TEAM SHELBY FORUM

USED Car – American or Foreign

Hey there,

Just thinking here – looking for opinions. I am in a situation where I am forced to sell my 2003 Mach1 (not what I want to do – just have no choice at this point in my life). I have to find another vehicle – something that gets MUCH better mileage (and doesn’t require premium fuel). And, that I can purchase with the proceeds of the sale of my Mach1.

The American versus Foreign topic seems to get discussed here more than on other forums I belong to. So – now the question. Since the car is used – does it really make any difference if its an American car or a foreign car? The thought is that the foreign manufacturer benefited form the original sale of the car – but not necessarily from the re-sale of the car.

Thoughts?

Page

Basically correct!

The profit made by the manufacturer has already been made and that money has already been sent back to their country. Upon resale as a used vehicle the manufacturer has nothing to do with and any profit made on resale is all profit to the particular seller.

The only other issues would be future profits from parts needed, but parts are made all over the world for all manufacturers. The bulk of original profit is made by the manufacturer when the car is sold new.

Oh no, Shelbydude is watching. You're in trouble now!

Not at all -actualy good that hes watching.

So far, (no flames here please) - I have been leaning towards a used Chevy HHR. Good mileage, 49 Chevy kinda look, good utility (can lower the rear seats and carry stuff). Am considering a Fusoin or Focus also.

Even if you buy a used foreign car, you're advertising for them and buying their parts - but - obviously the large bulk of the $$$ has been sent overseas already by the original purchaser.

Even if you buy a used foreign car, you're advertising for them and buying their parts - but - obviously the large bulk of the $$$ has been sent overseas already by the original purchaser.

+1

The Fusion, Focus, or HHR would all be great choices IMO. Good luck!

Ken

Not at all -actualy good that hes watching.

So far, (no flames here please) - I have been leaning towards a used Chevy HHR. Good mileage, 49 Chevy kinda look, good utility (can lower the rear seats and carry stuff). Am considering a Fusoin or Focus also.

I have a used 08 Chevy HHR with 35k miles. Dark Blue.

There is a Dodge Dealer close to Tallahassee that was advertising NEW PT Cruisers for $7,995.00. I am sure they are the Base Models but still, thats cheap. Check out the Dodge Dealerships if you have a couple Grand to put dowm. 2008/2009 models still on the Lots going super cheep and with Bumper to Bumper waranty.......................

Even if you buy a used import (at a dealership) you are helping keep their resale prices high. More demand for them drives prices higher. Less demand - etc. A co-worker bought (at a Honda dealership) a used 2000 Honda 4dr accord with 140K miles on it for $7000 :doh: . (And it's been falling apart ever since.) Why would anyone want to do that? Now if that was a 2000 Taurus or Impala, probably wouldn't get more than $3000. What we buy determines the prices and values.

:lurk:

IMO get a civic (almost any year) or a Taurus (early to mid 90's) Either of these things seem to run forever.

Wasn't that the Taurus years with the lousy transmissions? I had a 1996 and put 105k miles on it with no issues at all.

Wasn't that the Taurus years with the lousy transmissions? I had a 1996 and put 105k miles on it with no issues at all.

I also agree that buying import even if used helps support the brand, many other countries have terriffic brand loyality for their domestic mfg (and some driven by serious import taxes on autos not made in thier

country), wish we had a bit more of this in our country.

I am in a similar boat, I put a great deal of though into this topic, and decided to buy american for multiple reasons. I looking for a new daily driver,

I think the americans are now making a much better car than before (especially Ford), have an SHO on order, but

the C&D review this week of the standard Taurus indicates the brakes are subpar (especially for the money), all indication is that the SHO has the same brakes, on only upgrades the pads on the performance option,

this is a bit of a dissappointment, a performance sedan that gets out stopped by some SUVs... so I may have to rethink how I fulfill my full size AWD sedan needs....

I also agree, the early 90's Taurus did in fact have some tranny issues, we had a fleet of them at a previouis employer and they dropped out like clockwork around 70k...

FP

There is a Dodge Dealer close to Tallahassee that was advertising NEW PT Cruisers for $7,995.00. I am sure they are the Base Models but still, thats cheap. Check out the Dodge Dealerships if you have a couple Grand to put dowm. 2008/2009 models still on the Lots going super cheep and with Bumper to Bumper waranty.......................

David I think they must have left a " 1 " from in front of the 7. No way a brand new PT Cruiser sells for $8k. The Dodge Caliber entry level car doesn't even sell for that low of a price. Heck I can't hink of any new car that sells for $8k

Steve

At this point in time it's every man for himself, get the one that's the best deal for you!

David I think they must have left a " 1 " from in front of the 7. No way a brand new PT Cruiser sells for $8k. The Dodge Caliber entry level car doesn't even sell for that low of a price. Heck I can't hink of any new car that sells for $8k

Steve

Nope....the price was $7,995.00. They also had NEW Crew Cab Dodge Rams fully loaded for just $17,995.00

Speaking of helping Foreign Companies............... Pull the Rear Spoiler off your Car and turn it over......... "MADE IN CHINA"................ yep, No telling how many Parts on our Mustangs are "MADE IN CHINA".

Speaking of helping Foreign Companies............... Pull the Rear Spoiler off your Car and turn it over......... "MADE IN CHINA"................ yep, No telling how many Parts on out Mustangs are "MADE IN CHINA".

Thats true of MANY parts on our American cars. Look at the window sticker - engine and transmission build location should be on there (they are here in CA at least). You will find it VERY common to have both built in some overseas plant.

Thats true of MANY parts on our American cars. Look at the window sticker - engine and transmission build location should be on there (they are here in CA at least). You will find it VERY common to have both built in some overseas plant.

Is that the reason some companies have changed from "Made in the USA" to "Assembled in the USA" ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived