TEAM SHELBY FORUM

latest dyno #'s

I made it to my dyno appointment at A.E.D. in Cameron Park (about 30 miles west of Sacramento) this morning. I snagged some pics of the shop and some video of each of the 3 pulls.

I went back through my last dyno sheet (which was done after I installed my cams and some other small parts) and I saw a peak of 331 RWHP (on 2/16/09). I don't have that sheet with me at work, so I can't recall the peak torque. Anyway, since that dyno pull, I've done just 2 engine mods - Steeda underdrive pulleys and the Steeda billet charge motion plates. I was running a similar custom tune from Bamachips.

Today, my SGT recorded a peak of 346.5 RWHP @ 6475 RPM and 319.4 ft.lbs @ 5150 RPM! :happy feet:

The guy at the shop said that these were the highest numbers he's personally seen on any NA 3V. Based on an estimated 18% drivetrain loss, that puts the HP at the crank at over 420 HP, without a supercharger. Either way, I'm really happy with the results.

I had 2 reasons for getting the pulls - 1) to verify the gains by the last 2 mods and 2) to help determine whether I wanted the Paxton 1200 or 2200.

I've decided for sure that the 1200 will provide me with more than enough power, considering where I'm at now. Obviously, I will lose the UD pulleys (and offer them for sale here), but that's only a small margin of the power this car is making.

Anyway, here are the pics I grabbed at the shop. I'm still loading the 3 videos of the dyno runs, so I'll post them up asap!

Ken

EDIT: You can find my mod list in my profile, if you're curious as to how I made almost 350 RWHP.

DSC06748.jpg

DSC06747.jpg

DSC06749.jpg

DSC06750.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

Hey Ken nice #'s !! I thought you had installed cams into your car ??? I wonder if you did what the numbers would be!!

Anthony

Yeah I've got Comp stage 2's.

The first dyno pulls I had (where I had a peak of 331 RWHP) was just after I had the cams installed back in February.

Ken

EDIT: Here's the list of my 'performance' mods. The rest of my mods are in my profile. The cams are definitely the biggest source of HP gain that I have.

Comp XFI stage 2 cams

Comp valve springs & retainers

BBK twin 62mm throttle body

Steeda carbon fiber intake elbow

Steeda underdrive pulleys

Steeda billet idler pulleys

Steeda billet charge motion plates

FRPP cold air intake

Bamachips custom race tune

JBA shorty exhaust headers

FRPP mufflers (#M-5230-5GT)

FRPP 4.10 gears

The first dyno pulls I had (where I had a peak of 331 RWHP) was just after I had the cams installed back in February.

Ken

EDIT: Here's the list of my 'performance' mods. The rest of my mods are in my profile. The cams are definitely the biggest source of HP gain that I have.

Comp XFI stage 2 cams

FRPP cold air intake

FRPP 4.10 gears

whats your MPG's looking like? some where in the 15-17 range around town?(i hope cause i want some of these parts) highway milage?

Great numbers. Congrats. :) You mentioned 18% drivetrain loss. Is your car an auto?

For manual SGTs its around 12% drivetrain loss. The two EPA tests at the crank for the SGTs was 319 and 320. They went with 319 to be safe. Stock manual SGTs dyno at around 280rwhp SAE on average (most fall in the 275-285 range on a dynojet).

whats your MPG's looking like? some where in the 15-17 range around town?(i hope cause i want some of these parts) highway milage?

My combined average is 18.1 MPG. Not too shabby at all.

Great numbers. Congrats. :) You mentioned 18% drivetrain loss. Is your car an auto?

For manual SGTs its around 12% drivetrain loss. The two EPA tests at the crank for the SGTs was 319 and 320. They went with 319 to be safe. Stock manual SGTs dyno at around 280rwhp SAE on average (most fall in the 275-285 range on a dynojet).

Nope, it's a 5 speed. The 3 shops I've used around here have all told me to expect 17%-19% drivetrain loss, so I just split the difference. The lowest that I've ever heard for the S197 is 15%.

However, your math certainly adds up using the stock RWHP #'s compared to the advertised stock crank #. So I guess it's a 400 HP car. I'm still pretty happy with that. ;)

Ken

My combined average is 18.1 MPG. Not too shabby at all.

Nope, it's a 5 speed. The 3 shops I've used around here have all told me to expect 17%-19% drivetrain loss, so I just split the difference. The lowest that I've ever heard for the S197 is 15%.

However, your math certainly adds up using the stock RWHP #'s compared to the advertised stock crank #. So I guess it's a 400 HP car. I'm still pretty happy with that. ;)

Ken

IM LOVING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! i could deal with 18.1 mpg al day long!

Ken

Have you driven a Whipple car?

If not, we should get together so you can drive mine. You may want to re-think the centrifugal.

Michael

Yeah I've been in a Whipple, Paxton, KB, and all sorts of modded out NA's.

I love them all, but I'm already making way more power than stock, so I don't want to push my internals too far.

I really like the Paxton for the road course also. Same blower that Griggs Racing uses in their GR40TT's and GR40RT's.

Anyway, we should meet up sometime either way and beat the hell out of each other's cars for 1/2 a day! :happy feet:

Ken

p.s. Are you headed to Vegas in January Michael? If so, we should get a carpool together man.

Alright man, you've convinced me. I just need you to finance me at 0.9%. I'll send you a paypal invoice asap. That cool? :hysterical:

Haha funny thing is THAT was a reason many 07 owners were upset who did not know about ordering the 07 s/c from SAI, they could not then send it back and getv the s/c wrapped into the financing of the car IMO.

But hey look make it 12% and send me the title to your car for collateral and we got a deal, btw if your late once its 29%...wait Visa beat me to that game...haha...

Look I'l just give you 10k for your classic Mustang and you're in business...haha!

BTW that AED shop is amazing...

Haha funny thing is THAT was a reason many 07 owners were upset who did not know about ordering the 07 s/c from SAI, they could not then send it back and getv the s/c wrapped into the financing of the car IMO.

But hey look make it 12% and send me the title to your car for collateral and we got a deal, btw if your late once its 29%...wait Visa beat me to that game...haha...

Look I'l just give you 10k for your classic Mustang and you're in business...haha!

BTW that AED shop is amazing...

:hysterical:

You crack me up! The 66 is all yours my man. I'm tired of waiting waiting waiting for the damn thing to be done anyway. :waiting:

And you're right dude, AED is an awesome shop. The kid that runs the place is no older than me, probably younger. I was really impressed with how cool and knowledgeable the guys out there were and how many kick ass Mustangs they had laying around. They're definitely my go to shop around here.

Ken

Ken

Comp XFI stage 2 cams

FRPP cold air intake

FRPP 4.10 gears

Thanks for the info ken, I'm thinking of letting Evolution performance tune my car. Also Bama wrote me a tune but it was called a performance tune. I have to call him to see what the difference is between your tune and mine.

Anthony

Yeah I've been in a Whipple, Paxton, KB, and all sorts of modded out NA's.

I love them all, but I'm already making way more power than stock, so I don't want to push my internals too far.

I really like the Paxton for the road course also. Same blower that Griggs Racing uses in their GR40TT's and GR40RT's.

Anyway, we should meet up sometime either way and beat the hell out of each other's cars for 1/2 a day! :happy feet:

Ken

p.s. Are you headed to Vegas in January Michael? If so, we should get a carpool together man.

Ken,

We will be organizing the 3rd annual Norcal to Embassy Suites sprint. Last year we had six cars and had a blast. We will coordinate as it gets closer.

let me know the next time you are going to Griggs or Sear's Point and I will meet you there.

Michael

Ken,

We will be organizing the 3rd annual Norcal to Embassy Suites sprint. Last year we had six cars and had a blast. We will coordinate as it gets closer.

let me know the next time you are going to Griggs or Sear's Point and I will meet you there.

Michael

Very cool, I'd love to join the sprint south. I'll actually be at Griggs for 1/2 day tomorrow. Short notice I know!

congrats.. nice numbers :shift:

btw.. what is the difference between the 1200 and the 2200 novi?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

The 1200 is just a smaller head unit than the 2200, so it can operate at a slightly lower psi.

They are interchangeable and use the same mounting brackets.

Ken

Very IMPRESSIVE numbers !

I'm still looking for a good Dyno here in Austin.....anyone??

The two I have found don't have the correct phone #s online ! sigh.....

Motion Dynamics

B&B Performance

Here's the print out from the dyno run. You'll notice that the peak torque #'s are written in. This is because there was a huge torque spike at the beginning of the 3rd pull, which threw it off.

So he pulled the trend on the computer to find the accurate recording. I asked about the wavy HP line at the high RPM's. He mentioned that this is because of my stage 2 cams and specifically because I chose not to install cam phaser limiters. No big deal, just pointing it out. You'll notice that the engine was still on the way up, even at 6475 RPM's. He shut it down for obvious reasons, but it was nice to see that there is still potential beyond the rev limit. Anyway, I always like seeing the actual print outs when people post their numbers, so here ya go. :)

Ken

scan0002.jpg

thats awesome ken i cant wait to catch up to you that thing must feel real strong.

Thanks greaser! The car really does feel great. It does pretty damn well for an NA engine.

I'll have all sorts of take offs for you, once that Paxton arrives. ;)

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
sounds great ken i cant wait for you and me

Ken,

On the cam install. What tool did you use to install the springs? I assume you did not pull the heads.

Why did you leave out the phase limiters?

I have not installed cams on the 4.6 before but have installed many on the old 5.0. Trying to learn a little from you.

It looks complicated to some degree. I think I remeber you giving a run down on this but I can not find it on the form.

I really like the cams , bigger throttle body and under-drive pullies for some quick HP.

I think I read the cost of the cams was about 1K in parts. Has anyone paid a ford dealer to install these? I may do myself if able.

Thanks Much,

-Billy

Archived