TEAM SHELBY FORUM

engine oil

Torched10

That is what mine had and it looked identical to a FL-820S.

Well the baby had its 1st diaper change today,and it was dirty at 650miles.The oil was discolored a bit,but filter was much heavier than the new one,which was half full of oil,and the old one was empty.Might have just been oil absorpion in te old unit.but am glad i did it now.Thanks for all the advice.BTW no covers,and just a bit of spillage,but easy to clean up

Wonder why they wanted you to wait until 1200 miles. Did they give you a logical reason?

No, but the guy that told me had near a million dollars worth of shelbys at his home so seems like he knew what he was talking about. I didn't ask. I just took his word for it. This is one of those things that if you ask 10 experts you're gonna' get ten different answers. I would say this guy is about as near an expert with Shelbys I will ever know. btw...I took pics of his cars...will post in seperate thread later.

Well the baby had its 1st diaper change today,and it was dirty at 650miles.The oil was discolored a bit,but filter was much heavier than the new one,which was half full of oil,and the old one was empty.Might have just been oil absorpion in te old unit.but am glad i did it now.Thanks for all the advice.BTW no covers,and just a bit of spillage,but easy to clean up

Did you do it yourself. Was it a PITA? Details.........please.

Did you do it yourself. Was it a PITA? Details.........please.

yes--but used a friendslift at his house.Filter was a little tight,but came off with some pressure.If you had to work laying on the ground,might be tougher,but not impossible--took me 20 minutes.Put oil in the filter(half full) before you replace.Little spillage,but cleaned up easily--now i know it was done right.Did buy some dress-up stuff from AmericanMusclecar.com, ie ps,pb,oil caps--loks good but not overdone(thanks goldgus)

yes--but used a friendslift at his house.Filter was a little tight,but came off with some pressure.If you had to work laying on the ground,might be tougher,but not impossible--took me 20 minutes.Put oil in the filter(half full) before you replace.Little spillage,but cleaned up easily--now i know it was done right.Did buy some dress-up stuff from AmericanMusclecar.com, ie ps,pb,oil caps--loks good but not overdone(thanks goldgus)

Thanks. Looks like something I can do myself. Dirty at 650mi? Sounds like I should start ordering everything I need to do this at home. Last question from me. What tool did you use to take the oil filter off? I'm guessing it was one of the standard oil filter wrenches with the rubber strap that wraps around the filter? Thanks again.

Thanks. Looks like something I can do myself. Dirty at 650mi? Sounds like I should start ordering everything I need to do this at home. Last question from me. What tool did you use to take the oil filter off? I'm guessing it was one of the standard oil filter wrenches with the rubber strap that wraps around the filter? Thanks again.

Best to use a strap filter wrench, I forget the wrench size, it is metric. I jack up my drivers side and place a jack stand for safty and craw under her and put a rag over the strut. use a over size oil pan it helps alot. I only use Ford oil and I bought mine for $7.19 QT and reg filter was $4.00 and some change. I will only do my oil change myself as dealer twice put in the wrong oil. Last none dealer oil change was $120.00 I'm doing them my self as long as I can do them.

What tool did you use to take the oil filter off? I'm guessing it was one of the standard oil filter wrenches with the rubber strap that wraps around the filter? Thanks again.

This is the one I use - you can get both hands on it and squeeze. It will put dents in the filter, but that just helps it grip. Costs less than $4 on sale at Harbor Freight; you can find similar ones at any auto parts store, but it'll probably cost twice as much. The strap-type wrenches may work okay on a filter that's hand-tightened, but the OEM filter is cranked on so tight that it may pose a challenge loosening with a strap wrench.

Filter_Wrench.jpg

This is the one I use - you can get both hands on it and squeeze. It will put dents in the filter, but that just helps it grip. Costs less than $4 on sale at Harbor Freight; you can find similar ones at any auto parts store, but it'll probably cost twice as much. The strap-type wrenches may work okay on a filter that's hand-tightened, but the OEM filter is cranked on so tight that it may pose a challenge loosening with a strap wrench.

Filter_Wrench.jpg

thats what i used--had it for a while,and not sure where i got it,maybe NAPA,since i go there often

I just installed a Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter on my car - discovered the new filter is 1/4" shorter in length than the old FL-820S I removed. Bought another FL-820S at another Walmart - same thing it was the smaller size.

IMG_3684.jpg

You guys are lucky, try changing oil on a Nissan GTR, $100 per liter, factory certified "GTR" label oil only, anything else will void your warranty. BTW, that "GTR" oil is made by Mobil :cry: , can't buy off the shelve Mobil, must be "GTR" and only from a dealer.

• 6 months later...

Archived