-6677-1164832691_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832707_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832732_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832746_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832771_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832788_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164825042_thumb.jpg

drive_shaft.bmp

post-6677-1164832691_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832707_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832732_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832746_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832771_thumb.jpg

post-6677-1164832788_thumb.jpg

While your at it, you need to record all the paint dabs and blobs too. They all mean something and they will need to be restored when that time comes. Then comes all the pieces and parts and their finish and color. For a full restoration all this needs to be brought back. There are books and websites dedicated to these marks for the vintage cars... Ford, GM and Chrysler alike. I have spent countless hours researching and restoring them on my '66 convert. As for the Shelby I have just looked at them briefly but it is interesting how somethings have not changed in 40 yrs of the production.

here we see the difference between a price sensitive production car and and a higher end car. The accountants and sourcing people are not going to pay even $1 more for painting a normally unseen part when you are buying 100K parts a year. It adds up. Plus a volume part may be sourced from more than one supplier so you might see differences in finishes that are not controlled by purchase spec. I don't know about the specific parts shown in these photos but it's true in general.

Mine diff. cover is chrome looking as well. Looks like plated CS.

After seeing picks of Ebony's I am going to get mine off the ground and take care of any rust NOW. In fact if I have rusted parts I will be asking Ford about this.

Nothing like a rusted undercarriage first year into the car ?

my 2cents

Some of the Covers were zinc plated while others were just black most likely different vendors or a change in production. The zinc plated covers will not rust very easily as seen in the pics

both of my cars had the zinc cover

as far as the rusty parts is mostly cast iron pieces that rust the fastest

I have a special solvent I spray on and wipe off to keep it looking nice. Makes it easy because I can just put it up on the hoist.....

There are a lot of different ways to protect the parts from rusting

So there is a little rust on the underside of the car. What is the easy fix. Is it really something to be concerned about. I would think not. Where do you draw the line ?

Rust on metal parts is nothing to be concerned about :hysterical::hysterical:

If you do not plan on keeping the car, I guess not, but, if you plan on keeping it long term, it may.

Paint works good and its easy.

Rust on metal parts is nothing to be concerned about :hysterical::hysterical:

If you do not plan on keeping the car, I guess not, but, if you plan on keeping it long term, it may.

Paint works good and its easy.

so, is it your plan to paint every metal part under the car to prevent the rust.

I wont use the laughing guy, cuz I am asking a serious question. :shrug:

Archived