TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First oil change...

OCD

I have put 750 Canadian clicks on my Shelby so I decided to get the oil changed, just to make sure nothing is floating around in there...

When I went to pick her up I was impressed that the service manager kept her inside the shop so he could keep an eye on her... Then I get home and pop the hood and I see that whoever put the oil in her, spilt it all over the front of the valve cover, not just a little dribble either... More like a slosh with a half as :censored: d if any attemp to wipe it up...

Then, I look under the car by the oil filter and there are a couple of drops of oil on the floor... Upon further investigation I get down there and run my hand along the suspension under the filter and yup, covered with oil... Now I can see it would be pretty well impossible to not spill any oil when removing the filter but maybe put some plastic or absorbant towels over the suspension parts while doing it... Or at least clean up the mess...

I am sorry to hear that, it is amazing how half as :censored: d most work is done. You would think a guy would want to take care of a clean, new, bad ass car when the majority of cars he sees are dirty and neglected. Go figure, either jealousy or doesn't give a s :censored: .

Might want to verify the the proper oil was used, hope you dont hear any ticking.

I stay with my car and watch them change it.

The guy that does my oil change uses cardboard folded to make a V trough and holds it under the filter when removing it to catch the oil and funnel it into the oil catch drum. If he spills any he cleans it up.

I always put a marking on the filter to make sure they've really changed it. I caught one dealer once.

I have put 750 Canadian clicks on my Shelby so I decided to get the oil changed, just to make sure nothing is floating around in there...

When I went to pick her up I was impressed that the service manager kept her inside the shop so he could keep an eye on her... Then I get home and pop the hood and I see that whoever put the oil in her, spilt it all over the front of the valve cover, not just a little dribble either... More like a slosh with a half as :censored: d if any attemp to wipe it up...

Then, I look under the car by the oil filter and there are a couple of drops of oil on the floor... Upon further investigation I get down there and run my hand along the suspension under the filter and yup, covered with oil... Now I can see it would be pretty well impossible to not spill any oil when removing the filter but maybe put some plastic or absorbant towels over the suspension parts while doing it... Or at least clean up the mess...

Ford made no attempt to locate the filter in a place to make changing the filter a decent experience. There are ways to keep it off the chassis, but Ford could have tried a little harder in the design, too.

I try real hard and 1/2 the time I still mess up and get it on the chassis, too. I do, however, wipe mine up.

Sound like the oil jocky at your dealership just didn't care.

In my younger days I drive the car back up to the front, march the service writer up and show him, and most often the service writer didn't give a crap either. Sometimes even argue that the oil on the seat / dash / steering wheel / etc... was unavoidable.

Now I just do as much as I can myself. It just isn't worth the hassle...

I also have a hard time not getting oil on my chassis while changing the oil. I do all the oil changes myself and even to this day I have to place foil over it and sometime that does not even work. The funny thing is in my 4CYL Colorado GM was smart enough to put a little plastic catch pan with a funnel under the oil filter that protects the chassis. It's a $18,000 truck, and a $50,000 mustang. :headscratch:

that's why I do almost all the work on my car. I just don't trust anyone wrenching on it.

Yep... oil is one of the things I can still do so I do :)

If I could do everything I would, but I'm not mechanic hehe... but I can definitely change my own oil ;)

I change my own oild for the above reasons.

I find that wrapping a piece of tin foil over the top of the cross arm bar keeps the oil from driping on it and entering the hole that is in top of that arm. If it gets in there...it will take a week to drip out the bottom of the arm where there is a drip hole. The center of that cross arm is open and you don't want oil in there.

I find that wrapping a piece of tin foil over the top of the cross arm bar keeps the oil from driping on it and entering the hole that is in top of that arm. If it gets in there...it will take a week to drip out the bottom of the arm where there is a drip hole. The center of that cross arm is open and you don't want oil in there.

+1. I do not find it difficult to change the oil, and that aluminum foil seems to do the job fine - changed my oil yesterday in about a half hour or so! I will roll out a sheet about a foot and a half long or so, wedge it up as far as it will go, and wrap the arm.

All set!

Exactly why I'm the only one working on my car....with the exception of wheel alignments.

On oil changes I take a screwdriver and punch a hole in the most accessible part of the filter and deflect the oil into

the drain pan with a piece of cardboard. There are oil filter relocation kits on the market you can use as well.

Chip

I change my own oil myself also just for peace of mind.

My car had about 2k miles and I decided to take it in for service to have the oil changed. Called the dealer ahead of time to check the price and was first told that my car did NOT require full sythetic oil at which I asked the service guy to check his specs because I know is takes 5w50. He says "yeah your right it does take full sythethic. First thing friday morning I have the oil changed. I should have stood there and watched but I didnt want to be rude. I take the car out later that weekend and put about 120 miles on it over two days only to look at the reciept later in the glovebox and see they charged me for 5W20 full sythetic. Concerned that I have the wrong oil in the car I take the car back in first thing Monday morning. The dealer refused to change it to 5W50 because they say they just charged me for 5W20 but they are confident it has the correct oil and they saved me some money by charging me the wrong price. All I wanted was for them to change it for peace of mind. Since I didnt feel confident my car had the correct oil I went to another dealer bought the correct 5W50 myself and took it home to change it. When I put the car up on ramps I find oil all over my chasis from the filter change yet not a drop on the oil pan or a scratch on the drain plug. So I pull the plug only to find dark dirty oil draining out. Either my oil turned very dark and dirty with only 120 miles or the dealer charged me for an oil change and only changed the filter.?? Dont know what you guys thing but I will stick with changing my own oil.

I change my own oil myself also just for peace of mind.

My car had about 2k miles and I decided to take it in for service to have the oil changed. Called the dealer ahead of time to check the price and was first told that my car did NOT require full sythetic oil at which I asked the service guy to check his specs because I know is takes 5w50. He says "yeah your right it does take full sythethic. First thing friday morning I have the oil changed. I should have stood there and watched but I didnt want to be rude. I take the car out later that weekend and put about 120 miles on it over two days only to look at the reciept later in the glovebox and see they charged me for 5W20 full sythetic. Concerned that I have the wrong oil in the car I take the car back in first thing Monday morning. The dealer refused to change it to 5W50 because they say they just charged me for 5W20 but they are confident it has the correct oil and they saved me some money by charging me the wrong price. All I wanted was for them to change it for peace of mind. Since I didnt feel confident my car had the correct oil I went to another dealer bought the correct 5W50 myself and took it home to change it. When I put the car up on ramps I find oil all over my chasis from the filter change yet not a drop on the oil pan or a scratch on the drain plug. So I pull the plug only to find dark dirty oil draining out. Either my oil turned very dark and dirty with only 120 miles or the dealer charged me for an oil change and only changed the filter.?? Dont know what you guys thing but I will stick with changing my own oil.

These are the reasons I do all my own maintenance including oil changes .I've tried a number of ways to keep the oil off the chassis and off the ground and have found the best way is to hold a garbage bag under the filter as I'm unscrewing it so the filter and oil fall into the bag-all stays clean! Another trick I devised is to tack weld the pliers type oil filter wrench to the oil filter cup so taking the filter off is a lot easier. Only those who have been under the car with a pliers type wrench and crushed the filter will appreciate this Good luck!

That sucks. I just got mine changed, $75 bf rebate. Ouch

Is that the norm?

I got my third and last free oil change from my dealer...at first he wanted to charge me $99. I was like, "Wow, a $100 oil change". And some lady in the place piped in, "What a shame". It turned out I didn't have to pay, but I am going out to buy something to raise my car off the floor and change my own oil.

I too had a crappy experience the first time the dealer changed my oil. Got home after oil change and next moring went to work. My wife called me and said there was oil all over the garage. I went out and checked my dip stick (Jimmy) and it was good...but drove it to the dealer after work. The cleaned it up, but it is so sad they did such crappy work.

Yep, buy something to get some clearance under the bad boy and do it right yourself and for a lot less then $99.

+2

You're lucky if that's all the wrong they did. I would never trust the knuckle-heads they task with changing oil on any of my cars.

what kind of ramps do you guys use to drive up on or whatever, to get some clearance to get under the car?

I bought a set of Race Ramps. They are two piece and work great!! Very light weight and with the two piece design option you can remove the rear section of the ramp to access behind the wheels without have to crawl around the ramp. I use mine for oil changes and mufflers.

Check them out at www.raceramps.com

I bought a set of Race Ramps. They are two piece and work great!! Very light weight and with the two piece design option you can remove the rear section of the ramp to access behind the wheels without have to crawl around the ramp. I use mine for oil changes and mufflers.

Check them out at www.raceramps.com

I like those race ramps - I'll have to get a set some day.

Does the step/stop provide effective feedback to signal when to stop giving it throttle. I almost drove off the end of my wood ramps backing up onto them. One tire was resting on top of the stop.

I stopped in at the dealership today to say hi to my salesman and show him the Shelby after I got her power polished and shining!! First thing I noticed is the two KR's they had in the showroom last friday were gone... They sold them both over the weekend... They had a siver/blue stripe and a red/silver stripe... Then I saw the silver one ripping around this afternoon... A guy bought the red one for his wife...

Anyway, i told him about the oil spillage... He got on the phone to the service manager, found out who did the oil change and went up one side of him, then he told the servive manager that from now one only the senior tech touches my car and that my next oil change will be free... He offered to pay for an engine shampoo but I already have her all cleaned up...

And that is exactly why I bought the car from him...

I spent the day detailing, got her all shined up!!

I even crawled under and cleaned the inside of the rims!!

Engine bay is spotless... Well, pretty close to it... Hard to get in there with all the wires and hoses in the way!!

DSC09688.JPG

DSC09689.JPG

Oh yeah, I put the chrome FRP shifter in today, it took like 10 min... Going to get the factory one turned down to match the 2010 ball thread... I wanted to put the 2010 ball on the FRP shifter but I would have to cut the metal base off the knob and do some major modification... Still may try...

I got the ramps from Autozone but if I had to do it over, I would get the kind that won't slide any. By your photo, it looks like the Shelby takes 7 quarts of oil, is that right? What type Ford oil filter is that? I only have 300 miles on my car even though I've had it for 6 months and I'm ready to do my first oil change. Your input is appreciated..

Archived