TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lifting car with twin-post hoist?

TUNGSTENMIKE

First post, so hello eveybody. This is a great forum - I have been lurking around here for about six months, got my car (tngsten/silver coupe) about three weeks ago and have a question on raising it with a lift. I purchased a DVD shop manual on E-Bay and it says to raise the car only on the pinch welds where you would use a jack for changing a tire - very specific about this location. Are the pinch welds really strong enough to lift the car without bending them? I have only seen one picture of a car on a lift on this forum, but could not really tell where the hoist pads were located. Feedback, info, or pictures would really be appreciated.

First post, so hello eveybody. This is a great forum - I have been lurking around here for about six months, got my car (tngsten/silver coupe) about three weeks ago and have a question on raising it with a lift. I purchased a DVD shop manual on E-Bay and it says to raise the car only on the pinch welds where you would use a jack for changing a tire - very specific about this location. Are the pinch welds really strong enough to lift the car without bending them? I have only seen one picture of a car on a lift on this forum, but could not really tell where the hoist pads were located. Feedback, info, or pictures would really be appreciated.

Welcome Mike.

I probably have more questions than answers for you, as I don't have my car yet....but here goes.

Does the car come with a factory jack? The reason I ask is that some jacks are specifically designed to use on the pinch welds, specifically the old scissor type jacks. I was a mechanic for 8 years, I'm sure I could find a better place to jack the car than the pinch welds if you use a regular floor jack....once I get mine. :banghead: (rpretzel imitation).

Dave

Welcome Mike.

I probably have more questions than answers for you, as I don't have my car yet....but here goes.

Does the car come with a factory jack? The reason I ask is that some jacks are specifically designed to use on the pinch welds, specifically the old scissor type jacks. I was a mechanic for 8 years, I'm sure I could find a better place to jack the car than the pinch welds if you use a regular floor jack....once I get mine. :banghead: (rpretzel imitation).

Dave

My lift has heavy rubber pads, lifting on the pinch welds of my 2003 bent the metal. I went a little further in on a reinforce crossmember of the unibody. I suspect the same thing will hold true on the Shelby :shrug:

Well guys I just finished putting mine up on jackstands ...what I found was in front of the rear wheels and just back of the front wheels..... there is a location inset about 2 inches by 4 inches ...same as in the mustang manual .....it show jack locations ...what I did was set the jackstand just inside a bit .....right along the inside of the frame.......where the frame and cross member meet, and seems to be ok ...after all four jackstands where in place I opened the doors and all seems ok , no binding and the doors seem to close properly.

Welcome Mike.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Shelby does not come with a jack, but the jack locations on the car are the same as any Mustang. If I were to use a floor jack I would use the K-Member for the front and the axle shaft tube as close to the tire as possible for the rear. But my question is for using a lift - not a floor jack - and you can not get the lift arms to these locations. This is the same type of lift a dealer would have in their service bays, so where do they place the lift pads or do they just bend the bottom of the car and you won't know if you don't look.

Hi Dave,

The Shelby does not come with a jack, but the jack locations on the car are the same as any Mustang. If I were to use a floor jack I would use the K-Member for the front and the axle shaft tube as close to the tire as possible for the rear. But my question is for using a lift - not a floor jack - and you can not get the lift arms to these locations. This is the same type of lift a dealer would have in their service bays, so where do they place the lift pads or do they just bend the bottom of the car and you won't know if you don't look.

OH I see, I didn't understand. Sorry if I hijacked you right to a different question. Perhaps someone who works at a dealer can ask one of the techs...like ratnacage. I'll go back to my corner. :read:

Dave

Can you cut slots in the pads if they are thick enough for the pinch welds to fit into & still not be folded over?

Mine were not thick enough, but I don't know why you couldn't. If you are handy, I suppose you could take a piece of steel tube and cut a slot in it, then maybe dip in liquid plastic. It would just a pad adapter of sorts. :shift:

see attachement its pretty hard to argue with FORDS lift points

I also included Winter storage recommendations from FORD and lift points for all new Fords including the Edge

see attachement its pretty hard to argue with FORDS lift points

I also included Winter storage recommendations from FORD and lift points for all new Fords including the Edge

Thanks for the attachment - this is what I was looking for. The 2007 Ford shop manual does not show these locations - don't understand why, but your publication has 2006 date so must be correct. Would still like to see pics of underside of car on a hoist using these locations if anybody has them someday.

Thanks for the attachment - this is what I was looking for. The 2007 Ford shop manual does not show these locations - don't understand why, but your publication has 2006 date so must be correct. Would still like to see pics of underside of car on a hoist using these locations if anybody has them someday.

Winter has set in here and car is stored for now.

Here are a few pics and one shows the rear location. Will try to find one of front location. I found quite a bit of video of mounting points and if find time will post it for you

th_IMG_3192.jpg

th_IMG_3194.jpg

th_IMG_3234.jpg

Ask your dealer, they would have done the PDI for it and put it up on their lift.

Archived