TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First oil change...

OCD

I got the ramps from Autozone but if I had to do it over, I would get the kind that won't slide any. By your photo, it looks like the Shelby takes 7 quarts of oil, is that right? What type Ford oil filter is that? I only have 300 miles on my car even though I've had it for 6 months and I'm ready to do my first oil change. Your input is appreciated..

I assume you're referring to my picture. I put in 6-1/2 quarts. Filter is a Motorcraft FL820S; costs less than $4 at Walmart.

Get a good oil filter wrench to remove the OEM filter; they install them pretty tight at the factory. I used the plier type that I can get two hands on.

These are the reasons I do all my own maintenance including oil changes .I've tried a number of ways to keep the oil off the chassis and off the ground and have found the best way is to hold a garbage bag under the filter as I'm unscrewing it so the filter and oil fall into the bag-all stays clean! Another trick I devised is to tack weld the pliers type oil filter wrench to the oil filter cup so taking the filter off is a lot easier. Only those who have been under the car with a pliers type wrench and crushed the filter will appreciate this Good luck!

I would be very carefull with the tack weld idea. I'm sure it works well but if one time the tolerances for the filter are slightly off you could end up with it arcing inside on the threads and have your filter arc'd tight to the mount. I know myself having been a welder/fitter for 22 years I would'nt take the chance, sometimes electricity takes the path it wants to take not where you point it. Can you imagine what the dealer would try to charge you then!! Just my opinion hope I did'nt offend. But now all that being said myself I would still bring it to the dealer while under warranty, even if you put a change interval sticker on and show them the purchased oil and filter and the receit if something goes wrong with the engine Ford and or your dealer may weasel out of the warranty saying anything from using the wrong oil to a improperly trained person changing the oil. It sounds rediculous I know but I have heard of such things happening from friends that are tech's, managers, and even owners. Its not always up to the dealer whether your repair will be covered under the warranty. Ford themselves have say over certain repairs before the service manager does. As far as getting buggered on service. I don't think the service managers or the tech's want me coming back pissed off.

• 1 month later...

Update on leakage...

Couple weeks ago got the oil changed again and told them it was still dripping from the first time they did it... Week later, still dripping... Went back and said there must be some kind of leak... They check it out, said they found no problems, must be from oil on suspension... I didn't believe them so I took it to another dealership and explained what was going on to the tech... I aked him to look over the whole car...

He found the oil leak right of way, oil filter wasn't on tight enough... So in other words, BOTH times Healy did the oil changes the filter was put on too loose...

They will never see this car again in thier service bays...

Freedom Ford will!! I walked into thier parts dept too and my jaw dropped... Almost every mod part on my list was sitting on the shelves!! Thats where I got the door sills...

CAI, mufflers and tune is next!! Then the wheelhop issue I get when my foot slips off the clutch has to be rectified... My foot seems to slip a lot!! Maybe I need different shoes or sumthin...

DSC00402.JPG

Update on leakage...

Couple weeks ago got the oil changed again and told them it was still dripping from the first time they did it... Week later, still dripping... Went back and said there must be some kind of leak... They check it out, said they found no problems, must be from oil on suspension... I didn't believe them so I took it to another dealership and explained what was going on to the tech... I aked him to look over the whole car...

He found the oil leak right of way, oil filter wasn't on tight enough... So in other words, BOTH times Healy did the oil changes the filter was put on too loose...

They will never see this car again in thier service bays...

Freedom Ford will!! I walked into thier parts dept too and my jaw dropped... Almost every mod part on my list was sitting on the shelves!! Thats where I got the door sills...

CAI, mufflers and tune is next!! Then the wheelhop issue I get when my foot slips off the clutch has to be rectified... My foot seems to slip a lot!! Maybe I need different shoes or sumthin...

DSC00402.JPG

Changing the oil is easy. I do it myself for piece of mind.

Archived